VOA with TBN Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-20 SN/GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
So funny! the same old infinium DP used in the least expensive oils out there (QS/FS/PYB). Big Whoop. Cheap FS SM with high moly was the ILSAC nicest summer oil I ran in my Yaris. But Ignore quality basestock at your peril - its the difference between garbage oil and the great stuff.

Yep name brand conventional oils are garbage. No engine ever went over 50k miles without using synthetic. I used valvoline white bottle on my door hinges and the door fell off. If you see conventional motor oil on the shelves at your favorite store you should leave immediately without making eye contact with it. If you don't it could follow you home kick your dog and steal loose change and small valuables from around the house.

The engine never had the chance to wear out. The conventional created sludge and kept the internals from making metal to metal contact.
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

Does anyone know if this formula has changed? I'm looking for a conventional 5W-20 SN with little to no sodium. This could be it. Thanks.

IndyMac,

Ah, my favorite go to, never let you down oil, PYB!!
smile.gif

As far as I know, PYB has retained the same high moly, moderate boron, and no sodium, low-sulfur Group II+ formula. This doesn't mean there can't be subtle changes. SOPUS likes to stay ahead of the curve, particularly with its flagship conventional oil. As GF-6A specifications are finalized, invariably there will be tweaking of the base oils and additive packages, much like what happened with PYB before the SN GF-5 standards were official.

SOPUS has stayed away from the calcium/sodium dispersant/detergent combo, like their competitors (Ashland, Castrol & XOM) are using for their conventional oils. You may however see them move to a Ca/Mg combo to reduce deposits in direct-injected engines, ala M1 & Castrol Edge, for the next iteration.

Take care,
Gary

The Mach engine I bought for my mustang has 30k miles. I had the valve covers off at one point so I could paint them. The heads are spotless. I'm talking like right from the factory spotless. There is no wear scar on the cams whatsoever. If I didn't know better I would have thought the engine was brand new.
The previous owner used PYB changed at 3000 mile intervals. I was impressed. A high revving hot running engine like that and its immaculate.
Just a tidbit. I've got pics too but I'm not computer literate enough to post them.

Thanks. I have no problem with formulas that contain sodium in the add pack wrt effectiveness. In fact, Valvoline has been my go to conventional. But I find the sodium to be a detractor on UOA's. I don't want to use it anymore.

I guess I'll just have to try the PYB and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back