VW 504 5w30 ok to replace 0w30 ?

If in the U.S.:

Liquimoly Special Tech 5W30 kit(s) from FCP Euro and going forward you can get them for free with return. Delivered to your house.

Edit. Opps...you are in Oz. Not sure what is what there.

Liqui Moly is very expensive in OZ , its about $120 AUD for a 5lt bottle

I have been using Mobil 1 esp 5w30 for quite a while now about 11 years but it was the made in France bottles that we got locally until last year, im unsure where its now made in but i know its not the same as what i have in the garage atm .

Will probably make the switch to Shell Helix ECT C2 C3 0w30 when i run out of Mobil 1 for the Tig R

Liqui Moly is very expensive in OZ , its about $120 AUD for a 5lt bottle

I have been using Mobil 1 esp 5w30 for quite a while now about 11 years but it was the made in France bottles that we got locally until last year, im unsure where its now made in but i know its not the same as what i have in the garage atm .

Will probably make the switch to Shell Helix ECT C2 C3 0w30 when i run out of Mobil 1 for the Tig R
Understood - I'd find the cheapest oil with teh approval you need then. Here I can the LM kits for nearly free through a vendor with a lifetime retrun policy. Even at full price, the kits aren't outrageous...about $75 for an oil change including filter and drain plug. Certainly more than M1 etc. you can get at Walmart etc. that would be closer to $45.

Hi guys , i have quite a few VAG cars in the extended family that require 5w30 504 spec oils so i have a decent stash on hand of mobil 1 esp 5w30 . I recently took delivery of a 2023 Tiguan R ( ea888 evo4 high output ) with the same engine as the mk8 R . Is it ok to use the M1 esp 5w30 or should i go and find a suitable 0w30 504 spec ? The sticker in the engine bay say it was filled with 0w30 , must i stick with 0w30 or will 504 spec in a different viscosity be fine in regards to keeping the engine happy and warranty as long as its 504 ?
508 Spec for 2023 Tiguan

I recommend Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Motor Oil 1 QT, Case of 6 https://a.co/d/6DSIdcn

Or 0w-30

508 is OEM spec for tiguans not 504

Apparently VW has been voiding warranties for using oils out of spec since we just bought ours brand new I’m just gonna run oem spec oil lol
Apparently you're just pulling this out of thin air or from some Internet board chatter? They certainly didn't void my warranty here.

How do you recommend 0W30 when VW508.00/509.00 is only 0W20?

OP said the sticker under the hood stated 0w30? Which is odd as normally the sticker has the spec not the weight/viscosity anymore.

Different engine entirely. He’s not in the US.

Which brings up a couple interesting questions such as is the engine 508 rated in other countries? Be interesting if the OP posted a picture.

OP said the sticker under the hood stated 0w30? Which is odd as normally the sticker has the spec not the weight/viscosity anymore.

Which brings up a couple interesting questions such as is the engine 508 rated in other countries? Be interesting if the OP posted a picture.
He said 0W20 or 0W30.
VW508.00/509.00 is ONLY 0W20 oil.
Same as VW504.00/507.00 is ONLY 0/5W30.

That being said, reason why VW put grade is to (IMO) makes it easier for people to just get oil in the dealership and be done. in the US VW puts grade on vehicles requiring VW 504.00/507.00 (not sure about those that require VW508.00/509.00).
In reality, the only thing that matters is actual approval. That being said, approval is a minimum requirement, which means some approved oil might be "better" than others.
And yes, different markets have different oil "requirements." Due to the fact the CAFE is calculated, it pays off for manufacturers to use lighter oils here in the US.

He said 0W20 or 0W30.
VW508.00/509.00 is ONLY 0W20 oil.
Same as VW504.00/507.00 is ONLY 0/5W30.

Rrriiiiggghhhtttt.

So why were you confused about someone suggesting 0w30? Yes 508 is only 0w20.....but if the OEM is stating 0w30 is ok then they have to be not requiring 508 only.

And yes I understand CAFE and yes that was the point I was getting at when people freak out about these "high efficiency" oils being unobtanium and must be used when the nearly identical engines in other countries run other specs.

Rrriiiiggghhhtttt.

So why were you confused about someone suggesting 0w30? Yes 508 is only 0w20.....but if the OEM is stating 0w30 is ok then they have to be not requiring 508 only.

And yes I understand CAFE and yes that was the point I was getting at when people freak out about these "high efficiency" oils being unobtanium and must be used when the nearly identical engines in other countries run other specs.
It cannot state VW508.00/509.00 and 0W30. That would be mistake on part of VW. Which, granted, would be totally normal for VW to do considering their past confusing recommendations.

He stated 0W20 Valvoline etc. or 0W30. That suggests that both 0W20 and 0W30 are VW508.00/509.00 which is impossible.

Hi guys , i have quite a few VAG cars in the extended family that require 5w30 504 spec oils so i have a decent stash on hand of mobil 1 esp 5w30 . I recently took delivery of a 2023 Tiguan R ( ea888 evo4 high output ) with the same engine as the mk8 R . Is it ok to use the M1 esp 5w30 or should i go and find a suitable 0w30 504 spec ? The sticker in the engine bay say it was filled with 0w30 , must i stick with 0w30 or will 504 spec in a different viscosity be fine in regards to keeping the engine happy and warranty as long as its 504 ?

I quoted OP to settle the arguing.

Clearly this is a non-us market Tiguan R (with the golf R engine, a performance tuned version of the EA888) and not the neutered US version.

His engine says 504 and 0W-30 (like what VW is doing on other 888 models (my atlas included).

OP asks if 5w30 504 is ok or if 0W-30 is needed.

I think the answer is pretty obvious that either is fine provided they meet the 504 spec.

I quoted OP to settle the arguing.

Clearly this is a non-us market Tiguan R (with the golf R engine, a performance tuned version of the EA888) and not the neutered US version.

His engine says 504 and 0W-30 (like what VW is doing on other 888 models (my atlas included).

OP asks if 5w30 504 is ok or if 0W-30 is needed.

I think the answer is pretty obvious that either is fine provided they meet the 504 spec.
Bingo. Not that difficult to understand. Obviously this is a ROW Tiguan with different engine. Seems @javipagan1 blurred the lines when he stated that 508.00 is for TIGUANS. As in ALL Tiguans. US Tigs? Yes. ROW Tigs (Allspace)? Maybe. Maybe not, such as this case. Can't throw a blanket over ALL of a VW product and expect it to be identical everywhere.

Last edited:
Back