Vibration and Deep Humming like sound?

DR1

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with almost 148K miles on it. A few days ago I had brand new exhaust installed from cats back. The exhaust is made by Walker,the "Quiet Flow Series". Something I noticed about 3 hrs after getting my exhaust put on was a unusual vibration/deep humming type sound. It only does this when I am at a complete stop at idle with my truck in drive. It don't notice this while my truck is in "park" at idle.

When I open the my driver side door and listen there is no noticeable sound from the outside. It is only noticed while inside the cab of the truck.

Today I cleaned my throttle body along with my mass air flow sensor and it still is doing this.

Any ideas ?

Here is what someone just said to me - I think its cause the pipe is 2" vs 2.5" like its supposed to be, so the inner flange sends the pulses back and thats what makes the drone/rumble.

Never heard of downsizing diameter on a cat back exhaust. Reasoning?
When I ordered the exhaust I had no idea it was 2 inch instead of it being 2.5 inch. I just found out that factory is 2.5. I'm pissed! lol

When I ordered the exhaust I had no idea it was 2 inch instead of it being 2.5 inch. I just found out that factory is 2.5. I'm pissed! lol
That sucks. Check and see if any exhaust hangers were swapped out. The factory rubber units isolate pretty well. Maybe they were swapped for something more "robust" that transmits more noise/vibes.

Today when I was out running errands I did notice this without the ac on but it wasn't quite like it is when the ac is on. I also verified with a very credible source that the oem exhaust pipe diameter size is 2" when I thought it was 2.5". Today I hammered down on my Titan and it is still as strong as ever.

When a trucks exhaust has a drone sound can it do it while at idle and the drone make the steering wheel vibrate?

its possible. Just the right pitch can induce vibrations in weird spots. Our crv had an idle speed resonance and they fixed it with different radiator mounts and seat headrests. I’d be suspicious that it’s the exhaust itself vibrating at that pitch, and the shake moving from there. Might try messing with mounts.

Exhaust shops are usually pretty bad, id suspect the installation / mounting of this new muffler.

Id suggest either replacing the exhaust with OE or a Quality cat back that meets your sound expectations, there are quite a few options on Summit.

Tacking a (or a couple of) poorly installed resonator(s) into a poorly installed exhaust is not likely to yield a good result.

How about some pictures of what you're working with?

Back