Valvoline All Climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Save your breath SFCP. It's overpriced and contains a weak additive package.It's embedded in the collective mindset which makes it a "fact".

LOL..yeah so true...the collective mindset almost does more to disprove itself if anything huh?

Quote:

Quote:

When I first started changing my own oil, I used Valvoline because of their involvement in auto racing. I'd rather support a company that supports something I'm interested in than a company that's not involved at all.

Later I moved on to other brands as I realized all the popular oils had to meet the current API specs. I went many years having my oil changed at quick lube places as my employer(s) paid for it. As long as they used a name brand oil in the correct viscosity, I was fine with it. Valvoline and Castrol were common fills in my cars for almost 10 years.

When I went back to changing my own oil, I discovered BITOG and read the criticism of Valvoline for having a weak add pack. After shopping for oil I found that Valvoline was priced higher than other name brands, some of them held in higher regard with the oil nerds here. So I switched to GC, PP and Chevron Supreme, feeling I am getting either better performance for my dollar or at least a better value in the case of Chevron.

My next OCI will be using Valvoline Durablend, as I found a good deal on it at O'Reillys. That's where I'm at now with Valvoline; a good oil that's priced above comparable products but is worth buying if the price is right.

I've bought over 20 5-pack cases of Valvoline All-Climate and Maxlife on closeout from local Walmart's. They're used in service vehicles and when I can no longer find cheap Valvoline, I'll switch to something else. Eventhough I've used the stuff since before I could drive, I have no undying loyalty to the brand, regardless of add pack or MSDS info.

What are you talking about? 5 qt jugs of Val a/c can be bought for 10 bucks...same price as every other 5 qt jug.

The 5 packs are $7.50, even for Maxlife.

And, if you have a Kragen near by, you can buy Valvoline for $1 per quart at least once per month.

Quote:

And, if you have a Kragen near by, you can buy Valvoline for $1 per quart at least once per month.

Nearest Kragen is about 2000 miles away. Kragen is a Cali thing, not a Southern thang.

Quote:

Quote:

When I first started changing my own oil, I used Valvoline because of their involvement in auto racing. I'd rather support a company that supports something I'm interested in than a company that's not involved at all.

Later I moved on to other brands as I realized all the popular oils had to meet the current API specs. I went many years having my oil changed at quick lube places as my employer(s) paid for it. As long as they used a name brand oil in the correct viscosity, I was fine with it. Valvoline and Castrol were common fills in my cars for almost 10 years.

When I went back to changing my own oil, I discovered BITOG and read the criticism of Valvoline for having a weak add pack. After shopping for oil I found that Valvoline was priced higher than other name brands, some of them held in higher regard with the oil nerds here. So I switched to GC, PP and Chevron Supreme, feeling I am getting either better performance for my dollar or at least a better value in the case of Chevron.

My next OCI will be using Valvoline Durablend, as I found a good deal on it at O'Reillys. That's where I'm at now with Valvoline; a good oil that's priced above comparable products but is worth buying if the price is right.

I've bought over 20 5-pack cases of Valvoline All-Climate and Maxlife on closeout from local Walmart's. They're used in service vehicles and when I can no longer find cheap Valvoline, I'll switch to something else. Eventhough I've used the stuff since before I could drive, I have no undying loyalty to the brand, regardless of add pack or MSDS info.

What are you talking about? 5 qt jugs of Val a/c can be bought for 10 bucks...same price as every other 5 qt jug.

Maybe where you are but not even close to that price where I live. It's an OK oil but too high for what you get. Even the new Havoline has not increased in price around here and I would take it any day over Valvoline even if they were priced identically. Havoline= 2.05
Valvoline=2.69
pretty easy choice in my neck of the woods
coffee.gif

"Kragen is a Cali thing, not a Southern thang"

The parent company of Kragen in CSK, which is stands for Checker, Shucks, Kragen ... the three chains which were combined and now which operate as near carbon copies of one another but in different regions. CSK recently bought out Advance Auto Parts which is big in the Southern US. Perhaps you will someday see "Kragen" like oil sales at your Advance stores.

Quote:

Thanks Blue99. All these years I thought AC and Maxlife used Group I and was amazed at the performance of Maxlife for it. Surely if AC is Group II, so then would be Maxlife. Great thread, thanks all. Valvoline does not have a weak add pack any more than most SM oils out there.

Regular MaxLife is a blend of Group II and Group IV. A very good oil, IMO.

I signed up to this forum just to say one thing.

Valvoline is awesome. This is not based on any data or anaylsis or scientific studies or comparisons. I've tried pennzoil, castrol gtx, quaker state full synth, supertech, and valvoline. i don't know how to describe it - but after an oil change - valvoline just feels sooooo slippery buttery smooth. How often can you say that you can actually *feel* the difference between oil changes? I havent experienced that with any other oil. I switched to castrol GTX because everybody on most any forum i go to seems to laud castrol and bash valvoline. But I miss that buttery feeling and now im going back despite what all the forums or experts say. Valvoline just makes my engine smoother than the other oils I've tried. No scientific proof. Just subjective feel.

Quote:

I signed up to this forum just to say one thing.

Valvoline is awesome. This is not based on any data or anaylsis or scientific studies or comparisons. I've tried pennzoil, castrol gtx, quaker state full synth, supertech, and valvoline. i don't know how to describe it - but after an oil change - valvoline just feels sooooo slippery buttery smooth. How often can you say that you can actually *feel* the difference between oil changes? I havent experienced that with any other oil. I switched to castrol GTX because everybody on most any forum i go to seems to laud castrol and bash valvoline. But I miss that buttery feeling and now im going back despite what all the forums or experts say. Valvoline just makes my engine smoother than the other oils I've tried. No scientific proof. Just subjective feel.

In my old Jetta I had to run 20w50. In the winter Valvoline was the only oil i tried that didnt give me 'lifter tick' upon start-up, so that's what i stuck with. Despite my using 20w50 i also got 30 MPG no matter what i did and how i drove it, from the day i bought it to the day i sold it with over 200K miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back