VIRGIN DONALDSON #P 55132 CUT OPEN

look, nitrile ADBV’s may be fine for 99% of users, but in commercial service they don’t work for us.
This particular filter OP posted is rated for 500 hours on industrial equipment all of their applications are diesel engines. Fairly certain there are various grades of nitrile elastomers that can work in severe service conditions.

This particular filter OP posted is rated for 500 hours on industrial equipment all of their applications are diesel engines. Fairly certain there are various grades of nitrile elastomers that can work in severe service conditions.
diesel engines with a metric ton of oil cooling more than likely. again, nitrile may be okay for most people but i will not use them.

Donaldson site says the 3614 cross is 550335 and is 99% at 40 microns. 😮

You guys are running these on car’s okay? I think it may be an equipment filter. The efficiency is a dream come true.

If you search LF16011 at Fram's website, it directly cross ref it to the PH3614 series. The Donaldson is a direct cross to the LF16011 and actually has the same bypass specs as the FE3614. Its likely Donaldson just like Fleetguard probably didn't vet their filter to a light duty automotive application (its not their market core focus other than industrial and heavy duty). The LF16011 I cut opened the other week also raises my suspicions that the bypass spring feels lighter than it is claimed to be at their website. Which is why I'm going to vet these filters someday on my car as a fun project and cut open after use.

1711849573468.jpg

The LF16011 I cut opened the other week also raises my suspicions that the bypass spring feels lighter than it is claimed to be at their website.
Only way to verify a bypass valve is to test it with an accurate force scale, and also measure the valve's pressure acting area to calculate the actual opening PSI of the valve. Can't just go by the "feel" of the spring.

Great looking filter! Thanks for the C&P! Interesting that they use a nitrile adbv on a premium filter. Though I will admit in almost 25 years of changing oil I’ve only had an adbv “fail” once. And that was about 10 years ago on a NAPA Silver.
While the construction of this filter leaves us impressed, I don't think Donaldson considers their white filters to be premium filters. This are their basic lube (oil) filters. To Donaldson, their premium filters are those in the Blue line. Donaldson is rather proud of their Blue filter line.

Only way to verify a bypass valve is to test it with an accurate force scale, and also measure the valve's pressure acting area to calculate the actual opening PSI of the valve. Can't just go by the "feel" of the spring.
Maybe If I had the room to spare some laboratory measuring equipment. Though for now I go with my booty dyno finger human duper transducer feeling for the personal entertainment. Until then I will them for 5K and cut them open.

If you're really invested in reverse engineering their true values and making a database here I wouldn't mind sending a few filters your way to take apart and measure their spring pressures and opening pressure in relation to the opening valve face area.

Kinda related, I am very curious about the 23 PSI differential pressure bypass claim on Subaru oil filters and I might end up buying a few to cut open since I'm looking for a high efficiency alternative for my bros 2022 WRX when the warranty expires.

While the construction of this filter leaves us impressed, I don't think Donaldson considers their white filters to be premium filters. This are their basic lube (oil) filters. To Donaldson, their premium filters are those in the Blue line. Donaldson is rather proud of their Blue filter line.
Yes and many are 99% at 15 microns

If you search LF16011 at Fram's website, it directly cross ref it to the PH3614 series. The Donaldson is a direct cross to the LF16011 and actually has the same bypass specs as the FE3614. Its likely Donaldson just like Fleetguard probably didn't vet their filter to a light duty automotive application (its not their market core focus other than industrial and heavy duty). The LF16011 I cut opened the other week also raises my suspicions that the bypass spring feels lighter than it is claimed to be at their website. Which is why I'm going to vet these filters someday on my car as a fun project and cut open after use.

View attachment 211318
Best answer I’ve seen on this thank you.

I wonder if the high efficiency is going to push it into bypass frequently due to the efficiency? Do hydraulic systems have similar flow and pressure as a car? I’ve no idea.

Good Korning BITOGERS 😍🇺🇸🇨🇦

Since I have 10 of these; thought I’d see if these are wire backed. We have wire backing!! 🎊🎉🪅🍺🍺

I don’t care if ADBV is nitrile either; louvers look good. Date code January 3, 2024 at 0309 AM. Enjoy the photos.

View attachment 211162

View attachment 211163

View attachment 211164

View attachment 211165

View attachment 211166

View attachment 211167

View attachment 211168

View attachment 211169

View attachment 211170

View attachment 211171

Thank you 53' Stude for the pictures. It looks like the hole at the 7 o'clock position in the tapping plate in picture 5 needs to be deburred?

Back