Valvoline VR1 10w30

Ok, the indie performance shop I know, that offers RP as a choice (API, HPS and HMX) has never seen purple dyed engines. Be it recently or in the past. Never.

We do have our buddy Google! LOL! I think it was @RDY4WAR who noted that he's seen it before.

Do the pictures from this thread show up for you?

If not, here's one of them:
531813d1458259409-turbo-lq4-4l80e-dakota-father-son-project-underway-wp_20160315_09_34_37_pro.jpg

Of course like anything on the internet, I'd take what's presented in that thread with a giant grain of salt.

Yes, I'm aware of the colour change behaviour (it would look like normal oil after some miles were put on it), now consider where the dye must have gone, because it had to go somewhere right?
the dye could lose its color with heat i suppose

Old thread revival:

Or stay in the engine as a deposit and assist in varnish formation. I saw the same color change behavior on a brief OCI in a motorcycle. I dumped ($$$) it because I had a hunch. It smelled funny too when hot, and seemed to produce more vapor since the odor was readily apparent coming from the airbox when the bike was shut down. Definitely different from other synthetic oils run in the same bike.

Back