Valvoline launches "hybrid specific motor oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If titanium doesn't work then why are oil companies spending money adding it to their oils?

Valvoline
Castrol
ConocoPhillips

Maybe others as well?

Originally Posted by PimTac
If titanium doesn't work then why are oil companies spending money adding it to their oils?

Valvoline
Castrol
ConocoPhillips

Maybe others as well?

I think it probably does work. I recall several years ago 2015PSD posting UOAs of Mobil Super 5k that protected amazingly well out to 15k miles in a Ford 5.4L.

The old MS5K used to have a nice healthy dose of TI in it.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by PimTac

Valvoline
Castrol
ConocoPhillips

Maybe others as well?

I think it probably does work. I recall several years ago 2015PSD posting UOAs of Mobil Super 5k that protected amazingly well out to 15k miles in a Ford 5.4L.

The old MS5K used to have a nice healthy dose of TI in it.

I think it does as well. My understanding is that it is used to increase anti wear capability in low phosphorus oils

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by code5coupe
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Hopefully it will have titanium. Titanium is one of the better anti-wear additives when an oil hasn't reached operating temperature yet.
I see you've had a sip of Kendal's marketing Kool-Aid. Titanium has no lubricating properties whatsoever....."doing my part to dispel the myths"
Then you disagree with Afton scientists, and British Petroleum chemists as well. You're up against some smart people. You'll lose this argument easily........Titanium works well. You didn't "dispel myths". You're wrong about Ti compound's usage in motor oil.
https://www.azonano.com/news.aspx?newsID=6907
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2540286
"Afton's scientists believe the resulting compounds form protective FeTiO3 films on the engine surfaces. 'The titanium chemistry gives us a large benefit in terms of engine protection,' Bell says. "
"Through their analysis, the chemists pinpointed a titanium molecule that displayed the sought-after characteristics: the additive changes the freezing pressure of the lubricant under extreme pressure and it actively thickens and reinforces the oil film. In an engine, that means it offers greater protection at high-pressure contact points, giving the oil the ability to keep metal surfaces apart more effectively with a cushioning effect.
The laboratory results needed rigorous testing in the real world to make sure that the claims could be substantiated. Castrol's team in Pangbourne, UK, led this phase of development to formulate the oil and test the effects of titanium to reduce friction and resist film breakdown." -- British Petroleum, who may be using a different Ti compound than Afton's.
Kendall might have licensed Afton's patent.

You drank it, too?
From the first link: "The measurements revealed that the antiwear enhancement comes from titanium chemically bound into the metal structure of the engine surface, forming a hard oxide, iron titanate. Comparing the test data to that of several possible compounds, the research team was able to identify the specific oxide. While considerably more work remains to be done, the results suggest that titanium could play an important role in future low-phosphorus lubricating oils."
Iron titanate is not titanium, any more than aluminum oxide (common abrasive) is aluminum. I mentioned titanium nitride in my post, and its benefits and limitations. The same holds true for any other titanium compound.
I think we agree more than we disagree.

Regarding Ti, it has some great qualities but it also depends on who you talk to. BP has their own in-house version. Mobil at one time used it in their Mobil Super oils. If they and others felt it was that good they wound be using it. You'd see it in Pennzoil etc. There are alternatives is what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by demarpaint
That's one I'll be passing on when AAP or Auto Zone blows it out on closeout. Nothing hybrid in the fleet, and no plans for one.

Yep. This won't last more than a year on the shelf.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by code5coupe
I think we agree more than we disagree.
So your beef is that marketing just calls it "Titanium" when they should have said "Ti Compounds"?

And then you get hung up on the use of the word "could" from a 2008 article contemporaneously with the research and referring to future replacement of some percentage of ZDDP (which did happen, 2010-now, BTW)?

I have no problem with dropping the word "compounds" from the label, nor their very prophetic "could" statement in 2008 which came true in the case of Mobil Super, Castrol, Valvoline, and Kendall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back