Very multi purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need recomendations, grease for:
Riding mower, Cub Cadet. deck spindles and steering.
Snow blower, A 77' Areins. Auger shaft has grease zerks.
Car, Buick. I use my car for work. front suspension, steering.
I would like to know which brand would be a good fit for ALL my needs. And only having one grease gun, I have no desire for another grease gun. One tube of grease to use for all my applications.
If this helps, I live in the Bflo NY area.
Thanx.

Quote:

Most any grease would work. Mystic is on the bottom of my list.

What would be on the top of, or, somewhere in the middle of your list. An inquiring mind really want to know!

Look at spec sheets. Define what you want.
High speed things need lower visc (100 to 150 cSt) base oils. Super slow speed high weight should have something more like a 320 cSt. Typical multipurpose are between 100 and 220.
In the cold you want pumpability, so you want synthetic or Group II base oil, not the typical napthenic which will thicken more in the cold and thin out in heat.
For maximum protection, look towards a higher Timken number. at least 60 lbs.
I'd go for at least a Lithium Complex, preferably a polyurea.
I don't know all the products in the US market, but something like a Chevron Black Pearl fits the your general description. There are probably 50 similar products. If you want to go with synthetic, I'm sure Amsoil and Schaeffer can fit the bill with excellent products.

im not a grease expert, however none of those items strike me as a very demanding application. if you manage to remember to grease those items once a year they ought to last forever.

so i would say just grab the cheapest grease you can find. grease once a year, and enjoy.

Read the tubes. You don't want wheel bearing grease. Something for extreme pressure, with moly, if you have to buy it at a mass merchandiser.

The front end of the buick should be the determining factor, what works for that will work for your yard equipment.

M1 synthetic all purpose is a very practical all around grease that is easily found. It will do all that you want it to do, and will cover the cold flow issue.

I feel much more comfortable with a 6mo (or less) grease schedule for autos that are driven daily. One year is too much time to give any grease, IMO. Especially on slow speed applications.
Too easy for the base oil to fall out of suspension, leaving thick soap that does little.

Frequent greasing also helps to keep particulate out of the load bearing areas. This really comes into play with yard equipment, or autos driven in lots of sand, dust, water/salt&cinders.

Another reason I like M1 syn for these applications, is that the product itself is a red translucent color. This helps with recognizing/identifying contamination, much more than the darker colored greases can.

Originally Posted By: Geo148
Quote:
Most any grease would work. Mystic is on the bottom of my list.

What would be on the top of, or, somewhere in the middle of your list. An inquiring mind really want to know!

So fred, any responce?

Like others, I know just enough about grease to give out bad advice. I don't have an answer for you. But, your applications include very high speed blade spindle bearings, maybe bushing type "bearings" in your mower/blower apps., and slow moving auto front end parts.

I use lithium complex type grease as a wide spectrum product with good results. It is extreme pressure and is labeled for both wheel bearings and chassis use. I'm using the NAPA house brand (valvolene) right now on all my ag and lawn equipment.

My not-well regarded John Deere tube (marketing hype)says:

"Provides excellent protection under extreme temperature and high pressure. Applications include agriculture, automotive, and industrial applications including wheel bearings, universal joints, suspension systems, ball joints, and friction and plain bearings.

Eljefino - why not wheel bearing grease. The most common are lithium hydroxestearate (sp?) or lithium complex which are multi-use for bearings and other apps..

Only under the most demanding conditions would I expect one to see a difference between grease selection, i.e. - heavily used construction equipent sitting out in the elements 24/7. extreme temp. or load conditions, etc.. You're stated apps. are pretty "average".

Just my 2 cents!

Originally Posted By: Master ACiD
im not a grease expert, however none of those items strike me as a very demanding application. if you manage to remember to grease those items once a year they ought to last forever.

so i would say just grab the cheapest grease you can find. grease once a year, and enjoy.

I've seen so much equipment destroyed this way. hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown away in bearings, suspension, etc. The only thing you are going to enjoy that way is a temporary satisfaction of leaving a dollar or two in your pocket until you fork out the big bucks.
And don't rule out a grease because it says it can be used for wheel bearings. Most good greases can/should be.

Any time somebody says HI-TEMP it scares me, when talking grease. Most common general use greases are not Hi-Temp and will not mix with a true Hi-temp grease. Bentone clay and polyurea greases don't play well with others, non compatable.
Moly, is a great additive in bushing applications, or bi-directional applications, but keep it aways from my balls(breaings that is). I have noticed that grease consumption also goes up with Moly under Shock Load, seems to slip right out. And if you don't put it back your sunk,who greases that often?
Look for a higher Timken Load grease 100# with stickability.
TRC's Paragon 3000 won't let you down. Even with elevated temps.

Quote:
Any time somebody says HI-TEMP it scares me, when talking grease. Most common general use greases are not Hi-Temp and will not mix with a true Hi-temp grease.

LubeDr, remember, we're talking about lawn mowers and ball joints here. Not the blast furnaces at US Steel.

Quote:
Moly, is a great additive in bushing applications, or bi-directional applications, but keep it aways from my balls(breaings that is).

That's a good generalization, but I always wonder how Ford gets away with recommending Moly bearing grease for their wheel bearings. Anyone know?

Originally Posted By: LubeDr
Any time somebody says HI-TEMP it scares me, when talking grease. Most common general use greases are not Hi-Temp and will not mix with a true Hi-temp grease. Bentone clay and polyurea greases don't play well with others, non compatable.
Moly, is a great additive in bushing applications, or bi-directional applications, but keep it aways from my balls(breaings that is). I have noticed that grease consumption also goes up with Moly under Shock Load, seems to slip right out. And if you don't put it back your sunk,who greases that often?
Look for a higher Timken Load grease 100# with stickability.
TRC's Paragon 3000 won't let you down. Even with elevated temps.

TRC's Crown and Chassis grease ain't bad either. Hydrotex makes a grease called Hydro-Syn 70 that is also a very good grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back