Valvoline Maxlife with Lubegard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Pontaic Montana 3.4L 4 Speed Auto, and every once and a while especially when cold the tranny slips for a fraction of a second and then bumps into gear. Nothing too major but I'd like to take care of it before it might become worse.
I'm thinking of putting Valvoline Maxlife with lubegard in it as I've heard good things about them on the forums here.
I'm wondering about mixing the maxlife with the dexron ATF that is in there. Can I drop and drain the pain, change the filter, and then fill with maxlife/lubegard? I'm hoping to get out as much of the old fluid as possible. Not sure how I could get anymore out of it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In most transmissions a drain (or pan drop) and fill will get about half the fluid out. If your transmission is slipping, it would be wise to replace all or nearly all the fluid. This would take at least three pan drops (about a week apart) to get approx. 87.5% of the old fluid out.

IMO, it isn't worth the time or hassle for the small cost savings of doing it yourself. This is especially true if you don't have a drain bolt for your transmission. Take it to an indy that has a machine (or even a place like Midas that has ASE techs), and have them do it. Tell them you want the MaxLife fluid, if that is what you want.

The LG red bottle is an excellent product. If you get a bottle of that and tell them to put it in they should do it.

Are there any tranny codes? There maybe some underlying mechanical issue but before going into that do the basics first. Accumulator issues are known in these units.

I would do a line off fluid exchange and pan drop with new filter.
You may also want to put a TransGo accumulator kit in this 4t65E unit, it will really help.
2x 10oz bottles of Lubeguard red will also be of real benefit in this unit.

This is how the accumulator is done of this transmission.
If you want to do this yourself and want more detailed instructions post back.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/shift_kit.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. There are no codes... We just recently bought the van second hand. Not sure when the last time the tranny fluid/filter was changed, or what was used at that time. What is the easiest way to do a line off fluid exchange on this van? I've heard of people having luck with the lubegard in these trannys.

I'll keep the shift kit in mind as a later option as well.

Quote:
What is the easiest way to do a line off fluid exchange on this van?

The easiest way is remove the lower line going into the transmission. The line is held in by a clip, use a small flat blade screwdriver to push the side of the clip in and slide another small screwdriver blade behind it to pop it out.
There is 1 bolt holding the lines to the block (14mm head), remove it, now pull the lower line straight out out the unit.

Attach a 3/8 clear plastic hose to the lower line and put the other end in a empty gallon jug, have an assistant start the car and pump a gallon out, shut the engine off, take another empty jug and pump 2 more qts out or until you see bubbles in fluid in the plastic line, turn the engine off.

The pan will now be almost empty and easy to remove.
R&R the filter and filter seal, clean the pan and magnet and reinstall using the same gasket if it is the OEM stiff rubber coated metal one and it is in good shape.
Fill with 6qts make sure and make sure plastic hose is in another empty jug and start the engine. pump another gallon out.
At this point the fluid coming out should look as clean as the new stuff going in if so go no further. If not fill another gallon and repeat.
At this point the unit is about 4qts low.

Reinsert the line and clip, make sure it is seated and reinstall the line holder bolt.
Put 2x 10oz bottles of lubeguard red in and fill about 3.5 qts in, start the engine,check for leaks and get the car level.
Run the tranny through the gears and check the level, it should be about half an inch below the full mark.
Drive the car 10 miles and check the fluid again, add if needed to bring it to the full mark.

Quote:
I've heard of people having luck with the lubegard in these trannys.

It is very good especially in these GM 4T65E units.

Quote:
I'll keep the shift kit in mind as a later option as well.

The Transgo kit is not a bang screech shift kit, it only lowers the shift time to prevent slippage and wear in these units. By the time shift time is at the point that it will throw a code its too late to be helped by the accumulator modification.
I install one in every one of these units i service as a preventive measure and it really helps shift feel and lowers temperature by reducing slippage during the shift.
In a good properly functioning unit it can really extend the service life of these sometimes problematic units.

Wow thanks for the great response Trav!! I really appreciate you taking the time to go through that. I think that is the method I'll be using.

Cheers!

It's harder to find the maxlife atf here in the great white north than I thought.... I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Also I did find lubegard red bottle but they are selling for $23 each!!! They sell for $12 in the US! Luckily I'm close to the border so it looks as if I'll be making a trip to the bellingham walmart to pick this stuff up!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Actually it looks like I could use one of the receiving places just across the border to get it shipped to and then just pick it up. Hmmmmmmmmmm...... Is Amazon the best deal online??
smile.gif

using maxlife atf and lubegard red in my 3 speed auto in my trans worked. I wasn't able to get out of first gear. a pan drop,filter change, and the fluids. it must have "unstuck" the gear. it's been two years now, everything is fine. I haven't touched it since. knock on wood..

Last edited:
+1 to Trav's posts.

I installed the Transgo shift kit, Lubegard Red, and Maxlife, in my Buick with the 4T65E. I only used one bottle of the Lubegard, although I've read it more than once that two bottles work well.

Actually, I think my first post on BITOG was about my experience doing this very job.

Just finished the line off fluid transfer with maxlife and 2 10oz bottles of lubegard red. Took the van out for a spin and WOW what a difference. Drives like a brand new van right away. No slipping, shifts are smooth and quick.... thanks again Trav worked like a charm!!

That is good news! Your welcome I'm glad it worked out so well.

Originally Posted By: HTSS TR
Lubegard Red is one of two Trav's favorite additives, the other is Kreen

Yes that's true, both have been consistently very effective.

I highly reccommend the procedure... the only symptom I was aware of was a slight slip accelerating every now and again, but all the differences I've noticed now after adding the Maxlife ATF with Lubegard are just amazing. Shifts are so smooth and quick now, and downshifting on the highway is much improved as well. I just wish I knew which helped the most... the Maxlife or the lubegard LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back