VW 508 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green like any other oil or green like any other VW 508 00?

It most certainly is not. Where does it say that anywhere in your literature for your car?

The reason it is dyed is to prevent its use in a engine that requires a higher HT/HS than a 508 00 oil, not the other way around. Each time I have taken my new Tiguan into Volkswagen for the free oil changes I have requested they use 504 00 oil instead and they have done so without even asking why. A warranty is voided when the oil causes engine damage and there is zero possibility that a 504 00 oil will do so as compared to a 508 00.

This. VW 508 00 isn't backwards compatible, so it has to be avoided to be run
in previous engines (calling for VW 502 00 or 504 00). That's why it's dyed.
It's most probably true that VWoA doesn't want the OP running VW 504 00 in
his 2021 GLI, but that isn't because it would harm that engine. It's just because
of CAFE. In a real world scenario they won't even notice as long as one does
additional oil changes as suggested (I said I'd change it right now and use an
OE filter).

Green like any other oil or green like any other VW 508 00?

This. VW 508 00 isn't backwards compatible, so it has to be avoided to be run
in previous engines (calling for VW 502 00 or 504 00). That's why it's dyed.
It's most probably true that VWoA doesn't want the OP running VW 504 00 in
his 2021 GLI, but that isn't because it would harm that engine. It's just because
of CAFE. In a real world scenario they won't even notice as long as one does
additional oil changes as suggested (I said I'd change it right now and use an
OE filter).

I meant it looks like the other oils (not 508 specifically), I didn't see any significant difference in terms of color. Unless they use a special light to see something in it, I really doubt that there is a special dye in 508.

I can send a picture if you guys want to see

Last edited:
I meant it looks like the other oils (not 508 specifically), I didn't see any significant difference in terms of color. Unless they use a special light to see something in it, I really doubt that there is a special dye in 508.

I can send a picture if you guys want to see
It is a requirement of the VW 508 00 specification that a dye is added (it's a visible-spectrum dye, not UV) - any oil that is formally approved to 508 00 must have a dye. There is also a chemical marker requirement, so that misapplication can be detected by analysis if required.

Hey guys,

I was checking my owner's manual and could not see anything about 508.00 0w20 approval. This is what it says

View attachment 75957

So far I have put about 1400 kms on my '21 GLI. It burned 0.3 qt oil in the first 300 kms, and I topped it off to max. Now I am at 1350 km and I found that it burned another 0.4 qt. Oil was just a little bit over the half mark both times. Seems like consumption slowed down quite a bit, hopefully it will be better the more I drive it.

Ok here is the question: If VW requires 508 oil, why they didn't put it in owner's manual? The only thing that I can find 508 approval is the sticker under the hood, but don't you guys think that I should refer to owner's manual? According to the manual I should use any 0w30 with SN and A3/B4 approval.

I know they said use A3/B4 for emergency, but they didn't say 508 is required anywhere.

If I know that it would not void warranty, I'd switch to 504.00 as there are more options, it is significantly cheaper and safer for spirited driving (autox-track etc).

Am I missing something here?
Have you even opened your hood of the car and checked for the required engine oil sticker? not the online "owner's manual" on VW.ca, since even the 1.4TSI has the same verbiage.

The website, even lists the 2018 Tiguan as using VW502.00 which is wrong, as it definitively takes 508.00

Last edited:
After a few hundred miles the dye dissipates..........I have seen it in my car with 508 oil. When the oil is fresh the color is more green than blue.

These new oil reccomendations target oxidation, better HT/HS , lspi, and cleaning.

Look for oils with resistance to oxidation and lspi, otherwise the grade of oil shouldn't matter.

I love volkswagen but I really hate their claims of "engine damage" and so fourth of using 0w30!!! You're better off running 0w30 or 0w40.

I love volkswagen but I really hate their claims of "engine damage" and so fourth of using 0w30!!! You're better off running 0w30 or 0w40.
They do not make that claim. What they claim is the same as every other manufacturer that puts their CAFE mandated warning in the manual. At its core however what it means is using an oil with an insufficient HT/HS is what may cause damage. They know just like everyone else that a higher HT/HS does not damage an engine.

Was told that by the VW dealer. Special dye is in 508 to prevent people filling the engine with 5W-30 or 40 weight oils.

