Virgin Mazda 0w-20 w/moly Idemitsu SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Crewzer
New here.

I've got three gallons of Idemitsu 0W-20 API SN / ILSAC GF-5 waiting for me at home. Would it be worth doing a VOA for comparison purposes?

See here for oil specs: http://www.ilacorp.biz/spec-sheets/idemitsu_ 0w-20_specs.pdf

Thanks!
Jim / crewzer
2012 Subaru Forester Premium 5MT w/ FB25 engine; Subaru 0W-20 SM/GF-4 oil at the moment
2006 BMW 530xiT 6MT w/N52B30 engine; GC 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40

It's not the same as the Mazda version.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Anybody found this oil in Ontario Canada?

Honda/Acura Canada and Mitsubishi use the SM GF-4 Idemitsu 0W-20 which which is high in moly with a 197 VI.
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they up-grade to GF-5 and it's anybodies guess what Idemitsu version that will be.

New here.

I've got three gallons of Idemitsu 0W-20 API SN / ILSAC GF-5 waiting for me at home. Would it be worth doing a VOA for comparison purposes?

See here for oil specs: http://www.ilacorp.biz/spec-sheets/idemitsu_ 0w-20_specs.pdf

Thanks!
Jim / crewzer
2012 Subaru Forester Premium 5MT w/ FB25 engine; Subaru 0W-20 SM/GF-4 oil at the moment

Jim welcome to BITOG and thanks for posting the Idemitsu link.
Does the oil actually say SN GF-5 on the bottle?
If it does then that's a new version of the Idemitsu oil I haven't seen as it has a 197 VI the same as for the GF-4 oil.
What did it cost and who did you source it through?
If it's cheaper than the Mazda oil including shipping costs then it might be worthwhile having a VOA done although it seems unlikely to have a VI higher than what's claimed so the only remaining question would be if it's high moly or not.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
AFE is a 20wt that is at 2.7. Amsoil ASM is 2.8.

The US made M1 AFE's HTHSV is likely something like 2.66cP since the Cdn M1 AFE has a HTHSV from the Cdn PDS of 2.6cP. Mobil used to provide the HTHSV of AFE to two decimal places and it was always over 2.60cP; 2.63cP comes to mind.

The is also SynGard 0W-20 which is made by Cross Oil and it has a HTHSV of 2.7cP plus it's a uber high VI oil at 220. Here is the PDS for those that are not familiar with this oil:

http://www.crossoil.com/lib/docs/pds/PDSFullSyntheticPCMOSNSynGard.pdf

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
New here.

Thanks!
Jim / crewzer

Jim welcome to BITOG and thanks for posting the Idemitsu link.
Does the oil actually say SN GF-5 on the bottle?
If it does then that's a new version of the Idemitsu oil I haven't seen as it has a 197 VI the same as for the GF-4 oil.
What did it cost and who did you source it through?
If it's cheaper than the Mazda oil including shipping costs then it might be worthwhile having a VOA done although it seems unlikely to have a VI higher than what's claimed so the only remaining question would be if it's high moly or not.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm sitting here looking at the three one-gallong jugs of the Idemitsu 0W-20 oil, p/n 20102-059. It's clearly labelled "API SN / ILSAC GF-5 "'Resource Conserving'".

It was US$16.80/gallon from AutohausAZ.com. I ordered 3 gallons and got free UPS ground shipping for an order >$50. Delivered to my front door, it was $4.20/qt.

I think I'll have the VOA done. If it's low moly, then I might consider a cocktail of this stuff plus the Mazda oil.

On a related note, I happened by a Mazda dealer in northern Illinois a couple of days ago. The parts guy had never heard of the Mazda 0W-20 SN/GF0-5 oil w/ moly. His shop uses Mobil 1.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

$4.20/qt is a good price.
The best deal I've heard on the Mazda oil is 6 bucks and change when buying a 12qt case.
If you are going to order a VOA from BlackStone be sure to request the KV40 test to confirm what the V.I. is.

If you are going to order a VOA from BlackStone be sure to request the KV40 test to confirm what the V.I. is.

Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Welcome, and yes, KV40 will be nice. To CATERHAM's point, all that's left is the Moly question. I for one, will be glad to have a cheaper alternative to the Mazda, if it's the same. PS: where in western NC are you? I am in Greensboro.

I'm in Mills River, just south of Asheville.

I hope to get the sample out soon. I have the container from Blackstone... I just need to find it!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Don't like the look of that at all, because they must be worried that the oil is too thin for the block and have given it almost as much Moly as Redline which has just over 700ppm. The result is a lot less Calcium and Magnesium detergents and dispersants. It would be good over a short OCI, but this oil is just like Redline and it will suffer an early drop in TBN and is not good for extended OCI's.
There are limits in add pack terms and if an oil has a lot of anti wear compounds there won't be much room for the very important detergents without exceeding the limits in basic basestock lubrication terms.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Don't like the look of that at all, because they must be worried that the oil is too thin for the block and have given it almost as much Moly as Redline which has just over 700ppm. The result is a lot less Calcium and Magnesium detergents and dispersants. It would be good over a short OCI, but this oil is just like Redline and it will suffer an early drop in TBN and is not good for extended OCI's.
There are limits in add pack terms and if an oil has a lot of anti wear compounds there won't be much room for the very important detergents without exceeding the limits in basic basestock lubrication terms.

Which oil are you refering to? Mazda or the Idemtisu GF-5 he posted?

It doesn't matter. I'll always take high doses of AW additives over a high detergent level preferring optimized lubrication with a reasonable OCI over the compromizes associated with extended OCIs.
The oils we're talking about will last for 7-8K miles which covers the recommended OCI of most domestic OEMs. Besides most BITOG members don't like to push their OCIs even that long.

I was thinking maybe just adding the right amount of Liqui-Moly to the Idemitsu oil might give you something similar to the Mazda version. But, the cost of the additive would end up bringing the total oil cost to about the same level or higher. So, if MOS2 does cost a few bucks perhaps the Mazda OEM oil is worth the extra money, assuming you can find it!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
So, if MOS2 does cost a few bucks perhaps the Mazda OEM oil is worth the extra money, assuming you can find it!

The Mazda 0-20 is available at your nearest Mazda dealer and if they aren't stocking it yet they can certainly order it in.

I bought 15 quarts of it at 6.65 each. I was just thinking about how to make the Idemistu oil more like its Mazda version.

I called a local Mazda dealer yesterday, asking for a quote on an oil change for my son's Civic with the Mazda branded 0w20. Was told they prefer to use a Valvoline synthetic that is far superior to the Mazda that's almost half as much. Said the only thing the Mazda branded stuff does is cost more. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back