Virgin Mazda 0w-20 w/moly Idemitsu SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. I'm not really sure yet if I will do a UOA. I think with the VCM anywhere from 5500-7k would be good for this engine. I already spent the $ on the VOA, so I don't know if it will be money well spent to do a UOA.
smile.gif

I noticed you use HG ow-20 in your accord. Are you hesitant to use TGMO in it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
There's little doubt Idemistsu is using a predominately 4cSt GP III base oil with a VI in the 120 to 135 range.
How they acheive the ultra high finished 221 VI is by using one of the new very high VI polymethacrylates (PMA) branched or star type polymer thickeners.

Do those polymers shear very much Caterham?

^^^ I am sure he will be back on here, but in the meantime the short answer is an emphatic, NO!!, as that is the whole raison d'etre for them (to get as much VI as one can, with as little shear as possible).

They are one of the reasons why the Sustina 0W-20 is held in such high regard on here, with it's 'world record', but shear stable, 229 V.I.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^ I am sure he will be back on here, but in the meantime the short answer is an emphatic, NO!!, as that is the whole raison d'etre for them (to get as much VI as one can, with as little shear as possible).

They are one of the reasons why the Sustina 0W-20 is held in such high regard on here, with it's 'world record', but shear stable, 229 V.I.
wink.gif

Thanks dailydriver. I guess I didn't know if the same polymers were used for the Mazda and the Sustina, that's why I asked the question. I knew the Sustina did not shear in use, I was just curious about the Mazda since it is so new. I CAN tell a difference in engine noise between the Amsoil ASM and the new Mazda with the Mazda being a little "noisier." Thanks for the help.

^^^That (the noise) is probably because the Mazda brew is quite a bit lower viscosity at ALL temps, but especially at higher operational temps, due to it's "almost record" 221 V.I.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: asharris7
So it's flowing "free-er?"

Yes, at ALL temps, and it also does not have that same noise damping/'cushioning' effect the the Amsoil ASM you were using before this had (due to it's lower V.I., and higher{?} HTHSV), especially at full hot operational temps, and higher ambient temps, hence the more noticeable engine/valvetrain noise.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
BTW; Does anyone know the actual HTHSV, and starting TBN of this brew??
21.gif

(...and yes, the NOACK as well would be helpful
wink.gif
)

I dont see it being any higher than 2.6 on HTHS rating. There are very few 20w oils in the market with over 2.6 in HTHS rating.

As soon as the Idemitsu techs get back to me with the complete specs for this brew (probably not until at least after the new year), I will post them up here.
wink.gif

I went to the local Mazda dealer today to buy some of this oil. Both parts countermen told me they don't carry it in quart bottles but they do have it in bulk oil. I asked if I could see the drum of oil....turned out to be Castrol OW20....they said it is the same as the Mazda oil...and they use this for all Mazda's requiring OW20..I left mumbling to myself...not one to drop names here but this is in Augusta, GA.

My Mazda dealer was able to sell me 15 quarts - for three OC's. The counter rep did tell me that they only keep a couple of cases on hand, though. He said that if I end up being a regular user and want a case of it they will order it for me with just a phone call.

I did not ask about what they use as their bulk oil. The Mazda Skyactiv engine is very raucous at start up so it would be pretty hard to tell if the oil made any difference there. Compared to the factory fill I don't hear any lower noise level. This engine lacks the sweet sound that my 2.0 liter EFI engine in the 89 Accord made, even after 23 years. But, that is such a subjective observation that probably doesn't mean much in relation to performance and longevity.

My mpg has dropped by one. I think that is just due to the cold weather, but it is interesting to me that this car gets better mileage in the heat with the A/C on than it does in what we call "winter" in Dallas.

Originally Posted By: squirrel
I went to the local Mazda dealer today to buy some of this oil. Both parts countermen told me they don't carry it in quart bottles but they do have it in bulk oil. I asked if I could see the drum of oil....turned out to be Castrol OW20....they said it is the same as the Mazda oil...and they use this for all Mazda's requiring OW20..I left mumbling to myself...not one to drop names here but this is in Augusta, GA.

I had to WORK (and travel) to find a dealer with this in stock!
mad.gif

Most just either tried to get me to do a FULL oil/filter change with their bulk carp for $60.00+ (NO THANKS!!), or tried to sell me the M1 AFE they had on the shelf for $9.50-$11.50/quart (again, NO THANKS, since I can get it for 6.97/qt. at Sino Mart IF that's what I wanted).

These (Mazda) dealers should be required to carry this stuff if it is specced for these skyactiv powerplants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back