VQ37 oil recommendation

To stay in the 30 grade for warranty I'd Pennzoil platinum euro L it. If you're feeling adventurous I'd go for the Quaker state euro 5w-40 but in truth both of the oils are within 1cst of each other at 100c. They're so close and I'd argue the Quaker state is better since it's both better rated and cheaper too. And I've heard that QSUD QSE and Pennzoil platinum are extremely similar.

When I had my Nissan 370Z with the VQ37 engine I ran Redline 05-W30 almost exclusively with 5000 OCI's and used a Fram Ultra filter that I changed every other oil change. I had very good Blackstone reports with that combo.

You asked about a brand that was readily available at Walmart which I understand, but I was ordering the Redline online with free shipping to my front door for about $12 a quart and didn't have to endure a trip to Walmart. There is something to say about that advantage if your Walmart is anything like mine......

EDGE has everything Magnatec does and more. That's what I was told by BP UK and US.

Reactions: Ws6
but I was ordering the Redline online with free shipping to my front door for about $12 a quart
:oops: :oops:

For the price of 2 quarts of that stuff, you get 5 quarts of Edge or 5 quarts of Magnatec + a Supertech or Fram PH filter

In my VQ35, I have ran both Mobil & Castrol 0w40, both have ran fine. The VQ37 isnt 'much' different than the VQ35, and since both manuals call for the exact same spec oil (5w30), then IMO I would believe that you could run 0w40 as well with no problem. Since you are specifically looking for brand, you can safely run any brand in the car that you find at walmart. Personally, I would run Mobil/Castrol/QSUD, I believe any of those would be fine for DD.

The problem with AFE 0w30 is it is not shear stable. It uses a clean VM, but almost always dips into 20 grade territory. This is common behavior among most of the API certified SP rated oils.
If the SP is supposedly better against timing chain wear then how is it less shear stable?

So...magnatec vs gold bottle? Also, vq35=/=vq37, because ?

5w30 Gold EP... It is a very, very good oil.

Ran a lot of that in my VQ motor.

Don't think there's much difference between the 3.5 vs 3.7 VQ motors. If I am remembering correctly the 3.7 VQ has DLC= diamond like coated cylinder walls. Both utilize long chains which can chop up oil viscosity at times.

:oops: :oops:

For the price of 2 quarts of that stuff, you get 5 quarts of Edge or 5 quarts of Magnatec + a Supertech or Fram PH filter

Spending $85 twice a year on a DIY oil & filter change was not an issue for me. The 370Z ran hot and the VQ37 engines are known to be tough on oil. The peace of mind was worth spending a very nominal amount of money for.

I have a 370Z with this engine. There were cooling issues with these engines when track driven prior to Nissan adding an oil cooler. Regardless of how I drive, I have noticed my oil temperature gauge has higher than "normal" oil temps compare to other engines. Even higher with "spirited" driving, we're talking about near 260-265. These engines are very hard on oil regardless of your driving habits. IMO any synthetic will work if you are not hard on the engine but I use ester base oil due to how it interacts with heat mainly Redline 5W30 which is like a light 40W. The engine purrs with this oil. I would never put conventional oil but each it's own.

Back