Variable Vane Turbochargers - how to keep them clean

Volvo D3-200 (Marine)

Boat is used lightly - was told the engine turbo needs to be used HARD to keep turbo from carbon-ing up - Will ANY diesel additive work to reduce the carbon?

Volvo D3-200 (Marine)

Boat is used lightly - was told the engine turbo needs to be used HARD to keep turbo from carbon-ing up

It does. Get it good and hot hot from time to time.

An additive might help the fuel system, more important if it is common rail, but it won’t help much else.

Volvo D3-200 (Marine)

Boat is used lightly - was told the engine turbo needs to be used HARD to keep turbo from carbon-ing up - Will ANY diesel additive work to reduce the carbon?
Fuel doesn't really reach the turbo.... so the turbo needs to be driven balls to the wall to keep the vanes from sticking

I remember how I kept the VV turbo in my 6.0 PSD Ford clean ('04 E-350)-5W40 Valvoline PBX, every 5000 miles, worked it hard every day. Co-workers had 3 turbos replaced in their van's life, my original turbo was still going strong at over 250K when the van was retired due to the TorqShift losing reverse. Now, HGs, radiator, EGR cooler... different story!

Volvo D3-200 (Marine)

Fuel is direct injected in diesel engines. running the engine hard sometimes allows the vanes clean the full path of the vanes movement. Kinda like a windshield wiper clears the water off of their travel area.

Last edited:
I’d say on your boat the only hope is running it at various speeds (RPMs) including WOT.

On my Cummins Ram I use the exhaust brake to cycle the actuator helping keep the vanes moving and free of soot. Clearly not an option on the boat. Wishing you good luck I know several truck guys who’d had to change them out.

Just my $0.02

Exercise the engine from low rpm to high rpm on a regular basis so that the VG mechanism goes through its full range of motion. The VG closes down at low rpm, opens up at high rpm.

Volvo D3-200 (Marine)

These...

Back