Was told that by the VW dealer. Special dye is in 508 to prevent people filling the engine with 5W-30 or 40 weight oils.
True, its a blue/green dye. Impossible to noticed once the oil is used, maybe with a lab instrument !? I mix " green" 0W20 508 with "gold" 0W40 to bring the blend close to a 30 weight oil, while keeping its greenish color

It's to prevent people from filing other engines that require a higher HT/HS with the 508 00 oil. This is the basis for the warning in the owner's manual.

Note that the warning mentions possible damage, this is the only way an engine could be damaged by the oil. No engine is going to be damaged by an oil with a somewhat higher HT/HS.

Also the statement that VW issued with the availability of 508 00 oil was that it was not backwards compatible. That means it is not to be used in those engines which do not specify the approval.

Basically 508 is a very high quality, mid saps, 0W20 motor oil with around a 2.6 HTHS, SA
Every VW 508 I've used (Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline) has been blue/green tinted. I believe the VW spec demands it. However as noted upstream, once in engine for a few hundred miles, it seems to become more amber.

At this point I don't think a good quality API SP/ ILSAC GF-5/6 0w20 is much different than the ACEA C5/6 standard. The specs for API and ACEA "C" seem to have converged for the low viscosity 0W20 offerings.

Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0w-20 Meets/Exceeds wording

• API SP/SN PLUS
  • ILSAC GF-6
  • ACEA A1/B1, ACEA C5
  • Meets Ford WSS-M2C947-B1
  • Meets Ford WSS-M2C962-A1
  • Fiat 9.55535-CR1, Fiat 9.55535-GSX
  • MB 229.71
  • GM dexos1® Gen 2*

Hey guys,

I was checking my owner's manual and could not see anything about 508.00 0w20 approval. This is what it says

View attachment 75957

So far I have put about 1400 kms on my '21 GLI. It burned 0.3 qt oil in the first 300 kms, and I topped it off to max. Now I am at 1350 km and I found that it burned another 0.4 qt. Oil was just a little bit over the half mark both times. Seems like consumption slowed down quite a bit, hopefully it will be better the more I drive it.

Ok here is the question: If VW requires 508 oil, why they didn't put it in owner's manual? The only thing that I can find 508 approval is the sticker under the hood, but don't you guys think that I should refer to owner's manual? According to the manual I should use any 0w30 with SN and A3/B4 approval.

I know they said use A3/B4 for emergency, but they didn't say 508 is required anywhere.

If I know that it would not void warranty, I'd switch to 504.00 as there are more options, it is significantly cheaper and safer for spirited driving (autox-track etc).

Am I missing something here?
This is Frank, add me to another confused guy with my 2022 audi q3, on the hood just show SAW 0w-20, VW 508 00, I am looking for replacement equal oil other than Audi oil.

Thanks

Frank

I researched at Castrol.com, found few link shows VW 508 / 509 ( deiseal)

Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife IV FE 0W-20
dated: 13 May 2020

Castrol EDGE 0W-20 LL IV
dated: 20 Jul 2021

Looked at this two amazon.com link, neither on the description of the bottle or spec shows vw 508 00 /509 00 on it, also the title details is not match.

Any thought?

Frank

Thanks, Rand, i saw on the bottle showed 508 / 509, but the price is $69, I rather get the oil change kit at

for $70.66 may be plus the tax.

Frank

Thanks, Rand, i saw on the bottle showed 508 / 509, but the price is $69, I rather get the oil change kit at

for $70.66 may be plus the tax.

Frank
if you really want to mail order go
https://www.fcpeuro.com/ has free shipping
and pay with paypal.

then next oil change you return your oil for "lifetime warranty" (Oil filter too)
get free new oil.. oh and the paypal you get free return shipping.. for using it.

I was only linking amazon because the mobil 1 site takes 60s to load for me... so I used the amazon product link.

if you really want to mail order go
https://www.fcpeuro.com/ has free shipping
and pay with paypal.

then next oil change you return your oil for "lifetime warranty" (Oil filter too)
get free new oil.. oh and the paypal you get free return shipping.. for using it.

I was only linking amazon because the mobil 1 site takes 60s to load for me... so I used the amazon product link.
how you return the same oil i order from fceuro? I got confused.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back