Vehicle Safety Sense Equipment

As many of you already know, my daughter was REAR ENDED and her CIVIC in my signature was TOTALED. Thanks for all of your best wishes & comments.

She got a rental car in the mean time till she decides on her next vehicle. Here is what she told me about her RENTAL.
______________________________________________________________________________________
In order to get a rental car that day, my daughter had to accept(in which she didn't mind) a 2016 Honda Civic(coincidently, another CIVIC) OR, wait till next week for a rental turn in. The rental company had just gotten this Civic(yes a 2016) back and didn't have time to inspect it(oil, tires etc.) or wash it. But she didn't care what car she was given as she needed a car RIGHT NOW!

She likes driving this CIVIC(showing 40 mpg) and rides & handles well and reasonably quiet. But she is not used to the Honda Safety Sense Equipment as it has been beeping on her whole drive to Harrisburg, PA and she hasn't learned yet, how to turn them off...it's just a rental.

She had to drive to her NOSC in Harrisburg, PA for this month's Naval Reserve Duty(weekend). The car was beeping the whole way from State College to Harrisburg(~90 miles). And the steering was erratic due to the LKA...even when using the directional.

Not to say that she doesn't believe in the new vehicles Safety Sweet of Sensing Equipment that all vehicles have, she does indeed. She just want's to pick & chose which ones to leave ON. And until she learns this car, she'll have to put up with the beeping(s)/warning signals. She plans on buying another "something" soon.

We're all still driving cars(only with VSC & ABS) but without any of the AMB, LKA, DCC, BSM etc. And we all still have manual Parking Brakes in the vehicles in my signature.

We realize that our next vehicles will certainly have all of the above.

My wife has a 2021 Corolla Hybrid. It has Toyota Safety Sense.

It annoyed her and she turned everything off but the auto braking feature.

So it will automatically brake and beep at the same time if her or I are about to rear end a vehicle in front of us.

It will sometimes beep at you if your in a tight residential neighborhood, which has streets that are curvy with cars parked on them.

The auto braking thing is a really good safety feature.

Another cool thing about it is dynamic radar cruise control. You set the cruise and have 3 car length options regarding the space between you and the vehicle in front of you. So while still needing to pay attention while driving, you don't gotta fiddle with the cruise control once set.

If someone gets in front of you quick, the cruise control will back off and even apply the brakes if needed.
If your behind a slower vehicle and make a lane change with faster moving vehicles, the Corolla will automatically speed back up to the set cruise MPH point.

I rent all sorts of cars on a weekly basis, I find the "nanny" stuff infuriating and always turn it off. A few cars require that it be turned off every drive. And a few cars have such features that cannot be shut off.

I tend to "apex" corners and the lane departure warnings, and steering wheel vibrations are just too much.

I don't think you can shut the Honda system down completely. It does have a reputation for being somewhat intrusive.

I think for most people the first experience is off-putting but with familiarity they really can be an asset. Blind, spot, cross traffic and automatic braking are particularly nice.

I believe you can adjust the distance on the automatic braking, sounds like the rental could be set on max.

This was one of the issues that swayed us from a Civic to a Jetta. VW has much less of it and it is less intrusive.

I don't mind the Honda stuff, especially since it will follow the car in front down to zero and in stop-and-go traffic. You can make the system very aggressive or pretty passive. I see no reason to turn it off.

My only gripe is that when I set the cruise to 60mph, the van will accelerate to 61mph, then over compensate and drop to 58mph. Then it will lock in a 60mph for a few miles, before rising to 61mph and dropping to 58mph again.

you should be able to do it; look for this cluster somewhere on the dash; only drawback, the speedometer cluster will illuminate for you, telling you it is OFF

the driver assist feature in its first generation is very sensitive; my Accord has it and in the beginning it sacred a crap out of me on multiple occasions, which is no longer the case now

IMG_9690.jpeg

I know nobody reads the owners manual, but this would be a good reason to do it.
Well, she is in the reserves and it’s only a rental. The day she got in the car crash, was an extremely busy day as she was:

*on her way to work(civilian job)) in the morning
*got hit from behind…car was totaled by the ins. co.
*had to deal with that situation & police report
*Police Officer drove her to work
*went to work…she had deadlines to meet and she wasn’t hurt
*deal with ins. co’s
*find & pick up a rental car
*go to the impound where her car was towed and gather her personal belongings still remaining in the car
*drive 1 1/2 hours to her NOSC in Harrisburg.
* all between 8am & 5pm

*I don’t think the owners manual was the first thing on her mind, do you?

Well, she is in the reserves and it’s only a rental. The day she got in the car crash, was an extremely busy day as she was:

*on her way to work(civilian job)) in the morning
*got hit from behind…car was totaled by the ins. co.
*had to deal with that situation & police report
*Police Officer drove her to work
*went to work…she had deadlines to meet and she wasn’t hurt
*deal with ins. co’s
*find & pick up a rental car
*go to the impound where her car was towed and gather her personal belongings still remaining in the car
*drive 1 1/2 hours to her NOSC in Harrisburg.
* all between 8am & 5pm

*I don’t think the owners manual was the first thing on her mind, do you?
Maybe you can help her out and look it up for her? http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATBA164DOM/enu/ATBA164DOM.PDF

Back