VQ37 oil recommendation

Ws6

What is the best walmart available synthetic for this engine, for 5-6k mile change intervals of spirited but non-track use?

For warranty reasons, I want to stick with 5-30 weight. Also, which oils did you see best UOA from? Both companies make many product lines.
Does your owners manual or warranty booklet say that your new car warranty is predicated on a specific oil grade? One would think it is far more dependent on the approval or specifications listed rather than the grade.

And a UOA for another engine operating in a different environment only shows how that engine is operating, not how good the oil is. UOA have relatively little to do with the oil.

Does your owners manual or warranty booklet say that your new car warranty is predicated on a specific oil grade? One would think it is far more dependent on the approval or specifications listed rather than the grade.

And a UOA for another engine operating in a different environment only shows how that engine is operating, not how good the oil is. UOA have relatively little to do with the oil.
1622763589913.jpg

1622763639387.jpg

The OP had a thread a few weeks back asking about a 2017 QX50, the manual for that car says to use 5W30 and it has to be ILSAC oil, so thin 5W30 is the only oil that Nissan wants you to use.

Reactions: Ws6
How much of warranty is left? Most of the VQ37s were decommissioned after 2015 except for some random crossover years or the M37/Q70.

Older VQ37 service manuals would recommend 7500mi interval with 3750 severe service, newer manuals just plain flat out took the middle ground and specified 5000mi intervals (though this does not even mention synthetic oil, would assume synthetic blend). Also, older manuals, at least for the VQ35, would specify 5W30 but also include the SAE temperature range grades, if applicable, while newer manuals do not and just say to use 5W30 (probably to simplify it for users, same as the mileage).

Previously ran PUP 5W30 on my G37, ran fine but would sound like it was rattling at high RPM/redline. Switched over to Mobil 0W40 and it is slightly quieter at cold idle and much more noticeably quieter at high RPMs. So basically, I'd say at least run a thicker 30weight if you are dead set on 5W30, but in my particular case, 0W40 was cheap and runs well.

For warranty reasons, I want to stick with 5-30 weight. Also, which oils did you see best UOA from? Both companies make many product lines.
What's the application? As stated surprised you're under warranty on a 3.7 still. If you absolutely want to stick with a 30 I've used M1 AFE 0W-30 in the past...thicker end of the spectrum.

View attachment 59293
View attachment 59294
The OP had a thread a few weeks back asking about a 2017 QX50, the manual for that car says to use 5W30 and it has to be ILSAC oil, so thin 5W30 is the only oil that Nissan wants you to use.
Wants and requires are two completely different things.

And the manual wants you to use it because of a non-technical reason.

I think that a oil that has Porsche A40 approval... Would not be a warranty concern at all. A standard that greatly exceeds API SP.

Having said that....

My opinion.... If you want to stay with a 5w30 oil....

#1 Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.... Porsche C30 approved HTHS 3.5. A great oil that exceeds API SP and Dexos approval.

#2 Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 5w30.... A 5w20 just tested by PQIA and it has near 300 ppm of molybdenum. A very typically strong additive package and a very good oil available at Wally world for decent price.

Both companies make many product lines.
The Castrol is their EDGE product in 0W-40. You can safely use this oil in your vehicle with no warranty concerns. They do offer 5W-30 in Edge.

My VQ35 has been fed mostly 5w-30 synthetic blends by Conoco Phillips (Kendall and 76) with zero performance problems and negligible consumption between 5K mile oil changes. With the narrowing price difference between blends and full synthetic, now I'll be using mostly 5w-30 synthetics (Pennzoil, QSUD and RGT). It's an outstanding motor, but use a 0w-40 if it floats your boat.

Last edited:
NB... You are exactly right.

I got that Cam2 Dexos approved oil in my 3.5 right now. Runs very, very quiet on that.

I heading over to Napa to get more of the Cam2 tomorrow.

How much of warranty is left? Most of the VQ37s were decommissioned after 2015 except for some random crossover years or the M37/Q70.

Older VQ37 service manuals would recommend 7500mi interval with 3750 severe service, newer manuals just plain flat out took the middle ground and specified 5000mi intervals (though this does not even mention synthetic oil, would assume synthetic blend). Also, older manuals, at least for the VQ35, would specify 5W30 but also include the SAE temperature range grades, if applicable, while newer manuals do not and just say to use 5W30 (probably to simplify it for users, same as the mileage).

Previously ran PUP 5W30 on my G37, ran fine but would sound like it was rattling at high RPM/redline. Switched over to Mobil 0W40 and it is slightly quieter at cold idle and much more noticeably quieter at high RPMs. So basically, I'd say at least run a thicker 30weight if you are dead set on 5W30, but in my particular case, 0W40 was cheap and runs well.
Another 35k miles of powertrain

Wants and requires are two completely different things.

And the manual wants you to use it because of a non-technical reason.
Well the manual verbiage says using something that doesn't API certification mark on the front of the container may damage the engine, so that they're saying you have to use 5W-30 ILSAC motor oil, during the warranty period I'd stick with what the manual says since the OP cares about the warranty, after the warranty I'd stick 0w-40 Mobil1 in there, it should be great in the VQ given how hard they're known to be on oil and it has the Nissan approval for use in the GT-R.

If you really want a Wally's 5w30, Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 has many approvals and is also SN. Castrol Euro 5w30 is also available, but is full saps Euro oil rated SL because of zddp levels. For your car of the two I'd pick Castrol first since you are naturally aspirated V6, but either should give you excellent results.

What's the application? As stated surprised you're under warranty on a 3.7 still. If you absolutely want to stick with a 30 I've used M1 AFE 0W-30 in the past...thicker end of the spectrum.
The problem with AFE 0w30 is it is not shear stable. It uses a clean VM, but almost always dips into 20 grade territory. This is common behavior among most of the API certified SP rated oils.

Back