Virgin Sample: Havoline Synthetic 5W40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Havoline Synthetic 5W40 in 4.4L jug
Price: $25.90CDN/4.4L
Sample Amount: approx. 125ml
Sample Taken Date: September 9, 2002
Analyzed Date: September 10, 2002
Mileage on Oil: 0km (Fresh Sample)
Analysis Lab: Hewitt/CAT - Montréal, Québec

Numbers in Parts Per Million (PPM), except for Viscosity and unless otherwise stated:

Copper: 0
Iron: 5
Chrome/Chromium: 0
Lead: 0
Aluminum: 2
Silicon: 9
Molybdenum: 0
Sodium: 0
Magnesium: 1143
Tin: 0
Barium: 2
Nickel: 0
Zinc: 2100
Calcium: 4169
Phosphor: 1593
Potassium: 2
Water: NIL
Fuel: NIL
Antifreeze: NIL
Viscosity @ 100C: 14.1

Comments from Hewitt/CAT: These readings are normal for a new oil.

My Comments: WOW! High amounts of Zinc! I am currently using this oil in my '91 Acura Integra with a B16A VTEC engine (stock is the B18A). I am currently sitting at 100km. I am thinking of running a used oil analysis after going through my second batch of this stuff. Unfortunately, I do not have any baseline to compare it to. So, this might end up being my baseline.

Johnny and others, I am going to run a search, but is this oil Group IV PAO-based? Also, with no Moly present, this might be a good candidate to carry MolySlip.

Regards,

Oz

Just to add,

Here is the spec. sheet from Chevron/Texaco based on a search I found in the Car & Truck forum. I am still trying to read everybody's replies there.

Havoline 5W40:

API Gravity: 31.7
Kinematic Viscosity at 40C: 87.7
Kinematic Viscosity at 100C: 13.7
Cold Crank Viscosity: -30C/50cPoise
Viscosity Index: 158
Flash Point: 222C/432F
Pour Point: -51C/-60F
NOACK 250C for 1H: 8%
Sulfated Ash: 1.2%
Base Number (TBN): 8.8
Phosphorus: 0.098%
Zinc: 0.103%

Regards,

Oz

I am pretty sure it's group III. Iron is already 5 on a base sample.
confused.gif
Silicon seems high also.
shocked.gif

I think you may have analized the Equilon product. What is on the ChevronTexaco site is what you list second, and they don't match. The new product would be 980 ppm phos, 1030 ppm Zn.

Widman -> I still have the jug in my car. Unfortunately, the label says Texaco Canada on it (I'll double-check that). I was not aware that there are two different Havoline Synthetics.

Dragboat -> If Widman is correct, then the MSDS sheet that I can present to you is probably false. Either way though, would there be a Havoling Synthetic under Group III and another one under Group IV? Also, the spec. sheet that I got from Chevron states that this is an SL/CF rated oil. However, I am going to double-check the jug again as I remember it saying SJ/SH. I do not believe there was a reformulation like Mobil...someone please confirm?

Regards,

Oz

I don't thinks its the SL, it has way too much Zinc diaryldithiophosphate in it.

In fact, the oil appears to be a diesel fleet oil with the high zinc and detergent levels.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I don't thinks its the SL, it has way too much Zinc diaryldithiophosphate in it.

In fact, the oil appears to be a diesel fleet oil with the high zinc and detergent levels.

MolaKule, Dragboat, Widman,

Here is the statement on the back of the jug.

"With engine friction and heat, motor oil can become volatile and vapourize, weakening its ability to protect your engine. Havoline Synthetic controls volatility, fights vapourization and provides the ultimate in lubrication and protection. Havoline Synthetic is suitable for use in all gasoline and diesel powered vehicles, domestic and foreign, where an SAE 5W40 engine oil meeting API SJ, SH standards is recommended. It also meets the requirements of JASO. Excellent for turbocharged vehicles. Pours below -42C."

No API commercial rating was printed (misprint perhaps?). The API donut only says API SJ,SH. The Chevron/Texaco spec. sheet that I have been reading now says SL/CF. I cannot find any other spec. sheet document that was pertaining to the old specs.

Comments?

Oz

Oz,

I sure hope you weren't a math major
wink.gif

Take a look at the Texaco spec sheet - it clearly lists phosphorus @ .098% (980 ppm) and zinc @ .103% (1030 ppm). The TBN is listed as 8.8, so I don't believe the levels of calcium/magnesium that show up in your analysis either. Those would be typical of a 12+ TBN diesel oil (CH-4 rated).

Find another oil analysis company ....

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Oz,

wink.gif

Take a look at the Texaco spec sheet - it clearly lists phosphorus @ .098% (980 ppm) and zinc @ .103% (1030 ppm). The TBN is listed as 8.8, so I don't believe the levels of calcium/magnesium that show up in your analysis either. Those would be typical of a 12+ TBN diesel oil (CH-4 rated).

TooSlick,

I'm a computer major who nearly failed math, how about that
wink.gif
? I understand that the spec sheet is completely out of sync compared to the analysis as Widman pointed out earlier. The problem is, I cannot seem to find the older spec. sheet. And as I mentioned before, the label only says API SJ/SH. I think I will be moving forward to Delvac 1 for establishing my baseline as people like Brad seem to indicate that this is a "wannabe" synthetic (Group III).

Regards,

Oz

This is that PAO Synthetic ... the Equilon stuff found at those dollar type clearance stores .

My Son called me on his cell phone from a store like this awhile back and asked if it was worth a buck a quart . That youngster packed some oil home with him
smile.gif

FWIW some of this Equillon made 10w-30 Havoline is still at some Autozones as old stock . It even though it's a SJ oil does not have near the additive pack this one did .

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Oz,

wink.gif

This post is really old, but I should point out that the Canadian Havoline 5W-40 (the oil the analysis was done on), and the American Havoline 5W-40(the oil in the spec sheet) are not the same oil. This would explain the different numbers. The Canadian formulation is (at least as of last year) PAO group IV based. I obtained this information directly from a Canadian Havoline lubrication engineer. I really hope the oil analysis company did not suffer loss of business due to this misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back