Volkswagen First Service Disappointments

Had my first service on the Passat yesterday. Results were as follows, oil of unknown quality changed, almost a quart low. Tires were not rotated, tire pressure was different in each tire. Replacement interior trim part was wrong color, put that transaction on hold. This is a MB/ VW dealer.
Having been a mechanic all my life I take personal offense at shoddy work and don't quite know how to approach my dissatisfaction. It was obvious that the dealership sanctioned this level of workmanship and can get by since the car is new and little liability is attached.
Any good advice on how I should handle this problem?
Thanks gentlemen
Smoky
PS: The dealer is 100 miles from me so return is not a 10 minute trip

Why did you take it home after seeing the trim part was wrong? Should have asked for a rental until they fix it.
+1

In the future, the best time to deal with problems like this is right away. Tell them you are dissatisfied with the work before you leave and ask what they are going to do in order to make it right.

For now, I think the best option would be call the service manager and explain your concern.

The trim part was not available in stock. The only level spot on the lot is inside the building. I had to reason to suspect tires hadn't been rotated until I checked oil and decided to check other work. I worked as an aircraft mechanic for over 25 years then switched to motorcycles. Anyone who takes a wrench in hand in a professional setting has an obligation to complete the work required and the dealership can't blindly look the other way. A pint+ low on 40 cars adds up to a nice profit at the end of the month.
Rentals or loaner is by appointment only AND would you like to leave your car in the care of these jerks?

What did you expect? The work ethic in the USA has crashed in 30 years.

I'd never buy or service there again. I'd rather have a discount on the car than shoddy marketed free do nothing service.

Local VW dealer did NOTHING that was required of the free maintenance services, and I had to demand VW spec oil, preferably the dyed 508 oil, but any VW spec would've been better than the bulk API swill they wanted to use. They made sure I can see the pretty oil since they spilled it all over the engine. Got a smoke show after warmup and pulled right back in for their 'detailing'. And, this was when some suit VW travelling(district/regional) whatever big wig rep was there. He couldn't get his minions to function.

Never went back for any other service other than recalls and warranty repairs.... which also had shoddy workmanship.

There is no leadership ANYWHERE anymore. Food service, departments stores, hardware stores, autopartstores, dealerships.... Took the local big cable company 2 years to run a new line and called monthly for the no service billing credit, after 23 techs didn't show up during the 2 years.
Live in a multi-cable city so had service thru a competitor while waiting(all for shiggles sake).

Your dealership and their service department have no leadership. They don't care.

There is no leadership ANYWHERE anymore. Food service, departments stores, hardware stores, autopartstores, dealerships.... Took the local big cable company 2 years to run a new line and called monthly for the no service billing credit, after 23 techs didn't show up during the 2 years.
Live in a multi-cable city so had service thru a competitor while waiting(all for shiggles sake).

Your dealership and their service department have no leadership. They don't care.
HUH? What's leadership and what does it have to do with it? What leadership is necessary for a worker to do their job correctly? Nope, it's a workers attitude to do something as quickly and as easily as possible regardless of the quality. Put in your hours and get your check.

I was at my selling Ford dealer for State Inspection and Tire rotation Tuesday. The service writer asked if I wanted anything else. I said I change my own oil, but if they could up the tire pressure by 2 psig that would be helpful as winter is coming. They had 30psi in them at 65 degrees out. IIRC placard is 34.

I got the car back in about 45 mins. the DIC showed 36psig in the tires. I looked at the r.o. and it said, "Customer requests tire pressure be increased to 2 psi above normal"

Uh ... NO. But at least I could lower them to where I want them to be.
Tires were rotated, car seats and steering wheel in same position as it went in. Only one tiny spec of paper from the scrapped off old inspection sticker - so it went as well as expected except for the "comprehension" issue. Next time I will say, "Could the tech set the tires to 32 psig at all four corners.
- Ken

I would contact the dealer owner. If it is a multi dealer corporate family, go up to the CEO voice your concerns. You never know they might offer you a job......LOL. But serriously, they need to know.

MY first VW service up here in Southern N.H didn't go too well. Writer was a good guy but the techs a bunch of rascals. They put bulk 5W40 oil into a 508 spec engine on my turbo 2019 Jetta . Engine didn't like that. I purchased my own Motul VAG 508/509 spec oil and returned a coupe months later. Tech refused to drain and install the new oil - and I was paying! So the service writer and I changed the oil.
the bunch of schmoe techs were crowding us and trying to intimidate. Just put them on ignore.

Funny thing a half year on, management cleaned house and there was a new service manager in there.

Had my first service on the Passat yesterday. Results were as follows, oil of unknown quality changed, almost a quart low. Tires were not rotated, tire pressure was different in each tire. Replacement interior trim part was wrong color, put that transaction on hold. This is a MB/ VW dealer.
Having been a mechanic all my life I take personal offense at shoddy work and don't quite know how to approach my dissatisfaction. It was obvious that the dealership sanctioned this level of workmanship and can get by since the car is new and little liability is attached.
Any good advice on how I should handle this problem?
Thanks gentlemen
Smoky
PS: The dealer is 100 miles from me so return is not a 10 minute trip
Call the dealership.

Call VWoA for a case file to be opened.

HUH? What's leadership and what does it have to do with it? What leadership is necessary for a worker to do their job correctly? Nope, it's a workers attitude to do something as quickly and as easily as possible regardless of the quality. Put in your hours and get your check.
If it's put in your hours and collect their check, then they work as slowly as possible with the minimal work.

But, it's the opposite... the more vehicles you service, the bigger check you get.

Called VW and got the bums rush, “we can’t control what our dealers do in house” Glad to know VW has my back.
Too bad dealerships and VWoA have stopped doing the customer satisfaction surveys. Since, anything less than a top score would be a red flag against the dealership

What was the service supposed to include? Over here a VAG spec oil change is just a oil and filter change, so no tyre pressure’s or rotations included.

Low oil level, now that’s what would set me raging. I would call the manager and ask to be booked in for a FOC oil consumption test as I’ve lost a quart on the 100 mile drive home, just to wind them up.

When you say the trim you had replaced is the wrong colour, are we talking say chrome to black or a shade deviation? If it’s a shade deviation then it would have been nice of them to point it out and order the additional trims required to match.

At any VW dealership 10k and 20k miles:

10k miles:
Oil filter change
Tire rotation and psi
Brake pad thickness and rotor check

20k miles: above plus
cabin air filter
along with a normal bazillion point checklist

VW updated the brake fluid flush to .... year 3 and then every 2 years to avoid doing the 20k one free!

Selling dealer also gave free lifetime oil/filter changes and carwashes for life, not that I'd bother.

Back