VoiP / DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I am attempting to join the 20th century and upgrade from dial-up internet. At the same time, I'm looking for an economical, reliable home phone service.

Currently, I have bare-bones AT&T landline phone connection that runs ~$34/month (which includes taxes). My All2Easy dial-up internet runs $5. So the goal would be to obtain both DSL and home phone for $40 or less. In addition, I would like to be able to use my cordless phone on any recommended setup.

I have seen the posts here regarding Magic Jack, but it appears to be a little less reliable. I know Ooma has an upfront cost of ~$200, but excluding that, could that be the way to go?

As for the internet service, I've read about dryloop DSL (if I were to go VoiP for phone). Not sure of the cost, but AT&T has a current deal of $14.95/mo. for DSL.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!
Ryan

I have a magicjack and it's *almost* good enough to be the only phone. However it forwards (neato) to my cellphone if necessary.

+1 on the dryloop DSL, I assume that's "no dialtone" or "no voice" or "911 only". They don't advertise it much.

If you have time warner cable they have "roadrunner lite" for $30/mo, 756k down, 128k up. Also rarely advertised. I have this and wonder if the restricted 128k up is the cause of my magicjack's occasional subpar performance.

I have dry loop 768K DSL from ATT. The actual "non deal" price after a year is 19.99USD Sufficient for my working @ home, and most light browsing but maybe watching youtube it often is choppy. I dropped down from 6Mbs and cancelled my home phone service to save $$.

I believe there is a Vonage thread here

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1380514

edit:dryloop is "zero" phone service, not even 911; the phone lines are actually cut out of the phone circuit all together.

Last edited:
Wasn't aware of "dryloop".... now if you give up your landline do you give up speed on your DSL?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Wasn't aware of "dryloop".... now if you give up your landline do you give up speed on your DSL?

No, I have dry loop with 12mpbs down and 800mpbs up.

As for phone service, I have been using magicJack for about 2 1/2 years, but in an effort to save costs, they recently started blocking exchanges. Kind of frustrating to not to be able to call our family members.

I have been trying out nettalk (www.nettalk.com) and so far, it has been pretty solid. You can't port your number, but I am forwarding my magicJack calls to it. You don't need a PC (it plugs into your router), but before ordering check the forum as some routers don't play nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the AT&T $14.95 at the moment. It works most of the time. Sometimes it won't 'synch'. After many phone calls they said it was my modem. Maybe - but sometimes it'll work fine for days and then nothing.
I had Road runner. It was more expensive but much better.
As for phone. I have been cell phone only for 3 years now.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I have the AT&T $14.95 at the moment. It works most of the time. Sometimes it won't 'synch'. After many phone calls they said it was my modem. Maybe - but sometimes it'll work fine for days and then nothing.

If you randomly lose line sync, it is either the modem or line conditions.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I'm sure you're right here. I am going to buy another modem after Christmas.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I'm sure you're right here. I am going to buy another modem after Christmas.

I normally hate D-Link, but they actually make a decent DSL modem. And they are inexpensive. I'd recommend getting one of them. The DSL-2320B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back