VW 508 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I was checking my owner's manual and could not see anything about 508.00 0w20 approval. This is what it says

1635565391547.png

So far I have put about 1400 kms on my '21 GLI. It burned 0.3 qt oil in the first 300 kms, and I topped it off to max. Now I am at 1350 km and I found that it burned another 0.4 qt. Oil was just a little bit over the half mark both times. Seems like consumption slowed down quite a bit, hopefully it will be better the more I drive it.

Ok here is the question: If VW requires 508 oil, why they didn't put it in owner's manual? The only thing that I can find 508 approval is the sticker under the hood, but don't you guys think that I should refer to owner's manual? According to the manual I should use any 0w30 with SN and A3/B4 approval.

I know they said use A3/B4 for emergency, but they didn't say 508 is required anywhere.

If I know that it would not void warranty, I'd switch to 504.00 as there are more options, it is significantly cheaper and safer for spirited driving (autox-track etc).

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
VW oil recommendations strike again! Confusing North American drivers since 1997.

What car is it?

It's 2021 VW Jetta GLI with 2.0 TSI EA888 Gen 3 engine
It's in our 2021 owners manual.

I couldn't find it in digital owner's manual, then I went to my car and grabbed actual owner's manual and still couldn't find it. Maybe Canadian version is different.

Also, should I be worried about the oil consumption regardless of oil approval or viscosity? Manual says it is normal for the first 5000 kms, but still it makes me nervous.

I couldn't find it in digital owner's manual, then I went to my car and grabbed actual owner's manual and still couldn't find it.

Also, should I be worried about the oil consumption regardless of oil approval or viscosity? Manual says it is normal for the first 5000 kms, but still it makes me nervous.
Ours is the 1.4 TSI, but I have read both the 1.4 and 2.0 can be consumers, yet it seems to happen during break in. No issues so far with ours but I did the first oil change at 1000 miles and we are only at 1800 miles now.

i hope your consumption gets better as that kind of consumption is bs. Also doesn't that year have the new direct and port injected variant.

I couldn't find it in digital owner's manual, then I went to my car and grabbed actual owner's manual and still couldn't find it. Maybe Canadian version is different.

GLI should be VW504.00/507.00 unless they changed it last few months.
This happens all the time with VW.

i hope your consumption gets better as that kind of consumption is bs. Also doesn't that year have the new direct and port injected variant.
Thanks, I think this is DI only. DI +PFI is for Euro market as far as I know.
Ours is the 1.4 TSI, but I have read both the 1.4 and 2.0 can be consumers, yet it seems to happen during break in. No issues so far with ours but I did the first oil change at 1000 miles and we are only at 1800 miles now.
Thanks for sharing it. I'll change the factory oil probably around Christmas. I was planning wait till I hit 3k mile -5k km but decided to change it early and see if it changes anything.
GLI should be VW504.00/507.00 unless they changed it last few months.
This happens all the time with VW.
Mk7 GLI and Mk7.5 GTI and I think all other EA888s switched to 508.00 since 2019.

Guys,

I have just found that I may have exaggerated the amount of oil consumption. It seems like it burned 0.1 qts after 350 km, but somehow the dipstick showed slightly above half mark that's the reason why I assumed 0.3-0.4 qts as it was closer to half. So I guess minimum to maximum on dipstick is less than a liter/quart

Now dipstick shows pretty much same level after 1000 km (around 1350 total), assuming it burned another 0.1 qts - didn't add any oil yet to see if it goes down to minimum level. I will monitor closely.

That still doesn't change the fact that VW should be clearer in their owners manual about approved oil(s). It says nothing but emergency oil options which is quite confusing - especially for a person coming from Honda world where any oil is the best oil.

Here is remaining oil level in the bottle that I used to top off after 350 km

Photo 2021-10-30, 00 57 57.jpg

Last edited:
Guys,

That still doesn't change the fact that VW should be clearer in their owners manual about approved oil(s). It says nothing but emergency oil options which is quite confusing - especially for a person coming from Honda world where any oil is the best oil.

View attachment 75961
VW no longer puts recommendations in the owners manual, there should be a sticker under the hood that tells you the exact specification required.

My Euro spec 7.5 GTI doesn't have ANY kind of sticker or mention in the
manual. It's a Volkswagen . . . . 😅

Mk7 GLI and Mk7.5 GTI and I think all other EA888s switched to 508.00 since 2019.

Except Golf R and Audi S3 I believe. They kept running VW 504 00 for some
time at least. Not sure on their latest revisions (Golf R Mk8 and S3 8Y). If
there's VW 508 00 from factory in a new Volkswagen you should see it as
this oil is lightly colored turquoise/cyan while VW 504 00 is golden just like
very most PCMOs.
I'm rather optimistic your oil consumption will settle to a decent level soon.
My GTI uses almost no oil - perhaps 1 liter/10.000 km. Of course it depends
on driving style. Regular daily driving means no perceptible oil consumption
while full throttle over several hours and hundreds of kilometers can result in
0.2 l less. I actually mean full throttle with speeds up to 255 km/h. It has a bit
over 50.000 km on the clock.
If I were you I'd change my oil right now and switch to something VW 504 00
without letting the dealer know. Use an OE VW filter to make it most stealth.
You can easily reuse the plastic drain plug and O-ring. It's reasonably safe up
to 30.000 km and two years since that's the Euro spec maximum OLM interval.

