Volvo RBS0-2AE spec not available in the USA

We just bought a new Volvo XC90 T6 with Volvo's Drive-E 2.0 4-cylinder turbo/supercharged engine. So far, the engine is a gem. Even Ward's thinks so and has added it to the is year's top-10 list.

The issue of oil for the Drive-E seems a specific problem in the USA. The USA-spec user manual states: "Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions."

However, the only oil that is RBS0-2AE certified is Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 which does not appear to available in the USA. Rumor has it that it is against US law for an auto manufacturer to recommend a consumable that only it produces (Volvo produced it in conjunction with BP/Castrol). As such, the USA-spec manual also states:

''Full synthetic engine oil meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 must be used... SAE 5W-30 will provide good fuel economy and engine protection." If you get the oil changed at a Volvo dealer in the USA apparently they use Castrol Edge Professional 5W30.

So here I am, a mechanical engineer by education who wants to use what the manufacturer recommends, but can't. I also trust that a good quality 5W-30 would do just as well (maybe even better?) in my warm weather environment.

Thoughts? Recommendations on a good ACEA A5/B5 5W-30? I'm using Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5W-30 elsewhere and would like to stick with one oil make/grade if possible.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
Rumor has it that it is against US law for an auto manufacturer to recommend a consumable that only it produces to use what the manufacturer recommends,

They can recommend whatever they want. Most manufacturers recommend OEM fluids and filters. That doesn't mean you're REQUIRED to use them. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that if the manufacturer requires only their products be used, they must provide them free of charge.

PUP is good, and regular PP is also A5/B5. The only other options are from Castrol; both the black and gold bottle Edge are A5/B5 in 5w30. All four will work great with no problems
smile.gif

No US-market M1 meets A5/B5 standards anymore.

The ACEA A5/B5 is a good Euro oil standard, use with confidence.

In addition to the oils given above by slacktide, also check out Valvoline SynPower.

Over here we get a SynPower FE 5W-30, that is made for modern Ford engines, but should work in you Volvo nicely. It's a full synthetic 5W-30.
Spec: API SL/CF, Ford WSS-M2C-913-D, ACEA A1/B1, ACEA A5/B5. Meets requirements of: Renault RN700

Enjoy your new ride.

The Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 should be available in the USA but may require some hunting as it is quite new. It'll only be available through Volvo dealerships.

Volvo don't produce the oil, Castrol do. But Castrol worked with Volvo during development of the VEA engines and co-engineered the oil and specification with them. Any other oil manufacturer that may subsequently achieve the VCC spec will never have had this collaboration.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Does anyone know what is so special about this spec?

It's reported that the HTHS minimum is 2.75, half way between the 2.6 20 grade minimum and the 30 grade minimum of 2.9.

Not sure of anything else.

ACEA does not cater well for 20 grades. It's like an A5/B5 but with lower HTHS and as Low SAPS as possible, probably for the diesel.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Does anyone know what is so special about this spec?

It's reported that the HTHS minimum is 2.75, half way between the 2.6 20 grade minimum and the 30 grade minimum of 2.9.

True.

It must meet ACEA C2 and then there are a number of different or extra physical and chemical constraints (eg 0.9% ash max) plus additional engine testing demands on fuel economy, wear and TBN retention.

I see that everyone is offering good solutions for the 5w-30 alternative oil option to the RBS0-2AE spec. I currently use the Ravenol brand for my cars and have had great performance from my engines. I see that they carry a Volvo Factory Approved RBS0-2AE spec 0w-20. You may want to check out this oil if you really want to use what the manufacturer recommends.

MOTUL SPECIFIC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 can be found in the US.

...for Volvo 2018 S60 T5 Inscription Intercooled Turbo I-4 2.0 L/120

I had two Volvo V40's with the Drive-E engine. Mine were diesels with Euro 6 emissions requiptment on them so opted for ACEA C3 oils. No issues with running high HTHS oils. I was worried there might be codes thrown with the variable oil pumps but nothing. Didn't notice any loss in power or fuel economy either.

My bad, I'm sorry about that!

I wish old posts would archive on here after a year or two.

It wasn't you :p

The problem is the similar threads on the bottom sometimes suggesting very old threads. Maybe they could just not appear in the suggestions at the bottom :unsure:

Back