Volvo T5 5 Cylinder 2014, Acceptable Choices?

I recently added a Volvo S60 T5 5-cylinder 2014 to my garage. Less than 60k miles.

I thought the 2014 year was out of the piston ring issues, but I guess it's not at all. I don't have enough miles since purchase to know for sure, but I don't seem to have a problem yet (fingers crossed). You know when it starts consuming a bunch of oil.

Before learning of the problem, I had planned to use Mobil 1 0w-40 when it came time for the first oil change. I realize this is not A5/B5 as 0w-40 is not energy conserving, but it's a great oil and what I use in my other vehicles.

Would the sulfated ash content in this oil and the thicker nature have any risk of bringing up the ring issue? I doubt as a second owner they'd ever do a goodwill gesture if the problem came up, but I also considered staying with A5/B5 for that reason.

Nevertheless, if I take that last factor out of the equation, any chance it could make it worse? I've just always liked this oil, and I've read others like it in these engines. If it's a bad idea, I'll go with PU 5w30, Edge 5w30, or fancy Motul 5w30. I just liked the idea of the thicker Mobil 1 0w-40 as these engines are a bit rough sounding and thought it might be a tad quieter with it. Plus, again, loyalty from using this oil so much for years is a big draw.

If memory serves me the 3.2 liter straight 6 had the piston ring issues. This was a Ford engine from their Birmingham England plant.

Your T5 is a Volvo engine. It will do fine on any 5W30 A5/B5, 0W30, 0W40 that meets the Euro specs.

Enjoy your car!

the 2012 and 2013 5 cylinders are the ones with the most severe ring issues though oil consumption can occur on any of them. We use Pennzoil synthetic 5w30 that is A5/B5 in turbo volvos

Yeah, my year can definetly have it too. There's a YouTube video with a Volvo tech showing the problem. Even the 4 cylinder engines had it the first couple years after they came out as they used the bad piston rings too.

However, if I really want to use Mobil 1 0w-40 can anyone think of a reason that it could cause the problem to show up or make it worse?

I think the Mobil 1 0w40 is an excellent choice. I wouldn't give a hoot about energy conserving, I would care about managing deposits, and keeping the PCV system clean...both of those can be costly to repair.

If it helps, the Mobil 1 0W40 had excellent UOAs in my Volvos.

It was a while back, but that oil is a great choice for a car that will do well on an A3/B4.

By the way, that car now has 210,000 miles on it, and it leads a pretty hard life: driven on lots of short trips in Salt Lake City by a young doctor on call at all hours and then taken up the canyons for camping and ski trips.

Still runs perfectly, and doesn't use any oil.

I credit the Mobil 1.

Back