Your snip from the owners manual says right on it to follow the sticker.

Did you look up the online OM by VIN.

Using around 1L oil in the first 10,000 miles with minimal consumption thereafter would be pretty Typical based on the 'Tex.

Our 1.4 didn't use that much.

508 contains dye. If you have an engine issue and the dye is not found in the oil in a car that requires 508, warranty is void.

its a vw. forget the italian tune up give it a german tune up.
Guys,

I have just found that I may have exaggerated the amount of oil consumption. It seems like it burned 0.1 qts after 350 km, but somehow the dipstick showed slightly above half mark that's the reason why I assumed 0.3-0.4 qts as it was closer to half. So I guess minimum to maximum on dipstick is less than a liter/quart

Now dipstick shows pretty much same level after 1000 km (around 1350 total), assuming it burned another 0.1 qts - didn't add any oil yet to see if it goes down to minimum level. I will monitor closely.

Here is remaining oil level in the bottle that I used to top off after 350 km

View attachment 75961
Well it's better to be precautious than careless.

Go with the sticker under the hood, in VW world the sticker trumps all VW manual confuse speak. But VW 508 0w20 s the correct spec for that car anyway.

I've got a 2021 as well but a 1.4. I too was nervous about the 0w20 at first, but it's my understanding VW has made some tweaks to accomodate it. The car is running so well on it and break in consumption has only been about 4 ounces (now at 2k) so I've made peace with it and will continue to run VW 508 0w20.

As mentioned the VW 508's do have a special identifying dye in them so it's a breeze for the dealer to check. It's a new car, don't jeopardize your warranty. VW 508 is also probably about the toughest spec'd 0w20 out there, so it's good stuff.

On the lubricant specification page and Table, it does not have the required approvals listed along with the Sump Capacity ?

My lease 2019 VW Jetta used no oil with the factory fill or through break-in, then when I did an OC and used Motul 508, it started using oil rather heavily, I topped off with some M1 0W40 FS and the usage stopped and the engine consumed none for over 6K miles till I turned the vehicle in. Well, at least the DS level was near the FULL marker.

508 contains dye. If you have an engine issue and the dye is not found in the oil in a car that requires 508, warranty is void.
It most certainly is not. Where does it say that anywhere in your literature for your car?

The reason it is dyed is to prevent its use in a engine that requires a higher HT/HS than a 508 00 oil, not the other way around. Each time I have taken my new Tiguan into Volkswagen for the free oil changes I have requested they use 504 00 oil instead and they have done so without even asking why. A warranty is voided when the oil causes engine damage and there is zero possibility that a 504 00 oil will do so as compared to a 508 00.

It most certainly is not. Where does it say that anywhere in your literature for your car?

The reason it is dyed is to prevent its use in a engine that requires a higher HT/HS than a 508 00 oil, not the other way around. Each time I have taken my new Tiguan into Volkswagen for the free oil changes I have requested they use 504 00 oil instead and they have done so without even asking why. A warranty is voided when the oil causes engine damage and there is zero possibility that a 504 00 oil will do so as compared to a 508 00.

I wonder if all 508.00 oils have same dye, or just VW/Audi branded oil.

If it's just specific for VW/Audi, then we have no other option. We don't have many options here in Canada anyways, in fact it's cheaper than other 508 oils.

My Euro spec 7.5 GTI doesn't have ANY kind of sticker or mention in the
manual. It's a Volkswagen . . . . 😅

Except Golf R and Audi S3 I believe. They kept running VW 504 00 for some
time at least. Not sure on their latest revisions (Golf R Mk8 and S3 8Y). If
there's VW 508 00 from factory in a new Volkswagen you should see it as
this oil is lightly colored turquoise/cyan while VW 504 00 is golden just like
very most PCMOs.
I'm rather optimistic your oil consumption will settle to a decent level soon.
My GTI uses almost no oil - perhaps 1 liter/10.000 km. Of course it depends
on driving style. Regular daily driving means no perceptible oil consumption
while full throttle over several hours and hundreds of kilometers can result in
0.2 l less. I actually mean full throttle with speeds up to 255 km/h. It has a bit
over 50.000 km on the clock.
If I were you I'd change my oil right now and switch to something VW 504 00
without letting the dealer know. Use an OE VW filter to make it most stealth.
You can easily reuse the plastic drain plug and O-ring. It's reasonably safe up
to 30.000 km and two years since that's the Euro spec maximum OLM interval.
I topped it off with OEM VW 508 oil and it was green like any other oil.

Maybe they use blue light to see their "special" dye? Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back