Volkswagen announces 71 mpg Polo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volkswagen has officially unveiled a new three-cylinder turbodiesel engine at the annual Vienna Motor Symposium. The new 1.2-liter engine features the same common-rail fuel injection systems and basic architecture as VW's 1.6-liter and 2.0-liter inline fours.

The new engine produces 74 horsepower and 133 pound-feet of torque at just 2,000 rpm. When VW unveiled the new Polo at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show, a concept version of the next generation Bluemotion model was shown with this engine. The three-cylinder Polo is expected to be rated at 71.3 miles per gallon (U.S.) and 87 grams / kilometer of CO2 emissions on the EU combined test cycle. The new 1.2-liter Polo Bluemotion should debut later this year

31st International Vienna Motor Symposium:
Volkswagen presents new 3-cylinder turbodiesel

Experts discuss the future of powertrain technologies

Wolfsburg, 29 April 2010 - Along with the presentation of a new 3-cylinder TDI, Volkswagen will be represented by a contingent of engine experts at the 31st International Vienna Motor Symposium. Its presentations in front of an international audience of engineers will focus on top values in CO2 emissions and fuel efficiency. However, another key issue that will be addressed is what conditions are crucial to achieving market penetration of alternative drives.

Professor Dr. Wolfgang Steiger, Head of Future Technologies in Group Communications, deals with such technical, societal and political requirements. In his lecture today in Vienna, Steiger explains: "Attitudes toward mobility are changing – not least of all due to the effects of the economic crisis and climate change – and are moving toward a sustainability perspective. Political entities around the globe react very differently to these issues, but they nearly always end up focusing on the promotion of electric mobility."

Steiger adds that long distance and freight transportation will continue to rely on internal combustion engines with highly efficient drive systems in the foreseeable future, so a long period of coexistence can be expected between E-technology and classic internal combustion engines.

Proving that such internal combustion engines can meet current and future demands – with top values in reduced emissions – is the new 1.2l TDI with 3 cylinders in the Polo BlueMotion. Despite its relatively small displacement, the 1.2l 55kW / 75PS TDI engine can deliver a torque of 180 Nm at 2,000 rpm. The specification for the new 3-cylinder TDI called for the greatest possible dynamic engine performance with reduced displacement, maximum acoustic comfort and systematic weight reduction – without compromising the engine's thermodynamic efficiency. All of the advantages of a reduced number of cylinders – primarily reduced weight and friction power loss - are being exploited as well

I really wish we would get engines like these. The TDI is good and all right now, but the Geo Metro and old Honda Insight proved there is a market for these high-mileage marvels here.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Unfortunately probably NOT coming here to the U.S.A.

No, probably not. Booo!!
frown.gif
71 US MPG in the combined cycle it quite amazing. I would guess that it would probably be nearing 90 US MPG in the euro extra-urban cycle.

Just like the Ford Fiesta and Focus ECOnetic diesel. Those are 64 and 62 US MPG respectively in the euro combined cycle. Availabe right now, but not in the US.

I just don't get it.....

Last edited:
Guess they're afraid that people wouldn't buy them due to being underpowered/small-let gas get back over $4 (& diesel back over $5) and they'd be JUMPING off the lots!!

Originally Posted By: E365
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Unfortunately probably NOT coming here to the U.S.A.

I just don't get it.....

Its because high profit SUV's make them a lot more money. This is the only major industrial country that gasoline is so cheap. Cars that get uber-mileage are small, cramped, and that ride rough are a tough sell. Hence the profit is not there. My truck has averaged 24.2 MPG over 23 tanks since Oct 1st, 2009, and this is about as much as I want to be roughin' it, till gas gets to $5 plus.

No great percentage of Americans want a small fuel efficient car when gas is cheap (especially if unattactive). The 2005 !echo! sold 5000 units and had an EPA (old) rating of 43MPG. Queue the spike in oil prices and every car magazine is gawking over the Fit/Versa/Yaris trio and each turned in lower MPG.

I think they dont bring it to america because a lot of people, especially the target market for that car (girls) wont be looking at buying a diesel.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Is 71 MPG really obtainable ?????

Yeah, it is. A Prius can get that with a few hypermiling techniques.

Shame we're not getting a clean diesel from somebody besides Volkswagen.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No great percentage of Americans want a small fuel efficient car when gas is cheap (especially if unattactive). The 2005 !echo! sold 5000 units and had an EPA (old) rating of 43MPG. Queue the spike in oil prices and every car magazine is gawking over the Fit/Versa/Yaris trio and each turned in lower MPG.

Barring the Yaris, you can't really compare the Echo to the Fit and Versa. The fit is closest in size, but it has gobs more power and utility. The Versa is an even bigger step up from the Echo than the Fit. These two, at least to me, are attractive because they have tons of space for my 6' frame, decent power and ok looks.

That being said, if I were in the market for a new car, I'd strongly consider a sub-$17k Polo-type car if it got that kind of mileage. Granted, this is assuming it's similar in size to the current rabbit/golf; not too small

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Is 71 MPG really obtainable ?????

Oh Yes! in fact some larger cars in Europe manage this on a daily basis.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
"Small cars mean small profits"

Henry Ford

Do you have a reference for this quote?

+1, else it will be edited for content. Don't put words into someone else's mouth, please...

You do realize that Henry Ford and his Grandson Henry Ford II are two different people right?

That quote was never uttered by Henry Ford ever....and if you took the time to read what you linked to you'd know that as well. The conversation being quoted alledgedly took place in 1976, what is that nearly 30 years after Henry Fords death?

Originally Posted By: Hermann

Its because high profit SUV's make them a lot more money. This is the only major industrial country that gasoline is so cheap. Cars that get uber-mileage are small, cramped, and that ride rough are a tough sell. Hence the profit is not there. My truck has averaged 24.2 MPG over 23 tanks since Oct 1st, 2009, and this is about as much as I want to be roughin' it, till gas gets to $5 plus.

Just because SUVs make them more money, that doesn't mean small cars don't make any money. I'm sure Honda, Ford and Toyota have made billions upon billions selling the Civic, Focus and Corolla. And I'm pretty sure Ford, Chrysler and GM all almost went bust because they focused too much on large vehicles.

And not every high mileage diesel car is the size of a Polo or Fiesta. The most efficient Ford Mondeo is capable of 53+ US MPG (64.2 Imp MPG). A more everyday combined cycle is still over 45 US MPG. That car is only about 3" shorter than a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu.

The Ford Focus ECOnetic diesel which is capable of 69 US MPG and a combined euro cycle of 62 MPG is also less then 5" shorter than the current US spec Focus.

I'd buy any of these today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back