VOA GC04 / GC05 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
The Elves asked me to ask you all not to jump to conclusions.
wink.gif

What if it turns out that your elves are really/or have turned into Leprechauns? And you know what their favorite color is...
Plus they still wear the green, or maybe they just had a swing shift and their cousins the Lepies came over to take over for a while?

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
Your VOA looks a little different to the Oz tech data sheet for SLX Longtec (namely TBN). I'm not sure how to convert SUS viscosity into cSt ?
confused.gif

*edit* This is the data sheet I'm referring to :
[link removed]

Loshio, this data sheet is for the older SLX, not for the newer SLX LongTec, I believe. For one, Longtec is API SL. Your sheet shows API SH.

As far visc. unit conversion, 67.5 SUS is about 12.2 cSt. The TBN is difficult to match, as there are many different methods to measure it and it varies from lab to lab.

I provided the specs of SLX LongTec that are posted on the Polish Castrol site further down in that VOA thread, also noting that they are the exact same specs as for SLX GM oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Loshio, this data sheet is for the older SLX, not for the newer SLX LongTec, I believe. For one, Longtec is API SL. Your sheet shows API SH.

It may not be the new Longtec, but it definetly ain't the SL rated SLX. Castrol Oz still had the regular SL Rated SLX data sheet on their webpage until recently (even though SLX was discontinued here a long time ago). I'm not sure what kind of SLX this "new" data sheet refers to. It's listed under "dealership and workshop" oils in the Oz website.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Is this the classic Castrol "bait and switch"? Looks like a repeat of PAO CAstrol SYntec to GIII Castrol Syntec! We will have to see how it does in Patmans ride!

You will be waiting a very long time! I've got 76 liters of GC, and will be buying more of the green stuff today. So it'll be a very very long time before I run out. When I do run out, I'll try the gold GC, if it shows good numbers on here. But my supply will last me well into 2006 now, maybe longer.

I believe that Amsoil and Castrol are both using a medium "SAP's" - sulphur/ash/phosphorus - chemistry in these new formulations. See the Lubrizol.com website and read up on their "ACT" additive technology. Look specifically at the ACEA C3-04 catagory w/ HT/HS > 3.5 Cp....

This looks like a Lubrizol add pack in both cases, but with a different PAO/Ester basestock blend for the S2000 and the GC/0w-30. This makes perfect sense since Amsoil sources many of their additives and VI improvers from Europe and Castrol is owned by British Petroleum....

I expect both oils to perform extremely well....

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by reyjay1:

quote:

wink.gif

What if it turns out that your elves are really/or have turned into Leprechauns? And you know what their favorite color is...
Plus they still wear the green, or maybe they just had a swing shift and their cousins the Lepies came over to take over for a while?

Rest easy, the Elves, though they like the little guys from Eire, and consider them wielders of great power, don't consider them to possess techno-scientific magic. So there will be no collaboration or usurpation by the wearers of the tilted hat.

The Elves are still dressing in green, but interestingly, they are sporting a lot of gold jewelry I had not seen them wear before.

Maybe they replaced some of the Calcium sulfonate with Magnesium sulfonate. I wonder if the TBN has changed?

The Elves are still dressing in green, but interestingly, they are sporting a lot of gold jewelry I had not seen them wear before.

M1 Has turned to gold now Castrol green (Gold)with envy.
cheers.gif

quote:

Hope its not "Fool's Gold".
tongue.gif

Sorry, just had to throw that out for the skeptic in me
wink.gif

Mark, I just wanted to add my appreciation for all you do for us. It's quite apparent to this n00b that you are a critical component of this board and, for sure, of my growing knowledge base.

I would nominate you for Knighthood, but the Queen is ****** at me for some reason and is not taking my calls.

I think it has something to do with my love affair with German oil.

quote:

Originally posted by reyjay1:

quote:

wink.gif

Yeah you're right, those circular thingies are actually miniature tokens of GOLD!!

I saw some of the M050286 date code at a local Autozone tonight. Passed it right by.

I'd like to see someone else run it before I do. I'd also like to hear what people think about mixing it with the older date codes? I have a couple of quarts of the old stuff left...

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
Thanks Stinky. difference between magnesium and calcium. everything else looks equal. now only if we can find out if GC 05 is group 3
blush.gif

If it is indeed one of SLX oils then it is not Group III. I just checked Polish Castrol site where you can access Safety Data Sheets that state what the oil base is. To make it short for all SLX products it says synthetic base, most Softec and all Magnatec it says highly refined mineral oil. You may wanna ask Quattro Pete to confirm that if you don't believe me.

I think the rest of the world looks at oil groups differently than we do. The following is from the American Agip site but it reflects a global perspective:

WHY GROUP II IS IMPORTANT
Agip is among the first and still few in North America to have converted to Group II Base Oils. Group II base oils (obtained through a process called “hydro-cracking”) are “ super-clear, almost entirely pure and free of contaminants. Their purity permits to formulate lubricants of superior quality, exceeding the most severe performance standards and significantly prolonging the average life of the engine. Agip Super Motor Oils, Agip All Guard as well as Hydraulic and Turbine Oils “X” series, are all formulated with Group II base oils and state of the art additives.
shocked.gif

Agip synthetics are obviously in another "family" of oils although the reference to a Gp II turbine oil is highly intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back