VSOT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched high and low about VSOT, seems it was in favor then fell out. Does it contain any Moly? Or does it just thicken oil like STP and Lucas?

I have a shot at buying 12 bottles for a pretty good price. I might flip it for a few extra $$, or keep it for myself.

TIA,
AD

Thanks I guess I'll grab it. What made it so popular on the board?

AD

My understanding was that the original VSOT had a robust additive package. Later it was dumbed down because of catalytic converter concerns (Zn & P). I think the only VSOT is labeled for Professional use and it is still supposed to be very good. I'd check the Valvoline website to see if it is still made.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Try VSOT in the search for VOA's and go all the way back 5 years. Then see which version they are offering you.

I checked and saw mixed reviews. The VSOT product I'm looking to buy is product #066, and it says 1999. I'm not sure if this was before a reformulation (good) or after (bad). Or they never changed it and it was a rumor that it was changed. I'm looking at 12 bottles for $10, so its not like it will break the bank. All Valvoline said in an email was the product is discontinued, but I already knew that.

THANKS GUYS!
AD

Sounds like a good deal. I'm not sure when/if they altered the formula, 1999 I'm thinking was the good stuff. Maybe a VSOT expert will chime in.

Thanks Eddie,

What was it that made this stuff so good? ZDDP, Moly?

AD

Last edited:
I analyzed this stuff some time ago. Too bad the search on this site doesn't go beyond 5 years.

Working from memory, I detected Mo, S, Zn, P in the mix, suggesting the formula has both MoS2 and ZDDP.

Looks like it wouldn't take too much to bring the oil you add it to up a grade. 1oz/qt would probably be a good dose of it.

AD

If you have the stuff that had all the goodies still in it, 1 oz/qt would raise the Z and P numbers by 100-200 ppm, boost the moly and B a bit, maybe 50-90 ppm? Cannot remember the exact numbers though.

Does it do anything with the viscosity at the 1 oz/qt dose? I have a few bottles left #066 vintage 1999. Searching the VOA section got me confused since I don't know if that's the "good stuff"?

It is so thick that it will raise the Viscosity a couple of points.
I think it was tested at around 80-100 cSt at 100deg C.
1999 was definitely before the additives were reduced. I think that occurred around 2005 but would have to go look at ld postings to be sure. It was around the advent of SM oil, within 6 mos of the SM rollout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back