Vibration from wheel area at highway speeds

08 Acura TL with 215k miles on it. Never replaced any suspension components. Tires are relatively new, and I have not had any alignment or balancing problems. All of the sudden I am getting vibration from the passenger front tire area at highway speeds (~75mph). Does not seem to fit any classic symptoms of wheel bearing or suspension components. Is my best bet an alignment?

If you've never replaced anything in the suspension, go ahead and replace your compliance bushings, they are shot. Don't use anything but the OEM pieces as most all of the aftermarket ones are too soft and will cause inside tire wear. Most of the other bushings in the car will live on much longer, but the compliance bushings take a beating and usually are shot in 100k.

Part#: 51394-SEP-A11 - Front Compliance Bushings

After that, go looking at your shocks, at 215k they're worn out too. You don't have to go with factory, but for the love of handling, do something better most of the crap on RockAuto (KYB being the Exception, those are ok.) Personally, I spend about $70-80 on the Koni StrT's, they're my favorite 'factory replacement' shock.

Of course, you'll need an alignment after replacing parts, so get everything done and have the alignment checked.

The alignment by itself is unlikely to cause a vibration unless something else is worn/broken.

This is what the compliance bushing looks like. It is the front bushing on the lower control arms. If you jack that side of the car up, it will be very obvious that the bushing is torn or cracking.
93069d1514073579-heeltoe-compliance-bushing-install-img_20171223_152519.jpg

Last edited:
Back