Very good results using Type-F fluid in DBW Hondas

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sure to scare some of you but lets keep the insults to a minimum.

We've been trying to come up with a solution to the turbo TL's appetite for the 5at transmission. Line pressure rise will be on the way but for now, myself and a few others have been experimenting with Redline and Amsoil's non FM Type-F fluids to test drivability. These things are failing from slipping clutches but not parts breakage.

I'm running Redline's racing Type-F (non FM) fluid at about 80% right now. Drivability is excellent, no shudder even during TCC lockup. No harsh shifts, just positive quick shifts, the way the factory should've done it. Total mileage is almost 10,000 on this fluid and over 90,000 for the car. This thing has been run on Amsoil ATD for most of it's life, Redline D4 for a short while and now Type-F.

These are DBW cars that shut the throttle quickly on upshifts. We had a member in one of the earlier non DBW cars try it and he's getting a chirp from the tires going into 3rd gear so I don't recommend it for those cars.

According to some of the literature out there, this fluid should offer a good 50% more dynamic holding power and 100% more static holding power over the Z1.

This experiment is for those of us that are about to install the 420whp turbo kit to help the trans live. But to those who wonder if there are going to be problems going from Z1 to a regular FM fluid like Amsoil ATF, Mobil One, etc, I would stop worrying. These transmissions seem to like this stuff in conjuction with the DBW throttle so a "normal" ATF is pretty safe.

if you really want that trans to live, you should put a big RV trans cooler and a magnefine on it!

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
if you really want that trans to live, you should put a big RV trans cooler and a magnefine on it!

Got both of them a few years ago. The problem with adding power is the super FM Z1 fluid. Hopefully the cooler, filter, and fluid is all it needs to hold the new power.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Is Redline's racing type F the same as civilian/conventional type F?

The same as in it has no FM. Different in that it's a synthetic.

Yes, very interesting. Which trans was this again? I have a '00 Accord so I was wondering about the contextual aspects.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Yes, very interesting. Which trans was this again? I have a '00 Accord so I was wondering about the contextual aspects.

'04-'08 Acura TL 5at. I don't think the Accords use the DBW, at least not in '00 so shifts would probably be very firm.

I thought type F was friction modified with additives to make it 'stickier'.
Apparently it is ATF with no slip additives?

Type F was used as a single fluid by some trans rebuilders in the 70's. It gave you firmer shifts. I'm not up on the contemporary formulations since it's mostly obsolete, but it had friction material in the fluid that Dex did not. It's obvious that a trans can get a long life on the stuff.

The original TrickShift was way over dosed Type F. Did wonders for slam solid shifts ..and about 10k later had a good bit of the trans metal sitting in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back