VPN's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ethan1
Tor is not a security panacea. In fact, we learned from the Snowden leaks that "Tor" is one of the search terms that will get you flagged for permanent web tracking by the NSA.

No, it's not a security panacea. First off, I wouldn't recommend doing online banking through Tor. That's not what it's for. For a journalist in a place where internet is heavily censored and there is traffic management, that's where it shines. Nothing in Tor would preclude using encryption as necessary when sending information, such as a journalist.

As for Snowden, just remember who he is. Not everything he says can be taken as gospel. Searching Tor gets one flagged for life? On which search engine? Snowden will be on the receiving end of more surveillance from every cloak and dagger institution in the world than 99.99% of the public ever will be.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VPN Server function of this router basically just allows your external devices to seurely access your home network, and the resources within, via a VPN connection.

I don't believe it does what the OP was asking. For that, you'd need a VPN service such as PIA mentioned earlier.

He wants to do safe online banking and bill pay over public WiFi was the main take away I got...

I would like the ultimate protection and privacy when I am online banking and shopping from my home PC. I am concerned about hackers, criminal keyloggers, ransomware, and other bad guys out there. I don't use my cellphone or iPad for banking and shopping.

He wants to do safe online banking and bill pay over public WiFi was the main take away I got.
He said nothing about public WiFi.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by Voleak
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VPN Server function of this router basically just allows your external devices to seurely access your home network, and the resources within, via a VPN connection.

I don't believe it does what the OP was asking. For that, you'd need a VPN service such as PIA mentioned earlier.

He wants to do safe online banking and bill pay over public WiFi was the main take away I got...

I would like the ultimate protection and privacy when I am online banking and shopping from my home PC. I am concerned about hackers, criminal keyloggers, ransomware, and other bad guys out there. I don't use my cellphone or iPad for banking and shopping.

See my post. A VPN isn't going to give you that.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
LoneRanger said:
Quattro Pete said:

See my post. A VPN isn't going to give you that.

OVERKILL, thank you for the excellent post (I am thankful for all posts from everybody). I am now researching DNS, as I have never heard of them before, but sound like a great idea in the little I have researched so far.

I did a chat session with one of the highest rated VPN services, and I was told that their VPN completely hides me from any and ALL prying eyes. And,because my online browsing is being completely hidden, it allows me the safest and most private internet experience possible. Their service is not cheap at about $100 a year, and they don't offer a free version.

I am not tech savvy, especially with PC stuff, so I appreciate everyone's feedback here.

Originally Posted by Garak
As for Snowden, just remember who he is. Not everything he says can be taken as gospel.

Can you point to any technical info he's put forward which has been disproven? Or credibly disputed? Or even denied by the government?
Originally Posted by Garak
Searching Tor gets one flagged for life? On which search engine?

Search engine? Wait... you know what a cabinet noir is, right? Do you remember Room 641A at AT&T? The NSA is directly tapped into the internet's backbone. They don't need the search providers to collude. They monitor the entire internet...
21.gif

No, I can't point where anything he's said is specifically wrong or where the government has denied it. He leaked intelligence. Intelligence needs to be assessed. It's beyond the realm of an ordinary person to assess the bulk of what he leaked. The government won't confirm or deny, either.

As for Tor, since I said it and you said it, you'll be watched permanently, as will I. We're flagged!

It is my understanding that a virtual private network (VPN) is the best way to protect a computer while doing online banking, shopping, and browsing. I only recently found out about VPN's. It sounds like it is nearly impossible for hackers, ransom, and other bad people to get into a VPN protected computer. I am seriously considering getting a VPN for the alleged protection and privacy. Any VPN brands highly recommended?

Anyone with experience using a VPN, or knowledgeable about the product, I would like to hear feedback, please.

I have a VPN called "SECURE VPN" and until reading your post I have not used it in a year. SECURE VPN is a "respected" huge world wide VPN service but ...
I have not been satisfied with it for the following -

1. It drastically cuts down my upload and download speeds on my 100 Mbps connection by about 50% and more, as I type this I am getting about 30 with it on. So I just stopped using it, with that said, if you have something more like a 25 Mbps connection then you should be perfectly happy with it.
I bought a "lifetime" subscription for less then $50 at the time, which everyone knows is a bargin but, I dont use it, just tried it again and Im getting 30 Mbps with the VPN on vs, 78 with it off.

Hey you live in the USA, not a repressed country like China but it bugs me that my ISP collects my information and sells it for profit to third parties and why I like the idea of a VPN.
With that said, if you are willing to pay, there are some other ones out there at a cost, maybe its you get what you pay for.
If you choose to pay more then me, then I would suggest you not listen to recommendations in here but do your research online and respected publications who test these VPNs, there are some really good ones (Secure VPN is big enough that they are in those ratings but not good enough for the top tiers) but you WILL pay for that service.

Again, Secure VPN is good if you dont need more then 25Mbps ...

and most of all when doing research dont fall for phony sites that review sites and provide links to the products for you to buy, its how they make money! Stick to major publications and use common sense ... this will give you an ONE idea if the speed loss and latency ...

PC Mag VPN - Click

and make sure to scroll all the way down the page to the actual speed tests.

Last edited:
I recently installed Opera with VPN turned on. I've always used an add blocker but recently discovered there is a difference between add blocker and pop up blocker which is what I have issues with. Opera does an excellent job of eliminating pop ups. But, after reading this interesting thread I will turn off VPN. As stated above, streamed movies become slow and jittery.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
BTW. I've found Ghostery works very well...

Very interesting, been reading about it since you mentioned it. I use AdBlock Plus but this seems to take things a bit further and certainly helps you prevent sites from making money off of your browsing habits and prevent sites from eating up your bandwidth and speed with all the crap (junk ads) being delivered to your desktop.

Its not in a class with the VPNs but for those who do not care about a full VPN this certainly is in the right direction.

Good post, thanks ... will try it out soon, right now I and my wife use AdBlock Plus and can certainly say it has been 100% reliable for years now. These ad blockers are 100% justified as you are the one paying for the bandwidth (internet connection) for them to deliver ads that you do not want.

(ps, just added it to my Firefox also running AdBlock Plus as I see some use both, amazing sometimes the stuff you can pick up on BITOG. Ill install on my Opera browser too, for anyone reading this the ADblock plus works very well, trouble free for years for us, but think this Ghostery takes it a step further I think.

I also avoid all Google and Microsoft browsers, Opera and Firefox are my go to, no reason to use Chrome what so ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back