Valvoline EP 0w-20, 5k miles; 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi

The copper is a lot lower than my recent UOA and a couple other recent ones on here.
Does this truck have an oil cooler?
I’m not sure if it does or not? I haven’t seen one yet.
But I haven’t really looked for one, do the 2011’s come with an oil cooler?

I’m not sure if it does or not? I haven’t seen one yet.
But I haven’t really looked for one, do the 2011’s come with an oil cooler?
I may have been optional. If it has it, it will be what you mount the oil filter to, it will be obvious, as there will be cooling lines coming from it.

Explain with detail & proof please, your blanket statement. It’s dangerous to make such a wide claim that can easily be disproven.
They are both xW-20's and Mobil has previous advised that their 0W-20 could be used anywhere a 5W-20 was specified.

Furthermore however, the 5.7L HEMI now spec's 0W-20.

They are both xW-20's and Mobil has previous advised that their 0W-20 could be used anywhere a 5W-20 was specified.

Furthermore however, the 5.7L HEMI now spec's 0W-20.
I meant the part where he implied that all 0w20s were inherently better than all 5w20s.

I agree that generally speaking, 0w-XX oils require better base oils to meet their respective performance standards. But I’m also certain that companies like Mobil & Ravenol & HPL especially, make 5W20s that are identical to or even superior to their 0w20s in every aspect besides cold cranking & pour point.

That said, 5wXX oils generally have a slightly better Noack number, which may be enough to steer a discerning oil musketeer in hopes of reducing intake valve deposits & thickening over time.

I meant the part where he implied that all 0w20s were inherently better than all 5w20s.

I agree that generally speaking, 0w-XX oils require better base oils to meet their respective performance standards. But I’m also certain that companies like Mobil & Ravenol & HPL especially, make 5W20s that are identical to or even superior to their 0w20s in every aspect besides cold cranking & pour point.

That said, 5wXX oils generally have a slightly better Noack number, which may be enough to steer a discerning oil musketeer in hopes of reducing intake valve deposits & thickening over time.
With Mobil, as you know, EP 0W-20 was majority PAO, while EP 5W-20 was not. So, if you consider PAO better, then, in that instance, it would be accurate.

Yes, I don't agree with such a broad-brush label. There are some very low viscosity base oil versions with high VI's and high VII content, like TGMO. They will have much higher Noack than most 5W-20's and most other 0W-20's.

I don't know what the Noack on my 0W-20 is, but with a VI of 165, I bet it's pretty low.

So your last sentence is a big question I have. Generally, the higher the VI, the higher the Noack. It seems that once VI crosses over about the 190+ mark, Noack gets to roughly 15%. It’s not linear, and it’s not something predictable it seems… some with VI around 160 may have a Noack of 8% or as high as say 11-12%. I don’t know enough about the two to make a good assumption, but it seems VI & Noack are fairly related…? Your thoughts?

So your last sentence is a big question I have. Generally, the higher the VI, the higher the Noack. It seems that once VI crosses over about the 190+ mark, Noack gets to roughly 15%. It’s not linear, and it’s not something predictable it seems… some with VI around 160 may have a Noack of 8% or as high as say 11-12%. I don’t know enough about the two to make a good assumption, but it seems VI & Noack are fairly related…? Your thoughts?
They are, because to get a high VI, you have to use an extremely light base oil and a lot of VII. These low viscosity base oils always have very high Noack, so the finished product ends up doing so as well.

Older, Group II oils (or even the old Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 @ 4.9%) with VIs in the 120-130 range are in the 4-6% range. Makes me wonder exactly where the correlation is.
Well, here's some of Shell's GTL base oils:
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.35.11 PM.jpg

And these compare very well to PAO. So you can see that Noack drops precipitously as the BOV increases.

I would have thought that virtually any 0w20 syn (or even 5w20 SN or SP 'dino') would have no problem doing 5K in any non modified domestic engine calling for that viscosity. Looking at this VOA makes me wonder if Valvoline should have called it 'Extra Protection' rather than 'Extended Protection' because most would assume that meant they could run extended OCIs which doesn't appear to be the case based on the TBN.

I would have thought that virtually any 0w20 syn (or even 5w20 SN or SP 'dino') would have no problem doing 5K in any non modified domestic engine calling for that viscosity. Looking at this VOA makes me wonder if Valvoline should have called it 'Extra Protection' rather than 'Extended Protection' because most would assume that meant they could run extended OCIs which doesn't appear to be the case based on the TBN.
Ya I don’t think they intended for it to be an extended drain oil, I think calling it extended protection was strictly for the beefier add pack.
I’m running the valvoline extended protection max life 0w-20 and will send a sample of it off at 6k miles to see how it does.

Reactions: pbm
This is a good report, this Oil seems to run as good as any just make sure to leave the idling time to a near minimum on your 5.7 and you should be good to go!

Good point with the Name

Reactions: pbm
Back