Viscosity and horsepower, a question for experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quadrun, I think you hit the nail on the head.

This is the problem I have. Say you have 2 oils. One that leaves a lot of sludge/wear particles in the engine. It may show less 'suspended' wear particles and hence a better UOA showing than one that holds particulates in solution.

Having worked for a Race Engine shop the HP is gained mostly be reducing oil pump drag. The original theory of running 20-50 or in racing straight 50-60wt oils were to produce a film strength thick enough to resist pound out and heat degredation from the extreme pressure and rpm from high compression situations. So this quote is correct:" My understanding is that the hp savings aren't from the oil itself ..but the power robbed to pump it. Lighter oil ..less hp used to pump it. That's the rhetoric that I heard ...and it was the chief explanation for the evolution of the 5w-x and 0w-x oils. That is, it had little to do with the actual lubrication qualities of the oil at all ..just the power required to pump it.

NASCAR engine builders btw have adopted a high volume/low pressure school of thought in their lubrication systems. It's used as much as a coolant as a lubricant."

Remember oil serves three functions, cool, clean,and lubricate. one of the tricks we did when most people who were running engines was to lower oil pressure on purpose to gain HP. Who cares what the gauge says as long as the motor stays together and doesn't grenade. Our guys were running modifieds and late models with the oil light on @ idle and low pressure during the race with no ill effects. Reason being the bearings were being properly lubricated IE: Volume, and yet the HP was increased due to the low pressure or resistance from having a gauge read 70 psi.

The other statement that TOP FUEL runs lightweight synthetics is incorrect. They do not! They still run straight weights like Kendall Nitro 70 wt. Due to the severe explosion and stress placed on rod and main bearings and the fact that synthetics do not do well with Nitromethane and Methanol contamination from blow by, However Pro Stock's which run on Race Gasoline along with Nascar Guys will run oils like Synergyn Quad 0000wt's to qualify but rarely run this to race because the film strength is not there for the long haul, but hey who cares when your looking for the pole and you have money pooring out your @#S, The sponsor's footing the bill and the trailer has three more engines.

Boron's, Zinc and Moly help keep things together but their long time use in street cars sometimes lead to Sensor contamination or other issues or is just too cost prohibitive to market to the public.

Just my 0000 cents worth,

Fastr1

Several years ago, we ran some Synergyn light-weights in sprint car engines undergoing dyno testing to see if any additional hp could be made. The engines normally used 20W-50 racing oils by several different blenders. On some engines, we saw MAYBE a 1 or 2 hp gain, sometimes, on engines making hp in the 800s and 900s, at 9500 rpm. The oil pumps pumped enough volume to maintain design oil pressure with the lightweights. Since the oil pumps are constant-volume, and the pressure head remained constant, the parasitic pump hp remained the same also, no savings there. I doubt that any passenger car or racing engine based on a production engine design would see any increase in hp of any significance from using a super-light oil.

However, NASCAR and F1 engines aren't based on production designs. Careful design of the oiling system to maintain laminar flow in the galleries, avoiding metering orifices and other non-linearities, not bypassing oil at the pump outlet, and generally matching flows and pressures and piping sizes (small diameter=laminar flow) to fit the high-flow, low-vis parameters of the system can minimize parasitic losses in the oiling system, freeing up some more hp.

But, the materials in these engines are also chosen to survive this rather harsh, hot, low-viscosity environment. Our engines don't have the cam hardness, cylinder materials, rings, and bearings to live under those conditions. The engine design is a total package; 0000 oils aren't going to do anything good for our motors.

On a humorous note, anybody read the link to the "oil tests" comparing wear and horsepower gains, in which Amsoil showed a clear superiority to other "ultra" class oils, performed by, interestingly, an Amsoil salesman?

The technique used in the 'study' rings a bell with me. As a beginning grad student, many years ago, I was handed assignment of teaching the dreaded freshman physics labs (dreaded for the grad students). I noticed rather soon that a percentage of students chose to hold their mercury thermometers by the bulb while reading temperatures obtained from calorimetric measurements. I always wondered what became of those students. I now have a theory. Well, forgive my digression, back to the study.

The horsepower differences shown in the table in the "Oils against oils" study show a lot of scatter at rpms other than 4000, more than I have personally observed on a well-calibrated Superflow dyno. And peak horsepower occurred at a variety of rpms for different oils, again something I have never observed. Ascribing a 15% variation in hp to differences in oils at low engine speeds (like under 5000rpm) is just ridiculous. The servo brake of the dyno not holding a constant speed could give this measurement scatter, though, as could loss of control over a number of other parameters, say inadvertently changing out a camshaft between pulls, or an ignition problem, say trigger pulse scatter or energy decay.

The wear 'study' was also a remarkable thing. Especially the ability of Amsoil to produce such small wear particles, a lot of them smaller than 50 microns. (If memory serves me right, I'd say that's about 0.002 inches, so evidently the bearing clearances in this engine are doing a good job of filtering out the larger particles). Of course, if this engine were making even 15-50 micron particles, it would be coming apart. Most wear particles are not larger than a micron in size (for good reason, but that's another story). Gritty particles of this size range in filters tend to be agglomerated smaller particles, not primary wear particles, unless some of these oils really are causing an engine meltdown. If so, then Amsoil is obviously producing the coolest meltdown levels. As for the severity of the 'wear', the term "mass" is conventionally used in the literature, but maybe the little magic green box used in the 'tests' doesn't output this.

Seriously, these are hard measurements to make, notoriously lacking in reproducibility. You can't test everything at once, and meaningful results only come from carefully-designed experiments carefully executed. Let's see more real 'studies' in which the grains of truth are considerably larger than 50 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back