VW 2.5L problem list

Hey everyone, if any of you will ever consider buying a volkswagen with a 5 cylinder here is a list of problems I have faced and some that might happen:

1. ABS module going bad (the problem 9/10 times is a bad connection where the connectors connect)
2. Coil packs and spark plugs causing misfires
3. Vacuum pump leaking alot (No need to buy a new one, you can get a gasket rebuild kit)
4. Coolant rusting (G11 coolant doesn't even last all to well compared to asian and american coolants, flushing and replacing with green coolant is OK, but using G11 is preferred if you can't live without staying in spec)
5. Potentially the timing chain wearing out due to going over OCI, mostly happens when changing every 10,000 miles. I haven't had this problem with HDEO's though.
6. Decreased throttle response (fuel filter issues , throttle body, or air filter)
7. EPC tripping, replacing knock sensor.

i've had all of these happen beside timing chain issues.

Really reliable engine.

We loved our 2.5L rabbit. Our only issue was the valve in the AC compressor (no clutch). Had a shop evac, replace the valve, and refill by mass. Pretty painless really.

Hey everyone, if any of you will ever consider buying a volkswagen with a 5 cylinder here is a list of problems I have faced and some that might happen:

1. ABS module going bad (the problem 9/10 times is a bad connection where the connectors connect)
2. Coil packs and spark plugs causing misfires
3. Vacuum pump leaking alot (No need to buy a new one, you can get a gasket rebuild kit)
4. Coolant rusting (G11 coolant doesn't even last all to well compared to asian and american coolants, flushing and replacing with green coolant is OK, but using G11 is preferred if you can't live without staying in spec)
5. Potentially the timing chain wearing out due to going over OCI, mostly happens when changing every 10,000 miles. I haven't had this problem with HDEO's though.
6. Decreased throttle response (fuel filter issues , throttle body, or air filter)
7. EPC tripping, replacing knock sensor.

i've had all of these happen beside timing chain issues.

Really reliable engine.

Where all these problems covered under the warranty ?

Seems like a lot of problems.

G48 (G11/TL 774 C) in current form is a relatively long lasting coolant. it has the same organic additives as G12+ (G30). many mercedes and volvos are still on their factory g48 fill.

regardless G11 hasn’t been used by VW in over 25 years. it’s been superseded by G12+ G12++ G13 and G12 EVO, all of which are approved for service fill

Last edited:
I have seen timing chain wear blamed on 10k OCI's countless times, but never a single thing to back it up. Is this just an old wives tale that will not die, or is there some kind of real source for it?

I have seen timing chain wear blamed on 10k OCI's countless times, but never a single thing to back it up. Is this just an old wives tale that will not die, or is there some kind of real source for it?
Im not really sure about the 10k oci's, but all i know is that by 10k the oil is diluted somewhat, but not too much. It could be cold start weight issue aswell, at least with VW 2.5's.

The 2.5 has a pretty decent reputation as far as VW engines go. VW's sure aren't Toyota's maintenance wise but in most cases they really aren't the nightmares believed by many.

Im not really sure about the 10k oci's, but all i know is that by 10k the oil is diluted somewhat, but not too much. It could be cold start weight issue aswell, at least with VW 2.5's.
There’s no such thing as a “cold start weight” issue unless the winter rating of the oil is so inappropriate for the starting conditions that it has gelled and cannot be pumped. Otherwise any winter rating is too thick at startup. No SAE grade oil is too thin at startup unless you are saying the fuel dilution has diluted the oil so severely it causes damage?

Off topic, but are the oils you use in your cars in your signature supposed to be sarcastic?

i think it started around the time of the GM 3.6, late 2000s?

then somebody else invented the “abrasive GDI soot rapidly wears down timing chain” theory that’s constantly repeated around here

There’s no such thing as a “cold start weight” issue unless the winter rating of the oil is so inappropriate for the starting conditions that it has gelled and cannot be pumped. Otherwise any winter rating is too thick at startup. No SAE grade oil is too thin at startup unless you are saying the fuel dilution has diluted the oil so severely it causes damage?
By cold start I mean whats appropriate for climate, yes if your living in the cold, yes by all means a thinner oil is the way to go, and yes with the fuel dilution.

No, these problems occurred at 200,000 miles, the vacuum pump at 90k
Geez, you conveniently left that bit out. At 200K the car owes you nothing. BTW I have a 2005 Jetta with that engine I bought in 2012 and have stored since then. Start it up every 6 months or so and it starts right up like I drove it yesterday.

agree.... that’s all that went wrong in 200k? That’s pretty good! And good one you for getting it there, looks like you did some things right!

agree.... that’s all that went wrong in 200k? That’s pretty good! And good one you for getting it there, looks like you did some things right!
Nothing out of the ordinary, these are very hardcore engines, almost bulletproof. Even the electronics still work and its been subjected to the outside in the hot Georgia heat. I wish it was manual, but then it would be dead by now haha

I can't comment on the reliability of my wife's 2013 Jetta 2.5 as it was totaled in a head on collision at only a year old, but I did love the sound that 2.5 made during acceleration.

The main problems I had with my previous 2008 Rabbit were door locks. All had to be replaced. But I didn’t have the other problems listed, however I sold it with 50k miles to buy my GTI.

Wife has a 2008 Rabbit with about 140K miles; we bought it new. As others have mentioned, I've had to replace the control valve in the AC compressor twice along with the AC pressure switch. I've also had to replace the door locks. Otherwise, it's been extremely reliable, just basic maintenance. Great car, really.

I run M1 0W-40 and until 120K miles or so ran 10K OCIs. The car doesn't get driven much, so I have been doing one year OCIs in recent years.

Wife has a 2008 Rabbit with about 140K miles; we bought it new. As others have mentioned, I've had to replace the control valve in the AC compressor twice along with the AC pressure switch. I've also had to replace the door locks. Otherwise, it's been extremely reliable, just basic maintenance. Great car, really.

I run M1 0W-40 and until 120K miles or so ran 10K OCIs. The car doesn't get driven much, so I have been doing one year OCIs in recent years.
How many miles does your 2.5 have? Have you been using 0w40 since you started owning it? Just curious

Back