Valvoline ATF In Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a 2005 Titan with 51000 miles.
Had the dealer do a flush at 30000 miles per their recommendation. Nissan says to only use their Matic-J which has been changed to Matic-S.
I have been thinking of just doing a drain and fill every year using the MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF which claims to be suitable for use where Matic-J or S is recommended.
Should I be OK in using the Valvoline which is a (full synthetic)or pay 3 times the cost of the Valvoline on the Matic-J.
Also was wondering if I should drop the pan and change the filter or screen.

Here is a link to the Valvoline ATF.
http://valvoline.com/products/consumer-p...ission-fluid/37

I just did a flush on my pathfinder for $30 with maxlife ATF. Feels like a new car.

I used it in my Toyota Tacoma which specs WS, and its great. I have 10k miles on it since the flush.

Trying new ATFs is always a cr@pshoot because auto trannies are designed to work with a fluid of a certain viscosity and coefficient of friction, etc ...

Safest choice is the factory fluid. Even some fluids that seem fine at first can lead to a change in shift characteristics ... hard shifts or the opposite: slipping.

Bottom line: When experimenting with an aftermarket fluid, be prepared to dump it and revert back to the factory fluid on short notice if the tranny begins to act up.

Never had a tranny act up when using an equivalent product. Not sure of the cr@pshoot that you're talking about.

I'd thumb my nose at the dealer and use the maxlife.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
I doubt the Valvoline is a true, fully synthetic product.

I should have just said synthetic,sorry.

Matic-k(Nissans 3309) is for the FWD Aisin transmissions that Nissan uses and is not a CVT.

Originally Posted By: StrateLOSS
I think your Maxima has a CVT transmission where as the OP'ers doesnt.

Maxima has CVT since 2007. Mine has regular 5 speed auto. But it should be from Jatco, AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back