Volkswagen DSG fluid change

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Pelican

Just saw a program by ZF transmission where they recommend much more frequent fluid exchanges for this type of tranny, like every 30K miles. If it were mine I'd do a FULL exchange by machine at the dealer.

So glad my last VW DSG was a dry clutch, hence no fluid change requirements.

All VW DSG need a new fluid and filter every 40k miles.

Not my 2015 Jetta Hybrid with the 7-speed DSG.

7 speed does need fluid change. 7 speed DSG is made by Borg Warner and is in Audi's too.
Just because VW said "you do not need change," does not mean you do not need change.
BMW and Audi are saying ZF transmissions do not need change, ZF saying that they need change.

Originally Posted by edyvw

7 speed does need fluid change. 7 speed DSG is made by Borg Warner and is in Audi's too.

Completely different systems. Audi's is wet clutch, the Jetta is dry clutch. No DSG fluid circulating through the clutches in a dry clutch.

Originally Posted by Elijah1
I'm approaching the 40,000 mile service for my 2015 TDI Passat. I've done everything except the DSG already. I used the appropriate Castrol speced for my TDI added the Liqui Moly ceramic friction modifier. Did the fuel filter, and Liqui Moly diesel purge. OEM cold weather air filter, checked the pH of the coolant, and decided to keep it in, as it's 8.6 pH.

Please, if anyone had some insight into which DSG fluid is best for normal driving 50/50 city-highway. No track events, just want the best possible protection and smooth shifts. Thank you in advance

OEM fluid and filter. Do not joke around that!
Ceramic friction modifier? Stop doing that! Do not add anything to oil as it can "kill" your DPF and they will not warrant it if they find that in oil!

Liqui Molly Ceratec has been used by a lot of TDI users. I'm not sure if it'll destroy the DPF but if it does, I'll delete it and tune it.

Completely different systems. Audi's is wet clutch, the Jetta is dry clutch. No DSG fluid circulating through the clutches in a dry clutch.

OK, if you say so. So that DSG does not have fluid?

I'm approaching the 40,000 mile service for my 2015 TDI Passat. I've done everything except the DSG already. I used the appropriate Castrol speced for my TDI added the Liqui Moly ceramic friction modifier. Did the fuel filter, and Liqui Moly diesel purge. OEM cold weather air filter, checked the pH of the coolant, and decided to keep it in, as it's 8.6 pH.

Please, if anyone had some insight into which DSG fluid is best for normal driving 50/50 city-highway. No track events, just want the best possible protection and smooth shifts. Thank you in advance

OEM fluid and filter. Do not joke around that!
Ceramic friction modifier? Stop doing that! Do not add anything to oil as it can "kill" your DPF and they will not warrant it if they find that in oil!

Liqui Molly Ceratec has been used by a lot of TDI users. I'm not sure if it'll destroy the DPF but if it does, I'll delete it and tune it.

I know people use bunch of additives (which they should not).
But, I thought VW post-dieselgate warranty is pretty generous? That thing will not only void warranty on DPF, but pretty much all engine/emissions components.
And it is not necessary. I had a fleet of 1.2, 1.6, 1.9 and 2.0tdi engines in Europe and they only had regular oil changes and regularly made 400+k km. And they have seen all kind of oils, from Castrol, Repsol, Mobil1 to OLMA, INA, OPTIMA and some other less known brands. Thing they had in common is approval.

I'm also wondering which DSG oil to use for my Passat R36 with a 6sp DSG. Is the OE oil semi-synthetic? If so, wouldn't a full synthetic from the likes of Redline or Amsoil be a better option?

Originally Posted by antik
I'm also wondering which DSG oil to use for my Passat R36 with a 6sp DSG. Is the OE oil semi-synthetic? If so, wouldn't a full synthetic from the likes of Redline or Amsoil be a better option?

OEM fluid, OEM filter.

Like roofless said: OE fluid, OE filter! Period. Do not joke about it.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
OEM fluid, OEM filter.

Can you please elaborate as to why is it superior to other fluids? Isn't OEM fluid only semi-synthetic? A lot of people in the VW community run Liqui Moly which exceeds specs for all dual clutch transmissions

OEM fluid, OEM filter.

Can you please elaborate as to why is it superior to other fluids? Isn't OEM fluid only semi-synthetic? A lot of people in the VW community run Liqui Moly which exceeds specs for all dual clutch transmissions

Hey man, run whatever you want. Maybe other oil works fine, maybe not. I'll tell you what I do know: the VW oil and filter work as designed, and I don't fancy replacing a DSG or Mechatronics unit.

I also don't put much faith in your average VW Bro. I've fixed plenty of their "fixes."

OEM fluid, OEM filter.

Do you want to replace expensive ZF or Getrag bits? Stick to OEM, this isn't a Toyota or Holden where you can get away with Nulon or Penrite.

Last edited:
OEM fluid, OEM filter.

A lot of people run Liqui Moly because LM has oversized Made in Germany letters. That itself makes lubrication at least 50% more efficient.
Just because one fluid is synthetic and another not, is not indication of whether it is better for that specific product. VW used in first DSG transmissions full synthetic products, but they switched to semi-synthetic because it proved to be more suitable. I owned VW with DSG, and guess what I did? every time when I changed fluid and filter I used strictly OE product.

Okay so it's just a preference rather than evidence based feedback. I can understand and appreciate that using OEM fluid works so you wouldn't recommend anything other than. I was just curious as to if if there was any actual testing or results behind it.

Is it only dual clutch transmission applications where you guys recommend using OEM over other branded fluids? Also who produces VAG DSG fluid? I've seen both Pentosin and SWAG being sold as OEM fluid?

Last edited:
I always reccomend OE transmission oils, unless you can afford to replace the gearbox. Auto/Manual/DSG/DCT/SMG - doesn't matter.

Let me ask, why are you trying to avoid the OE oil? What would make an aftermarket oil "better?" What if "better" turns out to be worse long-term and you toast a clutch or gum up the mechatronics?

Okay so it's just a preference rather than evidence based feedback. I can understand and appreciate that using OEM fluid works so you wouldn't recommend anything other than. I was just curious as to if if there was any actual testing or results behind it.

Is it only dual clutch transmission applications where you guys recommend using OEM over other branded fluids? Also who produces VAG DSG fluid? I've seen both Pentosin and SWAG being sold as OEM fluid?

Did you ask yourself why VW switched to semi-synthetic? It is not cost, that is for sure. You bought product from VW, but then saying: I do not trust their scientific method. Why you bought product than?
Yes, I used always OE fluids in VW, BMW etc. In Toyota, I will use Valvoline as Toyota transmissions are purposefully created as "dumbproof."

Valvoline offers a DCT fluid in Australia
smile.gif

(they don't seem to offer it in the US)

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Valvoline offers a DCT fluid in Australia
smile.gif

(they don't seem to offer it in the US)

Valvoline offers a lot of products around the world that it does not in the US> It could be due to the fact that a lot of people here as you know live from suing other people.

Back