Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30@5,285 miles in 2012 Hemi 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am closing in on 200K miles (100K since acquiring from police auction) and figured it was a good time to do another UOA to see how things look. Based on Blackstone's report, I do believe I will make it to 200K and beyond no problem.

[Linked Image from 7zgw9q.bn.files.1drv.com]

Looks great to me. What's your reasoning for the syn blend? Just curious. Also, what filter and oil went back on and what filter was used here?

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Looks great to me. What's your reasoning for the syn blend? Just curious. Also, what filter and oil went back on and what filter was used here?

Engine had an oil seepage (not enough to be a real drip and be called a leak) issue I thought I would throw some HM oil at to see if it would do anything. After a couple three OCIs it surprised me by seemingly halting the seepage. Then some full synthetic OCIs appeared to induce the leak to return but as a full blown drip. I threw the Valvoline HM oil at it once again, and once again it has stopped after 3 OCIs.

Not enough to prove HM stops leaks, but enough for me to continue to run it.

Still using same Valvoline HM oil and also same FRAM jobber filter (COR2 ACC) as I have been for last 4 OCIs. I got a good deal on those filters ($1.50 ea) in the local Walmart's clearance isle so I bought all they had. Still have 1 more left, so will use it again for next OCI.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
One of my favorite oils. Looks great for your Hemi.

I keep trying different brands and weights, Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 being my favorite for non-cold months. But always come back to Valvoline MaxLife sooner or later.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Engine had an oil seepage (not enough to be a real drip and be called a leak) issue I thought I would throw some HM oil at to see if it would do anything. After a couple three OCIs it surprised me by seemingly halting the seepage. Then some full synthetic OCIs appeared to induce the leak to return but as a full blown drip. I threw the Valvoline HM oil at it once again, and once again it has stopped after 3 OCIs.

Not enough to prove HM stops leaks, but enough for me to continue to run it.

Still using same Valvoline HM oil and also same FRAM jobber filter (COR2 ACC) as I have been for last 4 OCIs. I got a good deal on those filters ($1.50 ea) in the local Walmart's clearance isle so I bought all they had. Still have 1 more left, so will use it again for next OCI.

HA! I was on vacation at the OBX last year and their walmart had a box of the Fram COR 6607's for $2 each. I bought a few (I should have bought all 12). Currently running one in my Mazda. I'd keep up the high mileage oil for sure. I'm a firm believer in the hi-mi formula.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Manganese 129.... haven't seen that before in three digit amounts for a gas engine oil.

I was running a lot of octane booster prior to that sample...so much that my spark plugs turned red and fuzzy from all the manganese deposits.

In fact, I'd say at least the 5 consecutive gas fill ups just before that sample was taken got dosed with OB. I made note of it on the oil slip since I was sure it would show up on the report...and it did.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
For a V8 with that many miles on it I'd say that's an incredible report.

And I had been spending an inordinate amount of time driving at WOT prior to that sampling. In fact, that was another reason I wanted to get a report - in case all the WOT was going to kick something off in terms of extraordinary wear. I plan on sampling this next oil change and the one after that to follow suit on this concern.

I laughed when I saw the manganese... I knew what that meant
lol.gif

What type of octane boost you been running??

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I see the note "camshaft replaced"... did you replace with original, or was it replaced with a billet instead of SADI?

It was replaced by a Dodge dealership while still in service as a cop car. I got the car about 10K miles later. I only knew about the camshaft replacement after seeing it in the service history of the myCARFAX app I use to keep track of maintenance and break/fix repairs I do on it.

Originally Posted by bbhero
lol.gif

Depends on the octane of the gas station's premium gasoline I'm filling up with. If it's 91, I use Lucas' octane boost. It seems to bridge the gap to 93 pretty well.

If it's already 93, I was augmenting it with STP's octane boost. It doesn't raise the octane by much, 1 number at most, but it was surprisingly successful in keeping the KR at bay when I needed a little extra on top of the 93.

If it's already 93, I was augmenting it with STP's octane boost. It doesn't raise the octane by much, 1 number at most, but it was surprisingly successful in keeping the KR at bay when I needed a little extra on top of the 93.

What's the KR and any pics of the car?

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

What's the KR and any pics of the car?

Knock Retard. If I see that in my datalogs then I know the PCM is pulling spark in response to what it believes to be knock in the combustion chambers, and if I agree that it is due to true knock, I try to eliminate it using several different methods, the first of which is always increasing the octane of the fuel I'm running, followed by regarding the spark in the tune itself, and so on and so forth.

As far as pics, hexre's a Folderfolder in my OneDrive that has several good ones. They're about 6 months old, but the only thing that's really changed is I finally got my personalized license plates - BCN HLR.
grin.gif

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoG-8rk50HoeiYwk7_Gm-3aPJYlV1w

Last edited:
lol.gif

Depends on the octane of the gas station's premium gasoline I'm filling up with. If it's 91, I use Lucas' octane boost. It seems to bridge the gap to 93 pretty well.

Yeah Lucas octane boost is a legitimate booster.... 3 whole numbers... I use that too.

Royal Purple has you know is another one... 3 whole numbers or 30 points...

And VP Unleaded is now available at AZ and AAP... 7 numbers per 10 gallons of gas... Or 3.5 per 20 gallons of gas.

lol.gif

Yeah Lucas octane boost is a legitimate booster.... 3 whole numbers... I use that too.

Royal Purple has you know is another one... 3 whole numbers or 30 points...

And VP Unleaded is now available at AZ and AAP... 7 numbers per 10 gallons of gas... Or 3.5 per 20 gallons of gas.

I just bought a can of that VP yesterday. I had never tried it and wanted to do a little experimenting with it.

Some might say I'm just looking for an excuse to go WOT as much as I can. I say, no, it's all about the sciences!

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Looks great indeed.

Thanks, I've actually put a lot of work into maintenance and some break/fix stuff lately, and I'm really starting to question whether it's worth it.

I know it's not monetarily worth it, as I'll never sell the car for any significant amount of money. But it could still be worth it if I end up keeping it for a while longer...just don't know how likely that is right now ...•

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back