Valvoline Synthetic High Mileage not Dexos?

Just noticed that my latest Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage oil is no longer Dexos as per label. It was last time but no longer I guess. Not a big deal to me but was just wondering if anyone else noticed this change.

Not worth paying the Dexos fee.
I see the same thing happening around here with Top Tier gas. Several name brand gas no longer carries the certifications. Shell is the last hold out here. I'm thinking their on the same thought as not worth paying the fee.

I see the same thing happening around here with Top Tier gas. Several name brand gas no longer carries the certifications. Shell is the last hold out here. I'm thinking their on the same thought as not worth paying the fee.

The Dexos licensing fee is substantial for blenders (and thus distributors.)

Buying quarts/jugs - you won’t notice 30 cents a gallon.

Buying millions of gallons a year.. you notice it.

In Valvoline case, this particular oil is marketed towards out of warranty vehicles and not strictly GM vehicles. It’s also marketed towards older vehicles in general. So why bother paying the fees when it’s not your target market?

I sell both Dexos 0w20 and a non Dexos 0w20. As some of my customers don’t want to pay the Dexos fees because their target market doesn’t care. So they save the difference.

I haven't looked at all the grades but it's probably just that, I know they dropped 5w20 from licensing, last I remember they only were offering current licenses for 0w20 & 5w30.

Same reasons you won't find a 10w30 or any Xw40 oil, there is no certification from GM for those to be licensed.

Not a lot of high mileage engines worried about DEXOS certification for warranty purpose. Secondly, if you’ve been using a DEXOS rated oil from the beginning, you generally would have no need for a HM oil

I like the Valvoline high mileage oil due to the fact it has a fair bit more moly. calcium, magnesium, phosphorus boron and zinc. But it doesn't have the Dexos approved label. I want to run it in my 5.3L with about 90k kms on it. Any reason why I shouldn't run it in a chev. engine?

Back