Virus warning from our IS dept (real threat?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
INFORMATION SYSTEMS NOTICE

New Computer Worm Programmed to Overwrite Data Files on February 3

Year 2006 most dangerous worm to date could wreak havoc on February 3. There is a new mass-mailing Windows worm (aliases: MyWife, Nyxem, Blackworm, Blackmal, Kama Sutra) that copies itself to shared network locations and sends itself to e-mail addresses found on the target computer. The worm includes a timed destructive attack that attempts to disable antivirus and firewall software and delete certain files, including Microsoft Office documents, on the third day of each month, e.g., February 3. Currently, the worm propagates in email messages with .PIF and .SCR file attachments and we block these attachments by our security model. Our McAfee VirusScan anti-virus software signatures are also aware of this worm. Information Systems will continue to monitor this threat.

Additional safeguards you can take:
Backup any important Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe PDF, .ZIP archive documents from your local hard drive
Be wary when opening e-mail attachments

Reference:
McAfee MyWife virus description http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_138027.htm .

With quality, updated, working antivirus software you should be fine (my Kaspersky has nyxem listed in the definitions). For those who don't have antivirus software...oh well.

If I had my way......and it's a good thing I don't.
I would take those little pr1cks that make these viruses and give them a year in solitary confinment. Nothing to do...just sit in a black hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back