Valvoline NextGen recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at the problem from the microeconomic perspective. Since I can run waste motor oil in my diesel pickup, any company that wants to recycle my oil will have to pay me at least the same price as diesel fuel. This puts them above cost for raw materials by about 28 cents per quart right from the start. And don't forget that waste oil is already being recycled for other uses. More competition for buying waste oil will drive up prices. Can they make up the difference by what they save in refining costs?

My take on an epitaph for the United States is: "The road to he!! is paved with good intentions."

You're the one that started talking about putting a tax credit on re-refined motor oil. Let's just get the taxpayers to subsidize it, whether they want it or not. This is another step on the road to he!! of which I write.

Last edited:
Perhaps you would be more happy with removing the tax credits that big oil companies get now for operating in the U.S. and that would make their oil products compete on a truly level playing field with recycling re-refiners. Yes?

"With all the money they are making," Markey said to his top energy aide, who recalled the scene, "why does the government need to subsidize their work and their research?"

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/25/nation/la-na-oil-spill-subsidies-20100525

If there is a road to [censored], the asphalt was made with oil from Chevron, Amoco, Shell, Exxon/Mobil, etc.

I have a 2006 EPA Report to Congress, if I can find it, that states that re-refined oil is NOT economical. It would cost the government too much in subsidies to make it work. It would cost the U.S. Taxpayer too much. I will try to find the report, and it gives an internet address so you can print the report. That is what I did, and made it into a book for future reference. I was studying if recycling used oil would work. My conclusion: "It is NOT Economically Feasible." Easier to burn it in oil fired machinery, than to recycle into motor oil.

Mustang2008Z, I believe I read here a while back the the U.S. MILITARY uses it a lot since they HAVE to according to a rule/act somewhere. I dont know personally what we used on the minesweepers that I was on but it could've been recycled/re refined Safety Kleen oil and I wouldnt known the difference.

adam vasbinder

I found the report. It was from the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Fossil Fuel. Used Oil Re-refining Study to Address Energy Policy Act of 2005, Section 1838. Issued July, 2006. As an example: In the report it stated that Germany recovers 94% but only 41% is used in motor oil re-refining, 35% is burned in cement kilns and 24% is processed and burned in other applications. Australia gives High Subsidies for re-refining, low subsidies for low grade burning oils; none for reclaimed industrial oils; collecting 81% of available oil; $10M Australian funded by the government to subsidize recycling. Those are just examples.

Executive Order #13149 of April 21, 2000, required that all U.S. Government Agencies use re-refined oil, and only use virgin motor oil if re-refined oil was unavailable, in their vehicles, and included the military.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
Pardon me everyone but I have a maybe dumb, simple question. Didnt I see in this post earlier, someone say that they thought it was in fact CHEAPER to re refine old motor into usable/good new motor oil? Maybe I misread this so if I did let me know. I am sorry, but I dont buy the fact that it is MORE EXPENSIVE to recycle and re refine old dirty motor oil into somewhat usable and decent quality new motor oil. Maybe I am wrong, so let me know if I am

adam

http://www.ecopoweroil.com/

they claim to use 85% less energy.

Last edited:
I just got through speaking with someone at Lambs' Tire and Auto, Austin, TX. They have the Ecopower Oil, however, you have to speak with Arnold Oil Distributing about obtain quarts of the oil or of any other size of container of the oil. The price to change the oil to Ecopower is: $32.95 with tire rotation. Total cost with tax, title, and license: $40.25. (Cost Overrun, My Opinion)

Thanks, but I will go to the dealer and pay $19.95 to $22.95 plus tax, title, and license plus free tire rotation when I change my oil. Enough Said!!!!!!!
happy2.gif

My local walmart (utah) is going to carry the Valvoline NextGen in a Maxlife formulation this coming week. I asked the manager about it he said it was going to run between 4 and 5 dollars a quart... at least it has a nifty green bottle

Props to Valvoline for being the first (that I am aware of) major oil producer to start a refined product. If I used their oil, which I do not (nothing against them, I am aware they make a good product. I just avoid oils with lots of sodium. Holdover from the days of having vehicles with many headgasket issues.) this would be in my Subaru.

I guess if SOPUS makes one, I'll be using it.

Originally Posted By: TLMjared
My local walmart (utah) is going to carry the Valvoline NextGen in a Maxlife formulation this coming week. I asked the manager about it he said it was going to run between 4 and 5 dollars a quart... at least it has a nifty green bottle

Just saw it at Autozone....$19.99 for a 5 quart jug! Recycled profit I guess.
banana2.gif

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: TLMjared

Just saw it at Autozone....$19.99 for a 5 quart jug! Recycled profit I guess.
banana2.gif

John

I'm not sure why there is such a discrepancy between the quart bottles and 5 quart jugs? In the jugs, it's right about $3.50 a quart????

It's the same price as regular Maxlife though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back