Vibration while accelerating, part 3

After getting the aftermarket CV axles replaced multiple times under warranty, and the front wheel bearings changed, and the transmission drained/filled, a small vibration persists during hard acceleration, especially from 0 to 45mph.

I have confirmed the front rims are not bent through multiple mechanics and tire shops.

Right now the consensus from multiple shops is that the remaining shudder/vibration has nothing to do with the CV axles. Multiple shops think it is the transmission, namely, the torque converter. They all think it's a TC shudder. Not a mechanical issue with the front end, not a bent rim issue, not a CV axle issue, not a loose suspension component issue, not a wheel bearing issue, etc.

The last shop I took it to told me that the shudder was so minor that they didn't even want to do anything to it. They didn't even push for a pan drop and filter change. They just told me to keep driving until the problem becomes more serious, and in their words, more readily diagnosable.

My questions are:

What should/could I do about the TC shudder? I just added a tube of Dr. Tranny/LubeGard instant shudder fix, which doesn't seem to have had any effect. Should I just leave it alone and keep driving until it actually becomes a violent shudder? The trans has 140k miles on it, and it's just received its first drain/fill in the last 1000 miles.

Didn't you get just one axle replaced a second time?

Anyway, can you find a long, sweeping curve on a quiet highway and do multiple back and forths? Drive in a manner that would make it occur, and if it changes with direction of turn it has to do with differentiation, not the torque converter.

Also if it seems RPM dependent I could maybe buy shudder, but if it's more speed dependent it's likely not. The CV's always spin at X at speed Y because your tire diameter is constant, but the converter will spin at or near engine rpm which varies based upon gear selected

If it truly is tc shudder (that magically appeared after having CV's replaced) and it's that minor, yeah, I'd personally ignore it until it gets worse.

Your converter shouldn’t shudder under hard accel just FYI. Mostly axles in that scenario. Wheels, tires etc
I was thinking this, too. Converter shudder is usually more of a flutter/hiccup/misfire feeling under lighter throttle at speed.

OP, do you feel this in the steering wheel like torque steer/bump steer? Or just a vibration in the seat of your pants or ?

Here is a general vid about tc shudder. Note it's never described as when accelerating hard from zero to 45

If you wanna stay more Toy specific, the Car Care Nut says these Camrys will shudder right around 40mph but he specifically says, "If you accelerate harder....it goes away."

Googling for "2018 Toyota Highlander torque converter shudder" doesn’t seem to turn up anything model specific on its face. That doesn't mean an '18 Highlander is immune, but this is seemingly not a common problem and so my skepticism stays firmly in place.

Isn't it kind of hilarious that after multiple aftermarket JUNK driveshafts/axles they (mechanics) then want to blame the transmission.. Not their cheap-junk quality aftermarket axles?! Come on.. Time to find a better mechanic and if you keep getting junk from the aftermarket time to go to Toyota, get their axles, problem solved.

All this is going to end with is more and more $$$ from you, chasing bad advice from these so-called "mechanics".

I will say that I added 2 tubes of instant shudder fix from lubegard and it does seem that some of the minimal vibration on hard acceleration from 0 to 50 has diminished further. There's still a very minute amount of vibration 0 to 50, and a small vibration between 75 and 85.

Don't overlook motor mounts as a sagging one can change the geometry of the driveline components, especially when they are stressed during acceleration..
That's what was happening on my 2001 Grand Prix.
Thought it might have been an axle, but the front motor mount fixed it.

That's what was happening on my 2001 Grand Prix.
Thought it might have been an axle, but the front motor mount fixed it.
Don't overlook motor mounts as a sagging one can change the geometry of the driveline components, especially when they are stressed during acceleration..

That ls until only 6 weeks went by and the POS anchor mount took a dump and my vibration returned!
Was trying to tell that to a young boy on A Facebook Pontiac group, and another young boy said NO!
I told him about my experiences, and he said "I was just feeling the motor jerking around!
I just clicked the "like emoji".

Is it RPM specific? throttle specific? wheel speed specific? Same turning left vs turning right?

My engine mount vibration was throttle specific. My tire was wheel speed specific. My wheel bearing was only when I turn right at certain speed.

If you want to check your TC can you drive with it unlock by forcing your car to a certain "gear" like 1 or 2?

So the way I read this, is a shop replaced the CV axles under warranty then the shudder started?

Why did you need the OE CV axles replaced on a 2018 Highlander? Torn boots? Other noises, clicks?

You also mentioned the wheel bearings were replaced, how many miles do you have? Was the front end involved in a curb hit, wheel strike to the face of the wheel?....what was the sequence of events? Sorry if I missed that.

Did you have any transmission service done prior to this shudder? If so, what was done and how was the fluid changed?

Is it RPM specific? throttle specific? wheel speed specific? Same turning left vs turning right?

My engine mount vibration was throttle specific. My tire was wheel speed specific. My wheel bearing was only when I turn right at certain speed.

If you want to check your TC can you drive with it unlock by forcing your car to a certain "gear" like 1 or 2?
Thread was necro'd. This has been an ongoing saga and OP had at least three threads. Resolution here:

Back