VOA GC04 / GC05 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
...I think the purple particles are elf poop but I don't know what the clear objects are?...

They are Elf tears....
 -

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
...I think the purple particles are elf poop but I don't know what the clear objects are?...

They are Elf tears....
 -

ww,

Just so you know...the Elves and I had a chat...you are spot on...they ARE Elf tears, but not because of anything to do with the quality of either vintage of the oil..they are sad that anyone would think they would...um-m-m-m, well, do "you know what" in the Elixer.

quote:

ww,

Just so you know...the Elves and I had a chat...you are spot on...they ARE Elf tears, but not because of anything to do with the quality of either vintage of the oil..they are sad that anyone would think they would...um-m-m-m, well, do "you know what" in the Elixer.

If these are Castrol Elves, they can't be trusted.
nono.gif
The way Castrol seems to operate, who knows what is in their oil. GC is no doubt an outstanding oil, but with the way Castrol operates who the **** knows what variations their are.
frown.gif
Only UOA's will tell.

If you take a good look at the additive package of the GC05 oil and Amsoil S2k oil, they are identical. Castrol could very well be using the same additive package as Amsoil for this oil.

Amsoil VOA

BORON 64
SILICON 4
SODIUM 0
CALCIUM 1722
MAGNESIUM 598
PHOSPHORUS 822
ZINC 958
BARIUM 0

TBN 12.0

SUS
VISCOSITY
@ 210 ºF 63.9 56-64

Flashpoint F 430 >365

Amsoil's TBN is higher.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
I think you're on to something, Pete! The 500+ ppm of Mg in both formulations is too close to be just a coincidence.

How can we get a bottle of SLX Longtec 0W-30 shipped to the Butler Cat lab in North Dakota for Stinky to analyze?

You could just send me some
wink.gif

Is this the classic Castrol "bait and switch"? Looks like a repeat of PAO CAstrol SYntec to GIII Castrol Syntec! We will have to see how it does in Patmans ride!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Is this the classic Castrol "bait and switch"? Looks like a repeat of PAO CAstrol SYntec to GIII Castrol Syntec! We will have to see how it does in Patmans ride!

That is precisely why I said I would not trust a reformulation by these sl*meb*gs. Castrol are you listening?

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
That GC05 VOA looks very similar to the SLX LongTec VOA I posted a while back:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000216#000000

Your VOA looks a little different to the Oz tech data sheet for SLX Longtec (namely TBN). I'm not sure how to convert SUS viscosity into cSt ?
confused.gif

*edit* This is the data sheet I'm referring to :

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...l_assets/downloads/f/Formula_SLX_B1164961.pdf

[ April 01, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Losiho ]

Everybody take a deep breath about reformulation. Oil companies are constantly tinkering with their formulations. Just look at how much reformulation Mobil did between the old Trisyn and the now SS. Remember, it's the additives that make the oil change colors, not the base stock. I'm hoping the GC stays green, because if it's going to gold, pscholte and Patman will go broke buying new jewelry.

quote:

Everybody take a deep breath about reformulation. Oil companies are constantly tinkering with their formulations. Just look at how much reformulation Mobil did between the old Trisyn and the now SS. Remember, it's the additives that make the oil change colors, not the base stock. I'm hoping the GC stays green, because if it's going to gold, pscholte and Patman will go broke buying new jewelry.

You couldn't be more right. Change is constant. Reformulation is the name of the game.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:

Hey, Pat, want to catch and Emirates Air flight to Bahrain...there's a fabulous Gold Suq (market)there. Golden Glow

If it's actually "Made in Germany" a new formulation can only be good news, imo. How do the spec sheets look on the other German SLX-Gold variants?

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
If it's actually "Made in Germany" a new formulation can only be good news, imo.

AJ,

I couldn't agree more!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
I believe all is well.

Good call Pete! Longtec is probably what we have now, but I wonder why Castrol would not update the bottle to show that this oil meets specs that regular SLX did not.
dunno.gif

I think you're on to something, Pete! The 500+ ppm of Mg in both formulations is too close to be just a coincidence.

How can we get a bottle of SLX Longtec 0W-30 shipped to the Butler Cat lab in North Dakota for Stinky to analyze?

This theory is in agreement with the notion that we really don't care what's in 0w-30 Syntec if it carries mfg specs, whether it's made in Germany, USA or the Keebler Factory. GC Gold looks promising if it is German origin. If it USA-made, it MUST carry the appropriate specs to be acceptable, but the looming question is: "how much can the forumla be tweaked without being re-submitted for approvals?"
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back