Virgin Mazda 0w-20 w/moly Idemitsu SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 2014 Mazda 6 is getting its 1st change in about 1000 miles...
Hope they stock this stuff - so the Part # I need it 0000-G5-0W20-MQ, right?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Wife's 2014 Mazda 6 is getting its 1st change in about 1000 miles...
Hope they stock this stuff - so the Part # I need it 0000-G5-0W20-MQ, right?

That's it. Might be a good idea to call ahead to make sure they have it in stock, or at least know what it is and how to order it. And brace yourself, it isn't cheap.

Oh and don't forget to pick up a few crush washers ; )

Can you buy the Mazda oil and filter online at a discount and then pay the dealer $15 for labor (to save money)?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Can you buy the Mazda oil and filter online at a discount and then pay the dealer $15 for labor (to save money)?

I changed my oil filter (only) last Sun, at 961mi on the clock then. Top off a little over 1/4 qt of the Mazda Moly..and kept the FF until mid-Nov, month 6. At my rate of driving (approx 1kmi/mo), it will only be more or less 6,000mi then. Blackstone to follow.

I plan to bring the Mazda Moly oil 5 qts, and pay the dealer the "conventional" oil change rate (with them providing the oil filter), whoever I decide to bring it to.

Is $6.19/qt a good price for case of 12 = $74.28? It's $87.23 shipped (to my door, at least).
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vwoom
Is $6.19/qt a good price for case of 12 = $74.28? It's $87.23 shipped (to my door, at least).
laugh.gif

Yes, $87.23/case shipped ($7.27/qt) is a good price - it retails for around $8.60/qt.

Seems like a decent price. Have been paying $60.00 per case of TGMO 0W-20 on Ebay (plus $18.00 shipping) for delivery to the front door.

Guys, if you have a Costco membership, you can use their car buying service link.

The referred Mazda dealer they list also offers coupons, good for any accessories/parts for the DIY'ers. I used one (15% off)...not much, but hey it helps esp if you get a qt of the Mazda Moly (like me, for immediate top up needs) or a few. Better than $8.60, for sure.

Guess I'll order the $87.23 otd, to my door..and no tax. They are also a Hazmat Dealer..so shipping them goodies would be no issue.

My 2013 elantra is spec'd for 5w20 and 5w 30. Could i use the mazda oil with moly in the winter? Would i have warranty issues if i do?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My 2013 elantra is spec'd for 5w20 and 5w 30. Could i use the mazda oil with moly in the winter? Would i have warranty issues if i do?

Yes you could use it in the winter or year round for that matter.
Would you have warranty issues? Well that depends.
Hyundai does not spec' the 0W-20 grade so if you ask them if you can run it will tell you no. Does that mean they would actually deny an engine claim if you did? I don't think so but if that doesn't give you the warm and fuzzy feeling you want then just run M1 0W-20. Yes it's a heavier oil but it is lighter on start-up than a 5W-20 and Mobil states that it will not void any auto makers warranty. Exxon/Mobil is bigger than Hyundai which should give you back that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Originally Posted By: vwoom
Guys, if you have a Costco membership, you can use their car buying service link.

The referred Mazda dealer they list also offers coupons, good for any accessories/parts for the DIY'ers. I used one (15% off)...not much, but hey it helps esp if you get a qt of the Mazda Moly (like me, for immediate top up needs) or a few. Better than $8.60, for sure.

Guess I'll order the $87.23 otd, to my door..and no tax. They are also a Hazmat Dealer..so shipping them goodies would be no issue.

Cheapest I could find was $104 shipped (oilchangekits), still less than the local dealer and think its worth it for the extra anti-friction which should translate to less wear. Little apprehensive about using it in a Subaru boxer but the manual calls for 0w-20 GF5 in this new FA20 engine. I am a big believer in high vi /low cold start visc as that's where most engine wear occurs.

My dealer's close to me. I bought 15 quarts (for three oil changes) at once. They indicated they would order it for me in the future if they didn't keep it in stock. They even beat my online price of $7.00 each for the OEM filters. Makes for fewer maintenance decisions for me.

I have not had to do any top-ups so far. Nice change from my 89 Accord that required top-ups every 2-3K miles for its entire 23 year life. Of course, according to other posters I could just be getting enough fuel into the oil to offset the oil consumption.

That's my poke at all the DI haters that seem to be on this forum. LOL

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
As soon as the Idemitsu techs get back to me with the complete specs for this brew (probably not until at least after the new year), I will post them up here.
wink.gif

Did he ever get back with you?

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
As soon as the Idemitsu techs get back to me with the complete specs for this brew (probably not until at least after the new year), I will post them up here.
wink.gif

Did he ever get back with you?

He did, but would not offer any info past what everyone already knows about this stuff (claiming the age old, tried and true "proprietary info" carp).

So, I did not post it up.

Maybe someone can have better luck than I did in their research about this??? (They gave me the ROYAL runaround before finally giving me useless info when I tried. I must have wasted 55+ phone minutes on their ineptness, and not knowing who to send me to for specs.
mad.gif
)

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I wish I had done a UOA on this oil before I dumped it. Anyone else have and/or going to do one?
I plan to but that will no be until early next year.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I was thinking maybe just adding the right amount of Liqui-Moly to the Idemitsu oil might give you something similar to the Mazda version. But, the cost of the additive would end up bringing the total oil cost to about the same level or higher. So, if MOS2 does cost a few bucks perhaps the Mazda OEM oil is worth the extra money, assuming you can find it!

Is there any real difference between the Mazda 0W-20 GF5 (made by Idemitsu) and and the Idemitsu GF5? Both having the GF5 designation would lead me to believe they are the same. If not the same, is there somewhere that points out what the differences are?

Based upon my previous experience, it may not be worth getting this oil unless you live close to a Mazda dealer that stocks it. There are plenty of competent 0W-20's talked about on BITOG. They are readily available. This is my philosophy - synthetic oil was always beyond the needs of car engines. Engineers started realizing that in the 90's and began making engines that could capitalize on synthetic oil's advantages. Still, pretty much all the synthetic oils you could buy in this weight range would last as long, or longer than the OEM's OCI.

On another note, I'd be willing to sell the 4.5 qt that I have to a local buyer for a good deal.

The Mazda Skyactive engine specs a 0w-20 GF 5 oil, my owners manual even has "Mazda recommends Castrol motor oil" although the local dealer uses Valvoline. I haven't been able to locate any Castrol 0w-20...anywhere in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back