Valvoline Maxlife oil filter (MC FL820S equivalent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of filter fits the same mold as the High mileage oil in that it removes more sludge if thats true. We all want that so it would make this a better filter than the OEM. Its these kind of claims that make us try them to see if their claim is valid.I look to you and your oil reports to show steller insoulables to sell me on them. Otherwise I will stick with my NAPA Gold filter.Heres the catch if they come close to the Gold they are on sale I will buy anything even Wally World filters. I have to take my car in to the dealer so I can always put on a Nissan filter.
grin.gif

At Pepboys they were all $4.99 I believe. ALL. Every shape and size was $4.99. I don't think it's a Pureone with different packaging because it's cheaper than a Pureone.

Hey Darryl. You say it had a thicker shell than the Pureone? From what I remember the Pureone had a thicker more durable body than the Premium did. Was this a typo or do I have it wrong?

I think the Wix version may have the thicker shell too. Also the FL1A-HP may have the thicker shell as I believe it is a higher burst strenght for high performance.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I think the Wix version may have the thicker shell too. Also the FL1A-HP may have the thicker shell as I believe it is a higher burst strenght for high performance.

You're right about the case on the Wix Paul. It seems heavier than the typical Purolator or Motorcraft filter. The Motorcraft FL1A-HP seems to be even heavier still but that filter is made my Champion labs, not Purolator.

quote:

Originally posted by Sid:
At Pepboys they were all $4.99 I believe. ALL. Every shape and size was $4.99. I don't think it's a Pureone with different packaging because it's cheaper than a Pureone.

I would make a bet that its the same as a Pure One from the detailed inspection I did on all of them.

IMHO - buy the Motorcraft for cheaper, and its better in the case of the FL820s

FL1a
FL300 (a shorty version of FL1a)
FL820s
FL400 (thinner version of FL1a)

The above can't be beat from what I am finding unless you want to spend $10+ a filter. The Motorcraft all appear to be Purolator Pure Ones with proper location of the bypass in the threaded end, and a proper price. I recently found a Walmart with 10 of the FL300 for $2.67 each, I now have 10 FL300 on my shelf............

Don't let the pricing fool you, it costs maybe 50 cents in materials to make that filter, the rest is the typical 5~10X markup thats needed for the manufactures and vendors to market them and make a living.

quote:

Originally posted by Sid:
Hey Darryl. You say it had a thicker shell than the Pureone? From what I remember the Pureone had a thicker more durable body than the Premium did. Was this a typo or do I have it wrong?

Sid, I use the 14670 Purolators (Maxlife VF-16) and the PureOne's shell is slightly thinner than the Premium Plus.

Next time your in Pep Boys grap a PL14670 and an L14670 and give 'em a hard squeeze, you'll be able to feel and hear the difference.

Darryl
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:
Next time your in Pep Boys grap a PL14670 and an L14670 and give 'em a hard squeeze, you'll be able to feel and hear the difference.

I'll have to remember next time I buy a Purolator Premium Plus to make sure it isn't dented from one of your tests.
grin.gif

Hello, my name is Darryl, and I'm a BITOG'er.
gr_eek2.gif

Hiiiiiiiii Darryl.

I'm Wavinwayne, & I'm an oil-changeaholic. I've been coming to BITOG for about a year now. I AM NOT fully recovered from 3k mile OCI disease. My last abbreviated oil change was 2 weeks ago. I only went 3k miles on Havoline synthetic & a Motorcraft FL820S. Little steps.......Little steps.

We need a BITOG creed.
grin.gif

How do you think these remove more sludge? Answer: less dense media - will not filter the smaller particles. I called the tech line to verify, and yes it is confirmed. Don't use these unless you have a vehicle with mega-mileage. It will not filter the smaller micron particles. Not good for newer or medium aged vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by slickhonda:
How do you think these remove more sludge? Answer: less dense media - will not filter the smaller particles. I called the tech line to verify, and yes it is confirmed. Don't use these unless you have a vehicle with mega-mileage. It will not filter the smaller micron particles. Not good for newer or medium aged vehicles.

