Virgin Mazda 0w-20 w/moly Idemitsu SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's little doubt Idemistsu is using a predominately 4cSt GP III base oil with a VI in the 120 to 135 range.
How they acheive the ultra high finished 221 VI is by using one of the new very high VI polymethacrylates (PMA) branched or star type polymer thickeners.

I'll have to see what my local mazda dealer charges for this stuff. My work has an account with them, so I'm hoping I can get it at cost, or close to it. I was contemplating eventually using the toyota 0w-20 in my scion, but this stuff looks just as good, if not better, and the dealer is a couple blocks down the road from me, much closer than the 30min. drive to my nearest toyota dealer.

Aaron, thank you for posting the VOA for this oil. Looks like a great oil with lots of molybdenum; a good choice for those of us who like that. I am extremely interested to try this myself in one of my own vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Aaron, thank you for posting the VOA for this oil. Looks like a great oil with lots of molybdenum; a good choice for those of us who like that. I am extremely interested to try this myself in one of my own vehicles.

Where in NC do you live?

Does ANYONE know if the U.S. Mazda dealers are supposed to have/offer this stuff ON THE SHELF in their parts departments, and NOT just in bulk in the service areas??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My local Mazda dealers have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what I am even asking for, and do not even have the older, low moly/V.I., Mazda branded Idemitsu stuff in quart bottles anymore.
confused2.gif
mad.gif
(I guess they expect one to pay boutique oil prices for their garbage bulk oils in their oil changes?)

It is easier to find/get Sustina/Elf/Millers/etc. than to get this stuff, it seems.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does ANYONE know if the U.S. Mazda dealers are supposed to have/offer this stuff ON THE SHELF in their parts departments, and NOT just in bulk in the service areas??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My local Mazda dealers have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what I am even asking for, and do not even have the older, low moly/V.I., Mazda branded Idemitsu stuff in quart bottles anymore.
confused2.gif
mad.gif
(I guess they expect one to pay boutique oil prices for their garbage bulk oils in their oil changes?)

It is easier to find/get Sustina/Elf/Millers/etc. than to get this stuff, it seems.
frown.gif

I can find it easily aroung my area. Just call around if you need to. Around $7 a qt. Still cheaper than Sustina, but all depends on your application.

I found one dealer, about 45 minutes away, who claims to have it sitting on his shelf for $8.95/qt.

There is a dealer online (in Va.) who is selling it for $6.95/qt.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I found one dealer, about 45 minutes away, who claims to have it sitting on his shelf for $8.95/qt.

There is a dealer online (in Va.) who is selling it for $6.95/qt.

I use my military discount...I got out in 2004, but I ask them for it and they never ID me.. . even though I still have the ID. Maybe haggle with them for a better price. I should stock up and start selling it on here lol.

Originally Posted By: Baveux
Dont know for your neck of woods but here in canada I've paid $6.33 per litres for Mazda oil

Mazda Canada uses the Petro-Canada 0W-20; it's not a high VI (168) or high moly oil.
The Honda/Acura Canada 0W-20 is made by Idemitsu but it is still the GF-4 version (it is high moly though). I would think it's just a matter of time (I hope) before they start getting the GF-5 version. Their list price is $7.67/L the last time I checked.

For the time being the best 20wt value is the Toyota 0W-20 (VI 216) at $5.75/L.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Baveux
Dont know for your neck of woods but here in canada I've paid $6.33 per litres for Mazda oil

Mazda Canada uses the Petro-Canada 0W-20; it's not a high VI (168) or high moly oil.
The Honda/Acura Canada 0W-20 is made by Idemitsu but it is still the GF-4 version (it is high moly though). I would think it's just a matter of time (I hope) before they start getting the GF-5 version. Their list price is $7.67/L the last time I checked.

For the time being the best 20wt value is the Toyota 0W-20 (VI 216) at $5.75/L.

If price is close, Will you be mixing the Mobil ow-40 with it?

Get ready to burn through this stuff if your engine isnt up to this "thin" oil. Read many,many complaints on the subaru sites on the new FB engines; I tried the Subaru oil in my honda fit (oci#1)and it drank it** like a weddng crasher at a champagne fountain.

** 1/2 Qt/week

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Get ready to burn through this stuff if your engine isnt up to this "thin" oil. Read many,many complaints on the subaru sites on the new FB engines; I tried the Subaru oil in my honda fit (oci#1)and it drank it** like a weddng crasher at a champagne fountain.

** 1/2 Qt/week

Did you mean Mazda oil?????

I am sure we all understand that SOME oil slips into the combustion chambers and gets burned no matter what. With that said, I am past 6,000 miles on my FF in the Mazda. The oil level on the dipstick is still at the top dimple. I'm sure some oil is gone and/or the oil could be diluted by fuel. I have a trained nose (for spirits), but it still pretty much smells like oil and not fuel. Very unscientific, I know.

I think we will all agree, also, that there probably isn't a single oil that is going to work well for everybody.

I just put this stuff in my Honda. It's a little noisier than the Amsoil, but just by a hair. It's just more affordable than the Amsoil SS. I am not able to use the long drain capability of the Asmoil due to having the VCM engine. I don't know why that other poster was talking about the Subaru oil. . . . . maybe he misread the topic title. . .

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I just put this stuff in my Honda. It's a little noisier than the Amsoil, but just by a hair. It's just more affordable than the Amsoil SS. I am not able to use the long drain capability of the Asmoil due to having the VCM engine. I don't know why that other poster was talking about the Subaru oil. . . . . maybe he misread the topic title. . .

The Mazda SN ILA oil looks like a good choice for Honda VCMs. But my cup runneth over with TGMO, M1 and PP so it will be a while before I'm buying any 0W-20. You gonna do a UOA? I for one would be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back