Valvoline VR-1 vs. synthetic

There was a recent thread about whether conventional oils have any advantages over synthetics. Seemed like a controversial topic but it got me thinking about VR-1, which Valvoline describes as a "conventional" oil but that still gets a lot of positive reviews, including on this forum.

Is there a specific advantage to, say, VR-1 10w30 conventional compared to a cheaper "synthetic" like, say, Mobil Super 10w30? Other than the flat tappet issue, is there any reason one would want to use the Valvoline conventional for a specific application instead of the Mobil synthetic or a comparable, inexpensive synthetic 10w30?

There was an introductory special on the blue VR 1 syn , at one time my stash was 36 bottles. It worked well for me, I wish I had been able to get more.

Rod

Depends on application. Mobil Super is more or less the "conventional" version of Mobil 1. It's fine for a daily driver that doesn't need Dexos1 approval

Valvoline VR1 has very high phosphorous and zinc levels (nearly double what would be in a normal oil at 1300 and 1400ppm respectively) tailored towards race-oriented cars that don't have emissions systems. It's the best off-the-shelf find for someone who wants additional protection for their track car, especially those with solid lifters & flat tappet cams, without getting in to the boutique brands (Amsoil, Redline).

VR1 would be a step above using a diesel oil like Rotella T4, which is pretty common to toss in to grassroots level drift cars

Depends on application. Mobil Super is more or less the "conventional" version of Mobil 1. It's fine for a daily driver that doesn't need Dexos1 approval

Valvoline VR1 has very high phosphorous and zinc levels (nearly double what would be in a normal oil at 1300 and 1400ppm respectively) tailored towards race-oriented cars that don't have emissions systems. It's the best off-the-shelf find for someone who wants additional protection for their track car, especially those with solid lifters & flat tappet cams, without getting in to the boutique brands (Amsoil, Redline).

VR1 would be a step above using a diesel oil like Rotella T4, which is pretty common to toss in to grassroots level drift cars
Good info, thank! I have some of the 20w50 VR1 conventional on the shelf for my 505 Pontiac V8 but decided to go with Mobil 1 15w50 instead. Mostly due to cold start pressures, I don't wanna burst an oil filter or something on a cold day.

Mobil Super Synthetic carries Dexos certification.

1623367388992.png

Mobil Super Synthetic carries Dexos certification.

View attachment 59973

Sorry I thought that @CheezWhiz was referencing the synthetic blend Mobil Super with the red labelling.

I would use either, but the big difference here is ZDDP levels. To me VR-1 convention (Group II, high ZDDP) is for old school flat tappet engines without exhaust cats. While Mobil Super Synthetic (Group III, regular ILSAC ZDDP levels) is for more modern cars, typically with longer oil change intervals (OCI).

Both good oils, but in this case the car & application picks the oil.

Back