Valvoline VR1 10w30

could be......................but i think that there was likely something else wrong with the engine...............no oil manufacturere would want that failure getting out. Cant say that i have ever seen an engine fail due to lube, that was properly serviced, using a quality oil..........................but i may be wrong..............
I agree with you, using RP definitely didn't cause all that varnish. Way back in the day, I got 12 quart cases of RP from a dealership for $24. It was API SJ Synerlec 20W50. Used it regularly in my 300ZX. The top end of the engine is impeccably spotless.

I agree with you, using RP definitely didn't cause all that varnish. Way back in the day, I got 12 quart cases of RP from a dealership for $24. It was API SJ Synerlec 20W50. Used it regularly in my 300ZX. The top end of the engine is impeccably spotless.
My past experience with the real RP was great. I never had no "stain".. I am not sure if the RP i used was API, but it sure got me out of trouble..........I was in the service, and in my pretty new 94 yj 2.5L..................at Ft Bragg, in an area i should not have been............wheeling.......anyway.............I hit bump way to hard, an engine mount broke..................splat oil filter............engine hot..............blah blah blah....................drove about 4-5 miles offraod in 4wd getting out of the area I was in.............got on the raod 20ft and LOCKEDUP.......................point is RP protected engine allowed me to get to a safe area.............drove 4-5 miles offroad in 4wd with no oil..........pretty good if you ask me.

My past experience with the real RP was great. I never had no "stain".. I am not sure if the RP i used was API, but it sure got me out of trouble..........I was in the service, and in my pretty new 94 yj 2.5L..................at Ft Bragg, in an area i should not have been............wheeling.......anyway.............I hit bump way to hard, an engine mount broke..................splat oil filter............engine hot..............blah blah blah....................drove about 4-5 miles offraod in 4wd getting out of the area I was in.............got on the raod 20ft and LOCKEDUP.......................point is RP protected engine allowed me to get to a safe area.............drove 4-5 miles offroad in 4wd with no oil..........pretty good if you ask me.
Lots of dots omg.

Assuming your little story is true that would’ve happened with any oil. RP is serviceable oil but nowhere near phenomenal.

Hendrick Motor sports runs VR1 100% known fact....................but they are a racing team, I do not think it is recommended to run long intervals though.
Hendrick doesn't get some type of custom blend? Thought it would be unique instead of off the shelf for them.

Running an oil beyond its serviceable interval will cause varnish. And if that oil has dye in it, it's likely that this is going to impact the colour of the varnish. The type of engine, and how hard it is on oil will have a significant impact here.

Also, recall that Royal Purple changed hands. If you were using the SJ version, that was long before that happened. It's hearsay, but apparently things got cheapened after the acquisition and products that were once capable of impressive performance and drain intervals, no longer were, despite the bottle not changing.

Hendrick doesn't get some type of custom blend? Thought it would be unique instead of off the shelf for them.
Who knows, the Drum says Valvoline, the sticker on top says VR1 Full Synthetic. But I suppose you are right and I am wrong, maybe hendrick has it shipped in in a VR1 drum, but is really Supertech.

Lots of dots omg.

Assuming your little story is true that would’ve happened with any oil. RP is serviceable oil but nowhere near phenomenal.
oh, had no idea........have you done the same thing with others........how do you know?...............want some more dots.............?,...............

Running an oil beyond its serviceable interval will cause varnish. And if that oil has dye in it, it's likely that this is going to impact the colour of the varnish. The type of engine, and how hard it is on oil will have a significant impact here.

Also, recall that Royal Purple changed hands. If you were using the SJ version, that was long before that happened. It's hearsay, but apparently things got cheapened after the acquisition and products that were once capable of impressive performance and drain intervals, no longer were, despite the bottle not changing.
Ill tell you one thing..........the oil used to go in purple and in a couple hundred miles the oil would be clear..........like the dye burnt away. Fact 100%

The API SP rated RP is almost a mirror image of Valvoline Advanced synthetic in terms of both ICP analysis and performance tests. Aside from the dye, they're essentially the same formula. HPS mirrors Valvoline VR1 synthetic. RP hasn't been a boutique brand the past decade. After the founder died and Calumet took over, things started going downhill. The dye is my biggest issue with them. Too many engines running RP end up with the engine internals looking like it purred Barney's corpse.

Ford Cyclone engine with ~80,000 miles total, ~60,000 miles on RP. All of that is from the dye.

View attachment 134064

I've seen quite a few under-valve-covers from exclusive RP users after 80-120k miles. Never seen this. Always as clean and varnish free as any other major.

Yes you're right, the Synerlec RP was back when it was a small Houston "mom and pop" company, long before it got bought out and went corporate.

I'm guessing the current RP doesn't make an extended drain oil? I have no idea. I stopped using it back when the dealership I was buying RP from stopped carrying it (maybe that's when RP got bought out?).

Ill tell you one thing..........the oil used to go in purple and in a couple hundred miles the oil would be clear..........like the dye burnt away. Fact 100%
Yes, I'm aware of the colour change behaviour (it would look like normal oil after some miles were put on it), now consider where the dye must have gone, because it had to go somewhere right?

I'd expect any/all oils to change their formulas over time and marketing over time.

I think the big issue was when RP released their API oils, which really has nothing to do with their history of Synerlec. Some confused their API oils with the now called HPS oils. I still recommend HPS, HMX, and don't care for ANY API oils I still use RP oils and haven't ever had any purple staining. Calumet bought RoyalPurple and Belray a decade ago. Calumet also is the fuel in my Briggs mowers/tractors and chainsaw... Trufuel.

There will always be owners that use an oil too long. They'll varnish and sludge their engines. This is not the oils fault.

I don't see any relationship among RoyalPurple and Valvoline, unless someone working in the bottling plant can prove that anything is similar or shared. Don't care for hearsay because VOA data looks similar. Means nothing.

I'd expect any/all oils to change their formulas over time and marketing over time.

I think the big issue was when RP released their API oils, which really has nothing to do with their history of Synerlec. Some confused their API oils with the now called HPS oils. I still recommend HPS, HMX, and don't care for ANY API oils I still use RP oils and haven't ever had any purple staining. Calumet bought RoyalPurple and Belray a decade ago. Calumet also is the fuel in my Briggs mowers/tractors and chainsaw... Trufuel.

There will always be owners that use an oil too long. They'll varnish and sludge their engines. This is not the oils fault.

I don't see any relationship among RoyalPurple and Valvoline, unless someone working in the bottling plant can prove that anything is similar or shared. Don't care for hearsay because VOA data looks similar. Means nothing.

I've ran both the Royal Purple HPS and HMX in our vehicle and have no "purple varnish".

Ok, the indie performance shop I know, that offers RP as a choice (API, HPS and HMX) has never seen purple dyed engines. Be it recently or in the past. Never.

Think it was only the API oils that were claimed to be blended like Valvoline.

Back