I guess we will just have to wait & see about that. I have a used Motorcraft FL820S sitting in my garage. It came off my '97 Expedition on it's last oil change. It went 3k miles on Havoline synthetic 5w30.

The Expedition is currently running the Maxlife filter pictured at the top of this thread. When I change the Expy's oil again after another 3k miles, I will cut both filters open at that time & post my findings.

quote:

So this would make it Premium + media, not PureOne?

quote:

That's not what I found when I cut open the VF-16.

The filter media looked exactly like the PureOne media (PL14670) that I had cut open previously and saved. It looked the same, right down to the same number of pleats.

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:

I'll have to remember next time I buy a Purolator Premium Plus to make sure it isn't dented from one of your tests.
grin.gif

I'm looking for some help...

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango, which I have had sludge build up problems in the past...in fact so bad that the sludge was clogging the screen. After dropping the pan, cleaning out about 3/4 inch of sludge from the pan, replacing the screen, and replacing the pump I haven't had the problem of losing oil pressure. Any how, I thought I was past all of the sludge/contamination problems until I got my oil analysis back from Schaeffer... my silica level was 51 ppm, which they consider severe. I was running a Fram air filter and a LF3604 Fleetguard oil filter. Since that test I have purchased a Baldwin air filter and I am continuing to run the fleetguard filter.

I would like to know what is the absolute best oil filter, in regards to primarily filtration but also flow, that is capable of roughly 7500 miles drain intervals?

If I cannot find a satisfactory filter I plan to install a relocation kit that would allow me to run a larger filter...I had in mind an LF3487 "micro-glass" filter from fleetguard. Please let me know your opinion.

Hey Darryl. I stopped by Pepboys today and spent a good deal of time in the oil filter area LOL. Well I found out that the Maxlife filters have the same shell thickness as the Pureone filters not the premium. I did this by pulling out many random filters and comparing to random Premiums and Pureone's. I took a few Premium filters and found the Pureone equivalents and indeed the Pureone had the thicker shell. However their was one Premium that had a SUPER hard shell. It was like the freak filter. I forgot to check for seals and ADBV's. But you're probably right they're probably a mix between the Premium & Pureone and use more pleats.

BTW: The AC Delco filters shell's were super strong. Only other shell's I've felt this strong were AMSOIL & Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by rhettu007:
I'm looking for some help...

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango, which I have had sludge build up problems in the past...in fact so bad that the sludge was clogging the screen. After dropping the pan, cleaning out about 3/4 inch of sludge from the pan, replacing the screen, and replacing the pump I haven't had the problem of losing oil pressure. Any how, I thought I was past all of the sludge/contamination problems until I got my oil analysis back from Schaeffer... my silica level was 51 ppm, which they consider severe. I was running a Fram air filter and a LF3604 Fleetguard oil filter. Since that test I have purchased a Baldwin air filter and I am continuing to run the fleetguard filter.

I would like to know what is the absolute best oil filter, in regards to primarily filtration but also flow, that is capable of roughly 7500 miles drain intervals?

If I cannot find a satisfactory filter I plan to install a relocation kit that would allow me to run a larger filter...I had in mind an LF3487 "micro-glass" filter from fleetguard. Please let me know your opinion.

You can't have the best filtration AND the best flow, really. For instance, a Pure One has great filtration ability. But flow is obviously reduced, although this isn't typically a problem. AC Delco filters are pretty well balanced. Pure One and Mobil 1 are good filters to consider.

If you're using a stock replacement paper air filter, it doesn't matter a whole ton what brand. Paper air filters are generally pretty darn close to one another, plus your concern is oil sludging. What kind of oil are you using, and have you considered using something like ARX, or running Lube Control? What is your OCI, etc... really you need to swing by the oil or additive forums with that one.

[ August 03, 2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Alex P. ]

I started to do an oil change today and found that I didn't have an oil filter. I ran off to Pep Boys (the closest parts store) to get a filter. Motorcraft FL820S was $4.99 and PurOne was $5.99. The Valvoline MaxLife was $4.99, but there was no catalog to tell me which one was needed.

I opened the box on the two MaxLife filters that looked like they might be the right one, and neither had a red anti-drainback valve. They went back on the shelf. No need to continue looking at them for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back