valvoline synpower 0W20 7,162 miles 2011 taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It is very hard to image the Fram Ultra capacity was used up in such low miles. Please cut!

With the oil circulating through the FRAM Ultra, a problem clearly exists there.

It's either a media problem, shoddy construction, or the filter is in bypass.

But either way, there is a filter problem.

That fact is irrefutable due to the insolubles.

IF you see many Earth metal compound additives - that product is a "low tech" add pack - like cheap oils with 250ppm boron and 300PPM Moly and 2200PPM Ca - That's low tech old fashioned. If you don't see ANY EP/DP then its HIGH TECH.

You Got it all backwards.

The high tech is "invisible on as UOA.

You would call the Finest syn oil, FUCHS SILKOLENE

low tech? It evidences NOTHING.

Old Codgers!
old%2520toothless%2520geezer%2520color.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It is very hard to image the Fram Ultra capacity was used up in such low miles. Please cut!

Hey guys...I just saw some discussion in the oil filter section regarding my UOA and the high insolubles. I would like to say my engine is spotless under the cover (based strictly on what I see through the fill hole). It looks new. It runs like new and gets great fuel mpg (tracked to the thousandths). I can't think of any reason for it to have produced excessive insolubles, the previous oci used the QSUD and another XG10575 for 6,700 and that uoa showed 0.3% insols.

The silicon is low so there isn't any excessive dust ingress, either. I have been anxiously awaiting my results from the last six months. Blackstone just got it today and waiting for them to test it. I used different oil and filter, but still looking for insolubles to see if there might be a problem. I just don't see there being an issue with the car but who knows.

That said...I would like to donate my XG10575 to science
smile.gif
and send to someone else for dissection. Someone who can inspect and post pics. I'll gladly pay to ship it if there are any takers.

All I ask is that you give me more time. I run the road for weeks at a time and usually don't get closer than 800 miles from home. I will see if I can get it sent out properly before I get back but no promises. Again, if anyone is interested.

I have to hit the road right now in fact.
wink.gif

I finally got home for a week off and cut open my filter. It looked as good as any other Fram Ultra but I didn't unravel the material and look for pin holes as I was too busy.

It did have some black crud in the can. I'm sure it was from sitting around for the last nine months but I later cut open another Ultra from the previous oci and it had very little black crud in the can.

My thinking is that maybe the high insolubles may have been from the Synpower doing some serious cleaning combined with a couple strong doses of Techron over the oci (?).

The car was a rental and sat for seven months before I bought it (with ~24K miles). My first oci was ~6,700 miles using QSUD and then the Synpower went in.

I'm just theorizing because the Ultra filter itself was picture perfect (and the bypass valve was strong) but with black crud deposited in the can. Again, the can with QSUD had very little deposited after a long period of sitting. Both cans sat with plenty of oil inside.

I guess that would imply that the QSUD didn't clean much (?). I didn't record (nor recall) using Techron during the QSUD oci. I normally record it with my fuel records.

Last edited:
Insolubles with a Fram XG? Must be settling that was concentratedly poured during that portion of the analysis.

Normal wear. Nothing to worry about.

Might want to try HM full synth oil to help clean it out. M1-HM, Maxlife Synth, or RP HMX...

Any oil consumption?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Insolubles with a Fram XG? Must be settling that was concentratedly poured during that portion of the analysis.

Normal wear. Nothing to worry about.

Might want to try HM full synth oil to help clean it out. M1-HM, Maxlife Synth, or RP HMX...

Any oil consumption?

No oil consumption during my oci's. It stays at the full mark and it looks like a brand new engine under the oil fill cap.

I also suspected the high insols were due to the sample sitting for about five months before going to the lab, but after looking inside the two filters I'm not so sure. The filter can from the oci noted in this thread was coated with deposits, the other can wasn't.

Bottom line, no issue with the filter itself (best I can tell).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
IF you see many Earth metal compound additives - that product is a "low tech" add pack - like cheap oils with 250ppm boron and 300PPM Moly and 2200PPM Ca - That's low tech old fashioned. If you don't see ANY EP/DP then its HIGH TECH.

Old Codgers!

Exactly! For someone to look at the add-pack of Valvoline and write it off as junk because it doesn't have loads of moly or boron is silly.

Valvoline is one of the top blenders in the industry and their oils are of excellent quality. They use Lubrizol additive packages which are not second rate at all. Lubrizol is a world leader in additive chemistry for motor oils.

Plus Valvoline oils smell better than any other brand!
thumbsup2.gif
Such a sweet smelling fragrance!
grin.gif

Valvoline and Lubrizol received an award from the SAE a few years ago for their collaborative efforts. To say that Valvoline is cheap and low tech is just wrong.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Old Codgers!

Exactly! For someone to look at the add-pack of Valvoline and write it off as junk because it doesn't have loads of moly or boron is silly.

Valvoline is one of the top blenders in the industry and their oils are of excellent quality. They use Lubrizol additive packages which are not second rate at all. Lubrizol is a world leader in additive chemistry for motor oils.

Plus Valvoline oils smell better than any other brand!
thumbsup2.gif
Such a sweet smelling fragrance!
grin.gif

Durablend is the best smelling oil on the market, no questions asked.

Bump...finally have pics of the filter used in this oci posted with help from car51. He posted for me.

Sorry for bringing back an oldie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back