Valvoline Synpower 5w40 - Track use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up quite a few bottles of Valvoline Synpower 5w40 (non-mst version).

They go on sale here sometimes; and end up being an absolute steal of a price coupled with a rebate.

Looking at migrating my daily drive, wife's car (on LPG/Propane) and my S2000 to this oil and wanted to hear thoughts?

Through the forum search I hear there a plenty of good UOAs on Synpower, but have never actually seen one myself.

I also note that apparently there is no moly in the formula. I was thinking of adding some (Half bottle of Mos2 or MoDTC) to the fill in my s2000. Any benefits?

Any thoughts on how the Synpower will hold up in my S2000 on the track?

Thanks!

229.3mb according to the website. I'll need to check the bottles at home. From memory I couldn't see any approvals on the bottles

Should be fine on the track unless you doing a heap of laps. Its very good oil, underrated in Australia along with Shell helix ultra. Interestingly, those 2 oils are the only ones I will use. I have tried most of them through a 550hp XR6 Turbo on the dyno and as a daily. I wouldn't add the moly it needs to be a precise (unknown) amount to work well with the specific oil. Try the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 next time it has a little moly in it.

Last edited:
That's the full-SAPS 5W40 SynPower. It's rated API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 502.00, VW 505.00, RENAULT RN710, RN700

That's a good oil and I see no problem tracking a S2000 with it. Here is a link to the PDF

I would skip the MoS2 add.

If you need more you can also get a SynPower 10W50 (API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4) which is their high performance version of the oil.

Originally Posted by dave1251
It will be a fine lube I would skip the additives. Do you know what the sump temperature is while on the track?

Thanks everyone.

No idea what the sump/oil temp hits. I volunteer at a track down here in Melbourne Australia. Unfortunately when I head out in the S2000 for each session, I head out in a bit of the rush and the oil temp has cooled drastically. I do my best to warm her up but inevitably end up pushing it on the second lap - Hence the 5w choice.

I do exercise some mechanical sympathy, shifting early where possible etc in light of the above and squeezing in a cool down lap mid session to lower temps.

Currently using penrite racing 10w40 and have a bottle of nulon racing 5w40 ( both Group IV/V) to use prior to using my huge stash of synpower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back