Valvoline High Mileage Full Syn. 5W 30 in a 2000 Tacoma (3rz-fe) 5177 mi oci

A little backstory for this OCI: took a long road trip (~1000 miles round trip) to the mountains of NC for Thanksgiving ('21). Truck sat for long periods after that trip and was mainly used for short grocery runs, putting around town, etc. I guess I'm asking if I should be concerned about the increase in Iron and Aluminum wear metals along with Silicon thats been slowly creeping up, or just attribute the wear metals to hard driving/steep gradients in the mountains from the road trip. Truck runs fine for its age and relatively low mileage given the name plate. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_222707_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_222707_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 302
Could be due to your short runs & mountain hikes. Re-sample with another run & see if the trend continues. For the mileage on this beast it probably wouldn't be out of line but previous samples look great.

I agree with the comments about developing a trend. Give it another 2 UOAs and see if it's a continuing trend or a blip. The jump is too small to worry about now.

Relatively low mileage given the name plate... absolutely! I had a '02 Sequioa, different engine of course, but I religiously used the Valvoline MaxLife HM from about 265K to 340K with 5-8K OCIs. I found that oil performed like a good oil should and at an affordable price point.

I'd be interested to see how the UOAs trend as you go forward. Thanks for posting!

Based on my experience the Fe and AL increase are significant compared to the trend/average you have established and could indicate a mechanical issue is imminent.

Silicon is slowly trending up - possible leaking air filter allowing in more dirt and causing some abrasive wear. Just a thought.

Back