Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 3,898 miles 96 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
This is my most recent UOA for my 1996 Chevy Silverado. This sample is Valvoline Maxlife SN 5W-30. The previous fills were PP 5W-30 SM. I switched to Valvoline to try and slow the leaking rear main seal until I can fix it. Let me know what you think!
UOA.jpg

Last edited:
Good shot of Moly, Zinc & Calcium.

A lot of Sodium, but dang, that's nice.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: cchase
What engine?

Where is the aluminum coming from?

Pistons most likely.

That's what I was thinking. Does this engine have any piston slap?

Hi, sorry for the lack of info. I didn't have much time to type this morning. The truck has the 5.7 350 Vortec. Driving is every week, 5 miles to work each way. I go back home at lunch every day to do work around the place. The oil never warms up the whole way by the time I arrive. Then, on weekends I take a 70 mile one way trip to my Grandparants to snowboard. Im sure the truck doesn't mind the highway driving to burn off the junk that builds up through the week. It has piston slap if it is dead cold, but goes away after 30 seconds or so. I fire the truck up and drive it right away, but am easy on it until the oil pressure dropps to normal pressure. (40 PSI crusing) It has been leaking oil slowly (at least thats what my driveway shows!) and I was getting sick of loosing a quary every 1000 miles. I switched to the maxlife and it reduced the leaking to a quart every 2000 miles. I am running Mobil 1 High Milage 5W-30 now, and hope to change the rear main seal when I change the oil. It's warming up enought to lay out in the driveway and do that job now.

Last edited:
Nice results for GM V-8 - they usually show higher metals.

For all the top-off oil, I'm suprised the viscosity isn't higher - I'd expect it to be closer to 11cst, as ML is 11.5 to begin with.....not that's it hurting anything, just an observation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back