Viscosity Calculator predictions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Oh yes, I understand what you mean, but my issue isn't so much there. There can be problems with interpolations, but at least we do have a lot of KV40 and KV100 values in reality from data sheets and VOAs. When it comes to the KV150 business, that's where I really wonder. Out of interest's sake, I might play with some of those numbers you suggested if I can get a few free minutes.

ASTM D341 certainly claims validity for 150 C. Here is the official range claimed:

3 | Technical Hazard

3.1 Warning—The charts should be used only in that range in which the hydrocarbon or petroleum fluids are homogeneous liquids. The suggested range is thus between the cloud point at low temperatures and the initial boiling point at higher temperatures. The charts provide improved linearity in both low kinematic viscosity and at temperatures up to 340â€Â°C (approximately 650â€Â°F) or higher. Some high-boiling point materials can show a small deviation from a straight line as low as 280â€Â°C (approximately 550â€Â°F), depending on the individual sample or accuracy of the data. Reliable data can be usefully plotted in the high temperature region even if it does exhibit some curvature. Extrapolations into such regions from lower temperatures will lack accuracy, however. Experimental data taken below the cloud point or temperature of crystal growth will generally not be of reliable repeatability for interpolation or extrapolation on the charts. It should also be emphasized that fluids other than hydrocarbons will usually not plot as a straight line on these charts.

Regarding the effect of the VII, emod's Lubrizol article says that for the OCP (olefin copolymer) VII, which is by far the most common VII because of its resistance to form turbocharger deposits, the KV is multiplied by the same proportion independent of the temperature. Therefore, if ASTM D341 already works for a given base oil, it should work well when an OCP VII is added.

That leaves only the detergent inhibitor (DI) package to worry about but the effect of that on the viscosity should be relatively minor and the temperature variation of the effect of the DI should be accounted by the calculation to a fair degree.

An interesting note is that since the OCP VII effectively multiplies both the KV40 and KV100 by the same number, this increases the resultant VI. For a given starting VI, the effect of a given OCP VII content on the VI is greater for smaller KV100 values (thinner base oils).

"It should also be emphasized that fluids other than hydrocarbons will usually not plot as a straight line on these charts." Your last statement isn't in complete agreement with that, so again, that's why I'm preferring experimental data. The point isn't me saying your dead wrong because of what they say, or they're dead wrong because of what you say. Verification is an issue.

Originally Posted by Garak
"It should also be emphasized that fluids other than hydrocarbons will usually not plot as a straight line on these charts." Your last statement isn't in complete agreement with that, so again, that's why I'm preferring experimental data. The point isn't me saying your dead wrong because of what they say, or they're dead wrong because of what you say. Verification is an issue.

Yes, edhackett and I were discussing that.

Again, it's an approximation.

Interestingly, the ASTM D2270 viscosity-index calculator officially states that:

1.2.1 In cases where kinematic viscosity data are not available at temperatures of 40â€Â°C and 100â€Â°C, an estimate may be made of the viscosity index by calculating the kinematic viscosity at temperatures of 40â€Â°C and 100â€Â°C from data obtained at other temperatures. Such viscosity index data may be considered as suitable for information only and not for specification purposes. See Test Method D341, Annex A1.

In other words, the ASTM D341 viscosity - temperature calculator is used for finished oils as a theoretical approximation when needed.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Given that the OCP VII is by far the most common VII these days because it doesn't leave nearly as much turbocharger deposits, this explains why the ASTM D341 viscosity - temperature calculator for the finished oils and my base-oil-viscosity calculator work so well.

Indeed, it looks like the viscosity-index improver (VII, viscosity modifier) technology has more or less converged to olefin copolymer (OCP). When I did my calculations, I used the data from the Exxon Mobil blending guide, which used an Infineum viscosity modifier, but Chevron Oronite is also praising their viscosity-modifier brand Paratone® as olefin copolymer. They are particularly invested in the HDEO market and the OCP VII seems to be the VII of choice for both PCMO and HDEO these days.

https://www.oronite.com/products-technology/viscosity-modifiers/paratone.aspx

Originally Posted by edhackett
Originally Posted by emod
I just want to emphasize that VII coil size expansion with temperature is not necessary to achieve significant elevation of viscosity index (VI).
The results in this study - How Polymers Behave as Viscosity Index Improvers in Lubricating Oils, show that coil size expansion with temperature is not necessary to achieve significant elevation of viscosity index (VI), but polymers which do expand with temperature have higher VI contributions than those that do not.
As you will see from the study, polymer coil size in solution is relatively invariant with temperature for OCP VIIs. Olefin copolymers thicken base oils by about the same proportion, regardless of temperature. Situation is different for PMA VIIs because they do expand when temperature increases.

You can find the study here - https://www.researchgate.net/public...ity_Index_Improvers_in_Lubricating_Oils.
It is also available in .pdf format.

Here's a directly accessible study that shows the same thing. In fact, it seems that OCP polymers actually contract with heat. They also explore if VI can be predicted by measuring the polymer behavior. The short answer is no, because as usual, it's more complicated than that.

Viscosity Modifiers: A Fundamental Study

Ed

P.S. Gokan, I'll address your last reply to me later today. I replied late and didn't finish my thoughts.

Ed,

I liken R&D like this (and the previous Lz paper) to Freeform Jazz. It's all terribly clever, with lots of technically impressive twiddly bits. However it doesn't actually 'go' anywhere & after ten minutes, you're bored stiff with it. Arguably what's needed is something more akin to early 1976 Punk Rock (think Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols!). Something simple. Something that you can hum, over & over & over again.

The thing with VII's is not that people don't understand their molecular complexities; it's that they invariably don't even remotely understand the basics! This goes for the great bulk of people responsible for formulating crankcase oil. Given that of all things, VII's are central to the 'shape' & performance of modern engine oils, the application of VIIs by the industry borders on the primative.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
In other words, the ASTM D341 viscosity - temperature calculator is used for finished oils as a theoretical approximation when needed.

Fair enough. If we're trying to come up with a relationship that is claimed to be a real property of a motor oil, though, we're going to need more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back