Valvoline Advanced Synthetic D1G2/5w30, 6,087MI, 09 Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unit: 2009 Saturn Vue XR 3.6 (LY7 non DI engine)
Oil: Valvoline Advanced Synthetic Dexos1 Gen2 5w30 with a manufacture date of Jan 23 2018
MI on Oil: 6,087
MI on Unit: 37,300
Make up Oil: 0
Previous fill: Valvoline Synpower D1G1/5w30 (old sodium formula)
Lab: Blackstone
Oil Life Monitor: ~20%

Code:

6,087 VOA Universal Averages

for GM 3.6 Engine

ALUMINUM 5 1 4

CHROMIUM 1 0 1

IRON 12 1 20

COPPER 7 0 6

LEAD 0 0 1

TIN 0 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 60 66

NICKEL 1 0

MANGANESE 1 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 28 35

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 43 247

SILICON 20 10

SODIUM 108 1

CALCIUM 1287 1145

MAGNESIUM 685 844

PHOSPHORUS 712 781

ZINC 788 826

BARIUM 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 60.4 59.6

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.34 10.11

Flashpoint 405 445

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0 0

Water % 0 0

Insolubles % 0.3 0

TBN 1.8 7.5

Since the Antifreeze level reported is zero, I assume the sodium is residual from the previous file of D1G1 Synpower. It appears to be an ok report on this somewhat new to me Saturn Vue XR. I changed the oil when I got the vehicle with Synpower, Ran one OCI for 5K, then switched to D1G2 Valvoline Advanced.

Last edited:
37,000 miles in 9 years!?!? Not used much. You beat the iron universal average target of 20 ppm by quite a bit.
This engine is doing fantastic. I'm a little surprised the TBN is that low, given the miles, but a lot of short trips would do that.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
37,000 miles in 9 years!?!? Not used much. You beat the iron universal average target of 20 ppm by quite a bit.
This engine is doing fantastic. I'm a little surprised the TBN is that low, given the miles, but a lot of short trips would do that.

Roger the short trips, ~75% @ 5 mile commutes to work and back.

Bought it from a 92 year old, He wanted something "snapper" than a 8 year old Saturn to impress the babes at the senior center
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: smithph

Bought it from a 92 year old, He wanted something "snapper" than a 8 year old Saturn to impress the babes at the senior center
laugh.gif

How about a tricycle?

At any rate, engine looks like it's doing well.

laugh.gif

So what did he end up getting?

My FIL's pick was a Camry Hybrid for MIL.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

laugh.gif

So what did he end up getting?

My FIL's pick was a Camry Hybrid for MIL.

I do not know for sure, but I think he may have been turning over his keys for good as his grandson was helping him with the sell.

Very viscosity stable, KV100 hardly changed from the VOA value.

Comparing VOA to UOA numbers - why did the Boron go down from 247 to 43?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Comparing VOA to UOA numbers - why did the Boron go down from 247 to 43?

I've seen boron significantly decrease from VOA levels ever since I started using BITOG. I think it tends to evaporate out of the oil at a considerable rate. I doubt the idea that it significantly attaches itself to engine surfaces, thereby separating itself from the oil.

This boron reduction is more than I usually see. The previous fill had no boron, IIRC. Note how much sodium is left over from the previous fill, so quite a bit of the previous fill did not drain out. If the previous fill indeed had no boron, it significantly reduced the concentration of boron when the new oil was mixed with the old.

laugh.gif

I can relate to the need to impress the babes at the senior center!

TBN is down to 1.8 after 6K miles. This oil would not handle 10K miles OCI. Umimpressive as Valvoline's top of the line synthetic, compared to PUP and M1EP. In other words, not Advanced enough.

Originally Posted by Onetor
How does Calcium increase?

Pick up of residual calcium from previous OCI, variation in testing, etc.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
TBN is down to 1.8 after 6K miles. This oil would not handle 10K miles OCI. Umimpressive as Valvoline's top of the line synthetic, compared to PUP and M1EP. In other words, not Advanced enough.

You're assumption is not necessarily correct. You may find some useful information in the previous post below.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2698779

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back